Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    43

    Default Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Has anyone else besides me experienced their camera batteries draining out dry when stored in the Cabi box whilst inside the cameras for a week or so?
    This has happened to me 3 times....(camera was switched off)
    I have a D90 with a MB-D80 grip that holds 2 packs...
    before storage they were 75% and 100%...
    7 days later when I took out my camera...no life.
    Now recharging again! Please let me know if I am doing something NO NO.

    Also, Cabi box is quite warm maintaining 49% at 30 degrees C - is this normal...
    camera feels warm!

  2. #2
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by AnduTan View Post
    Has anyone else besides me experienced their camera batteries draining out dry when stored in the Cabi box whilst inside the cameras for a week or so?
    This has happened to me 3 times....(camera was switched off)
    I have a D90 with a MB-D80 grip that holds 2 packs...
    before storage they were 75% and 100%...
    7 days later when I took out my camera...no life.
    Now recharging again! Please let me know if I am doing something NO NO.

    Also, Cabi box is quite warm maintaining 49% at 30 degrees C - is this normal...
    camera feels warm!
    Done nothing wrong. But do remember that batteries also contain an electrolyte. The juice also can dry out over time in a dry cabinet. To be sure your battery packs is normal, take them out for a week and see whether the behavour is the same.

    The operating temperature is around 28-30deg within the cabinet. You can verify that with a thermometer cum hygrometer.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Are the items inside the Cabi box supposed to feel warm?
    Don't remember this in my friends cabi box.
    Maybe I should take out the batts when in storage.

  4. #4
    Member crystal1993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan, Tokyo
    Posts
    1,049

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    I don't know WHY this happened but i know it WILL happen. Lol.

    That's why whenever i put my camera into the dry cabi i would remove the battery and put the battery in my camera bag. I remember there was a thread talking about this topic too. Thread title is "What do you put in your dry cabi" or something like that.

    Saw a few members said it's best to take out the battery before putting it into the dry cabi, if you put the battery into the dry cabi it will have a shorten life span. (That's where i learn to remove my battery before putting my camera in too, before that i just left it in my camera.)

  5. #5
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    in case u didnt notice, the camera still continues to drain the battery even when it's off. haf u ever noticed n wondered why the viewfinder goes dim and focus points disappear after u take out the battery? that's because the viewfinder is continually eating ur battery at a slow rate even when off to maintain the brightness + the focus points etc in the viewfinder. tat's y ur batteries go flat after a week of storage whilst in cameras. in the manuals they even mentioned to remove battery after usage when u wanna store the cameras away.

    well if u dun believe me, u can try this on ur own. remove the lens cap and look thru the viewfinder wif the camera off. then remove the battery n look into the viewfinder again.

    it has nothing got to do with your dry cabi. even when u store them outside ur dry cabi but wif ur batts inside the cameras the results r the same.
    Last edited by Irvine; 14th October 2010 at 01:57 PM.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Guess I will have to take them out before storage.
    Will this affect the time and date in the camera or thats sucking from somewhere I don't know? Thanks for the tips.

  7. #7
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by AnduTan View Post
    Guess I will have to take them out before storage.
    Will this affect the time and date in the camera or thats sucking from somewhere I don't know? Thanks for the tips.
    no it won't.
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    all my batteries are inside my cameras excepts those spares, dry cabinet has no effects on Li ion batteries, seem like your batteries are poorly maintain or reach end of it life.

    you only need to remove batteries for long term storage.

    please do a search for maintaining Li ion batteries.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    I think your batteries have seen better days and it is time to replace them. It has nothing to do with the environment in the box.

  10. #10
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    all my batteries are inside my cameras excepts those spares, dry cabinet has no effects on Li ion batteries, seem like your batteries are poorly maintain or reach end of it life.

    you only need to remove batteries for long term storage.

    please do a search for maintaining Li ion batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    I think your batteries have seen better days and it is time to replace them. It has nothing to do with the environment in the box.

    TS mentioned that it happened to him 3 times so in order to ascertain that the batteries indeed had seen better days is to put them outside for the same period and verify that it still hold a charge or otherwise.

    TS did not say how old were his batteries or how many times he has previously charged them.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  11. #11
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Done nothing wrong. But do remember that batteries also contain an electrolyte. The juice also can dry out over time in a dry cabinet. To be sure your battery packs is normal, take them out for a week and see whether the behavour is the same.
    That would only be the case if TS uses Alkaline batteries. But only daring or stingy people try to recharge them and (AFAIK) only Pentax DSLR use AA types batteries where Alkalines could be used. All other cameras live on Lithium Ion types .. and they don't leak. If they did, they would give you a nice warm firework.
    Back to TS: Warm temperatures also contribute to self-discharge. That goes along with the question about the age of the batteries or whether they are original ones or 3rd party.
    Another idea: take out one battery, leave only one battery in the grip and watch. Since both batteries run in parallel the one with lower charge level can affect the other one.
    Your temperature is normal, it's according the climate here. Make sure the dry cabinet is not heated up by sunlight or other sources of heat. The lower RH in a dry cabinet definitely does not affect the battery charge at all.
    Last edited by Octarine; 14th October 2010 at 10:10 PM.
    EOS

  12. #12
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    all my batteries are inside my cameras excepts those spares, dry cabinet has no effects on Li ion batteries, seem like your batteries are poorly maintain or reach end of it life.

    you only need to remove batteries for long term storage.

    please do a search for maintaining Li ion batteries.
    I agree on this... I have kept batteries in the camera and there have never been any problems, except when my batts are old and life ending soon... have since replaced those batteries.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  13. #13

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    I agree on this... I have kept batteries in the camera and there have never been any problems, except when my batts are old and life ending soon... have since replaced those batteries.
    no problems here either

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    No problems with mine too. Looks like your batteries may have reach its end of life. Time to get a fresh pair of batteries. If you are not planning to use your camera for weeks or a few months, its best if you take it out from your camera and store in a cool place. Cheers!

