3. Mercedes S300 | On-The-Straight

IMG_8907 by jerrold2010, on Flickr

4. Audi A3 | On-The-Straight

IMG_8918 by jerrold2010, on Flickr

5. Porsche Cayman | On-The-Straight

IMG_8912 by jerrold2010, on Flickr
    Think fast, aim for the best !

Default Re: Part 1 | Automotives | Panning

1. Ease up on the post process sharpening and contrast, the car is travelling out of the frame, and its travelling towards you. For best results the subject needs to be travelling at a trajectory perpendicular to you.

2. Again over contrasted, and perhaps oversharpened. The last bit of the Mini's bumper has been cropped out of the frame.

3. Halfway decent but would be better if it was more perpendicular and again postprocessing comments apply

4. As above in #3

5. It is a 911, did you add in gaussian blur? It does not look natural. Gaussian blur should not be used as a substitute for DOF or motion blur unless done carefully, subtly and properly.

I could swear I commented on your pans just last week. Not too sure where that thread went, though. You need practice, practice, practice. A good pan shot needs very little in terms of post process. Get your settings right - set up for shutter priority, have your shutter speed set at least the inverse of your focal length (eg. 300mm requires at least 1/250th second if not slower to get a decent sharp pan but it depends on the speed of your subject). After that it is simply technique, positioning and timing.

Default Re: Part 1 | Automotives | Panning

Quote Originally Posted by r32 View Post
    1. Ease up on the post process sharpening and contrast, the car is travelling out of the frame, and its travelling towards you. For best results the subject needs to be travelling at a trajectory perpendicular to you.

2. Again over contrasted, and perhaps oversharpened. The last bit of the Mini's bumper has been cropped out of the frame.

3. Halfway decent but would be better if it was more perpendicular and again postprocessing comments apply

4. As above in #3

5. It is a 911, did you add in gaussian blur? It does not look natural. Gaussian blur should not be used as a substitute for DOF or motion blur unless done carefully, subtly and properly.

I could swear I commented on your pans just last week. Not too sure where that thread went, though. You need practice, practice, practice. A good pan shot needs very little in terms of post process. Get your settings right - set up for shutter priority, have your shutter speed set at least the inverse of your focal length (eg. 300mm requires at least 1/250th second if not slower to get a decent sharp pan but it depends on the speed of your subject). After that it is simply technique, positioning and timing.
    Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I do add the gaussian blur...

I use shutter priorty like 1/40, 1/50, 1/60

AI Servo, with delicated AF button

I will be going for another shoot of panning and I will remember your advices and suggestions.
    Think fast, aim for the best !