Thread: whats going on?

Blog Entries

Default whats going on?

today i saw something that i felt kinda shocking.

at this exhibition i saw a few pieces of art from possibly lower primary (judging from the quality). my initial impressions of the exhibition was positive, after all it was to celebrate the spirit of youth.

but i was shocked later on

i have no idea what on earth was the theme, but i saw drawings by children on warfare. and it isn't just simply just stick man figures; it was graphical and quite detailed. blood splatter, killing, death. perhaps it wasn't just the detail, but rather the overall vibe i had from the images was that warfare was a cool and fun thing, especially with the A shoot b, and C shoot A at the same time. the funnier ones was the dialog box: "what(,) we are ambush(ed)(!)"

i could be overreacting to this issue, but what hit me most was one of the pictures. in it, a flag with a Asian looking dragon was hoisted high, people from dragon army in red, shooting planes with Swiss cross like logos on them. I'll leave u to interpret this one yourself.

what are the values that kids are actually having these days? just something i thought we might wanna discuss about.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 14th October 2010 at 09:18 PM.

Default Re: whats going on?

Where and what is this exhibition?
    Olympian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    Where and what is this exhibition?
    cant say :x my friend organized it, i only today just went down help a bit. i'll check with her what was actually going on, cause i find that a wrong message can be sent out.

not like we aren't sending them out already with all the games. but I'm surprised that kids actually drew it out!
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 14th October 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    i'll share after the event ok? haha i'm kinda a last minute helper there.
    Okay.... I'm quite curious to find out.

Maybe it isn't done by children, there are quite a number of adults who draw in the style of children simply because it's their style.

But if it's really done by children...
    Olympian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    Okay.... I'm quite curious to find out.

Maybe it isn't done by children, there are quite a number of adults who draw in the style of children simply because it's their style.

But if it's really done by children...
    well... i try see if i can find a picture quality that is close to those exhibited.

something along this line?

I'm fine if they depicted war as ... war. but once i saw that little bit of weird influence, my alarms are ringing. they didn't show war exactly as a sad painful thing, but kinda glamorous. i could be over reading that's for sure.

XBox generation. :P
    Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    XBox generation. :P
    possible. but i'm more worried at the fact they think its fun

possible. but i'm more worried at the fact they think its fun
    Again, XBox generation... And Counterstrike too. They think headshots and brain splatter are cool.

A very desensitized generation.
    Alpha

Blog Entries

Again, XBox generation... And Counterstrike too. They think headshots and brain splatter are cool.

i play games and i love shooting but i can differentiate what is virtual and reality.

one easy way is always put ur shoes into family of victim. it drags u back into reality whether you like it or not

I thought Counterstrike was out of fashion for quite a while already, isn't it MW2 and L4D/L4D2 now?

Anyway I used to play CS while I was rather young, but have never thought headshots or brain splatter were cool. I don't know how people conclude that playing violent games makes someone violent, I think there's more to it.
    Last edited by brapodam; 14th October 2010 at 09:54 PM.

First, needs to find out the theme for the drawing. However, from your description of the drawings (by young children I assume), it is already disturbing.
    Was the drawing organize by school, community centre or <xxx> ? I believe school/MOE is unlikely to held any drawing competition that relates to war/killing.
    Nowadays, children are smart, they pick up good things and rubbish from TV, movies and games.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    First, needs to find out the theme for the drawing. However, from your description of the drawings (by young children I assume), it is already disturbing.
    Was the drawing organize by school, community centre or <xxx> ? I believe school/MOE is unlikely to held any drawing competition that relates to war/killing.
    Nowadays, children are smart, they pick up good things and rubbish from TV, movies and games.
    well... its organized by schools and other education institutions. the funny thing will be tmr minister is GOH. i wanna see his reaction

edit: some ppl think goh means surname. no... its guest of honor omg...
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 14th October 2010 at 10:40 PM.

well... its organized by schools and other education institutions. the funny thing will be tmr minister is GOH. i wanna see his reaction
    If lao Goh is going tomorrow, watch out for evening news, interested to catch a glimpse of the children drawings. Maybe will see some gossip on wanpao too
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    If lao Goh is going tomorrow, watch out for evening news, interested to catch a glimpse of the children drawings. Maybe will see some gossip on wanpao too
    no lar. not lao goh. i meant GUEST of HONOUR

no lar. not lao goh. i meant GUEST of HONOUR
    OIC
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.