  15. #15
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    That would only be the case if TS uses Alkaline batteries. But only daring or stingy people try to recharge them and (AFAIK) only Pentax DSLR use AA types batteries where Alkalines could be used. All other cameras live on Lithium Ion types .. and they don't leak. If they did, they would give you a nice warm firework.
    Bro Octarine...You're right. I've overlook that fact. Actually I was thinking about those AA batteries. My bad.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  16. #16
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by AnduTan View Post
    Has anyone else besides me experienced their camera batteries draining out dry when stored in the Cabi box whilst inside the cameras for a week or so?
    This has happened to me 3 times....(camera was switched off)
    I have a D90 with a MB-D80 grip that holds 2 packs...
    before storage they were 75% and 100%...
    7 days later when I took out my camera...no life.
    Now recharging again! Please let me know if I am doing something NO NO.

    Also, Cabi box is quite warm maintaining 49% at 30 degrees C - is this normal...
    camera feels warm!
    TS, question for you,

    Your grip is original Nikon right (since you said MB-D80, I assume so)?

    Are your batteries original Nikon batteries as well? Or 3rd party?

    I never had problems with battery draining in camera in dry cab. Not even if the batteries where in there several weeks. No problems with D40x, no problems with D90, no problems with D300s. But the 3rd party battery that came as a spare for the D40x did drain faster than the other batteries.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th October 2010 at 10:48 PM.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    TS, question for you,

    Your grip is original Nikon right (since you said MB-D80, I assume so)?

    Are your batteries original Nikon batteries as well? Or 3rd party?

    I never had problems with battery draining in camera in dry cab. Not even if the batteries where in there several weeks. No problems with D40x, no problems with D90, no problems with D300s. But the 3rd party battery that came as a spare for the D40x did drain faster than the other batteries.
    err...if I read well...this question is for me? Me Andu...
    Anyway...
    Yes...its an original MB-D80 nikon for my D90.
    2 batteries were charged to its max juice 100%.
    1 is a chiong - Apr 2010 15 Cycles <
    the other is an original Nikon. - Aug 2010 5 cycles <
    This rarely happens but when it drains out - its 0%.
    The cam states its a 4 (new).
    What is terrible is when I get the chance to shoot ...its 0%!!!
    This happen 3 times and was wondering why. It has been in the Cab since I bought my cam in Apr 2010.
    The odd thing is that this newer Cabi feels warm - the items inside feel warm to the touch and my digital meter reads 50% - 60% only!!! Is the heat the cause...my older analog cabi meter box is always cool maintaining the same humidity level.
    hmmm,

  18. #18
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by AnduTan View Post
    err...if I read well...this question is for me? Me Andu...
    Anyway...
    Yes...its an original MB-D80 nikon for my D90.
    2 batteries were charged to its max juice 100%.
    1 is a chiong - Apr 2010 15 Cycles <
    the other is an original Nikon. - Aug 2010 5 cycles <
    This rarely happens but when it drains out - its 0%.
    The cam states its a 4 (new).
    What is terrible is when I get the chance to shoot ...its 0%!!!
    This happen 3 times and was wondering why. It has been in the Cab since I bought my cam in Apr 2010.
    The odd thing is that this newer Cabi feels warm - the items inside feel warm to the touch and my digital meter reads 50% - 60% only!!! Is the heat the cause...my older analog cabi meter box is always cool maintaining the same humidity level.
    hmmm,
    Another question for you:
    Buy a hygrometer cum thermometer from DIY. It should cost no more than $15. Use it to countercheck the humidity level. It should read somewhere between 35-45%. The operating temperature is somewhere between 28-30deg. Anything outside this value should be sent back to service center.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  19. #19

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    I put batteries into dry cabinet too and it out of energy within a few days. So I take out all batteries nowadays before putting the cam back to the cabinet and the issue is almost not as drastic as before.

  20. #20
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Battery Draining Out in Cabi Box

    Quote Originally Posted by AnduTan View Post
    err...if I read well...this question is for me? Me Andu...
    Anyway...
    Yes...its an original MB-D80 nikon for my D90.
    2 batteries were charged to its max juice 100%.
    1 is a chiong - Apr 2010 15 Cycles <
    the other is an original Nikon. - Aug 2010 5 cycles <
    This rarely happens but when it drains out - its 0%.
    The cam states its a 4 (new).
    What is terrible is when I get the chance to shoot ...its 0%!!!
    This happen 3 times and was wondering why. It has been in the Cab since I bought my cam in Apr 2010.
    The odd thing is that this newer Cabi feels warm - the items inside feel warm to the touch and my digital meter reads 50% - 60% only!!! Is the heat the cause...my older analog cabi meter box is always cool maintaining the same humidity level.
    hmmm,
    You have two batteries of different make and different capacities (and may have minute differences in voltages). My advice is to dump the 'chiong' battery. Original Nikon battery for D90 costs only $49 each nowadays (if you know where to get them) and they last a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •