Thread: Digital Vs Film

Default Digital Vs Film

Anyone has tested out and compare quality between digital and film using dslr and slr with the same lens.

In terms of the following:

a)Exposure - which is more dynamic.
    b)Shadow details - which has better details.
    c)Details - which has more details(assume that film has scanned at the same resolution as digital)
    d)Iso sensitivity - which has less grains.
    e)Colours - which has more natural colours in normal daylight (assume that white and balance has been adjusted)

This has been debated to death in the same forum, just do a search and you'll find truckload of related results.

You won't be getting similar opinions from different people with different preference and style of shooting. For any budding photographer, it would be prudent for them to try out both and stick with whichever(or both) that they prefer. Cheers!

The dicussion is almost moot. Never ending. Each medium has its own benefits vs the other. And since all the films has its own characteristics, each scanner adds its own characteristics, each digicam has its own characteristics, add these together and you find that there is never a good way to compare digital vs film properly.

Regards
    CK

What I am going to try is just to answer quickly your points and no more. In fact, I don't think my answers will be anything conclusive because of the varying characteristics of different DSLR sensors and film emulsions.

Negatives tend to have wider exposure lattitude than digital, but pretty equals out when you are comparing slides to digital. Of course, it depends very much on which sensor and which film. Not all sensors and films are created equal.

Refer to above.

c)Details - which has more details(assume that film has scanned at the same resolution as digital)
    Refer to above. Sensors play a big part and as said before, not all sensors are created equal.

Try comparing a ISO400 shots from a 10D with one from a Powershot A80. And then try comparing both with Kodak MAX 400 and one with Fujifilm Superia 400. And with Fujifilm Press 400. And then Illford BW 400. And then Agfa. And then Konica. And then, finally, your own tolerance level of grain/noise. Get what I mean?

e)Colours - which has more natural colours in normal daylight (assume that white and balance has been adjusted)
    See (d) above.

My point being, your question is rather vauge. There are 1001 different kinds of sensors and film being made, and there is no blanket answer. I can say film has better colours, but some say otherwise. There is no common ground being created for a discussion, say between which digicam and which film.

Quote Originally Posted by lsl03
    Anyone has tested out and compare quality between digital and film using dslr and slr with the same lens.

In terms of the following:

Short and sharp answer, up to individual. There are some who love films, there are some who swear by digital.