Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie needs advice on a camera thats in between DLSR and Point-and-shoot

Default newbie needs advice on a camera thats in between DLSR and Point-and-shoot

hi people,
    besides Sony Nex 5, any other cameras to recommend?
    looking for one thats smaller, lighter than most DSLRs, takes decent shots with good bokeh, good quality video recording etc.

thanks!

Default Re: newbie needs advice on a camera thats in between DLSR and Point-and-shoot

You can consider the Olympus/Panasonic M43s cameras.

Alternatively, if you don't need interchangeable lenses but are looking for a camera that's "in between" in terms of manual controls, you can consider superzooms. Canon, Nikon, Oly etc. all have some in their camera lineups.
    Olympian

Default Re: newbie needs advice on a camera thats in between DLSR and Point-and-shoot

hi candycaine,
    tks for the advice. but whats M43s?
    prefer not to use zoom to get the bokeh effect.. cuz i'm usually restricted in a confined area when i shoot my subjects, not much space to play with zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypaws View Post
    hi candycaine,
    prefer not to use zoom to get the bokeh effect.. cuz i'm usually restricted in a confined area when i shoot my subjects, not much space to play with zoom.

Micro four thirds. There is a dedicated 43 and m43 subforum in this forum. If you're interested, check it out.

Superzoom doesn't mean the camera is permanently zoomed in or anything. It's just the official name for such cameras. They are like normal compact cameras with a fixed lens, but often with manual controls and always with a lens that has a much longer zoom range.
    Olympian

hi candycaine,
    It means micro 4/3 system. Check out the olympus PEN series and you should understand more

ah ok.. will go check it out..

am super duper out of touch......

hi people,
    besides Sony Nex 5, any other cameras to recommend?
    looking for one thats smaller, lighter than most DSLRs, takes decent shots with good bokeh, good quality video recording etc.

thanks!
    four-thirds, micro four-thirds, and/or prosumer models from different brands all fit into the category of "between dslr and pns". Oly PEN, Panasonic Lumix GF1, Sony NEX are the new EVIL hybrids that's currently poised to be the ultimate "in-between" of dslr's and PnS's.

or if you're really loose with your budget, can consider a leica...
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Quote Originally Posted by pasay View Post
    four-thirds, micro four-thirds, and/or prosumer models from different brands all fit into the category of "between dslr and pns". Oly PEN, Panasonic Lumix GF1, Sony NEX are the new EVIL hybrids that's currently poised to be the ultimate "in-between" of dslr's and PnS's.

Eh not really. 43 cameras are DSLRs.
    Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    It means micro 4/3 system. Check out the olympus PEN series and you should understand more

erm, PEN stands for?

erm, PEN stands for?
    Its just a series name that olympus give their half-frame and m4/3 system cameras
    If you are really curious
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_Pen
    Last edited by spree86; 16th October 2010 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pasay View Post

Haha digital rangefinders don't just leave a hole in your pocket, your pants might not even be there after the purchase

is panasonic GH2 considered part of the hybrid?

hybrid - i like i likey

guniang like me cannot carry dualengkong DSLRs to lug around yet want the best of both words cannot squint eye to focus properly also. hubby's D70 has been sitting at home for 4 years and i refuse to use it. left hand start shaking after 5min and face contorted

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    Eh not really. 43 cameras are DSLRs.
    sorry, i stand corrected. quite blur alrdy, sleepy..

hybrid - i like i likey
    yes, gh2 is m43

hybrid - i like i likey

guniang like me cannot carry dualengkong DSLRs to lug around yet want the best of both words cannot squint eye to focus properly also. hubby's D70 has been sitting at home for 4 years and i refuse to use it. left hand start shaking after 5min and face contorted
    Hmm the D70 is rather big, why not get a smaller DSLR like the D3100? Advantage is that you can use your husband's lenses and don't need to invest in a whole other set of lenses

If u do not like the hassle of changing lens, how about panasonic LX5?
    It has wider zoom at 24 to 90mm and have faster lens of f2-3.3. Great for indoor without flash.
    ~PeaceNoWar~

If size don't matter you can consider fujifilm s200exr saw a post 2nd hand with warranty going for $350. Exr has received good reviews...or you can consider fuji hs10. I think fuji is a good and value for money brand for a newbie to try out. Just that the brand may not be as famous as the other big brands..

tks for all the suggestions.
    do keep them coming in!

NEX is ok, or a very small DSLR like a A33/A55 (the a33/a55 will let you use the "normal" DSLR portrait lenses like a 35mm f/1.8)
    Alpha

ok.. LX5... hm.. i'm off to research on Canon S95 now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqqogOb73wc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast