Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: How to setup studio light?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default How to setup studio light?

    Ok... i know i am just throwing money...

    but i bought the Akira set, trying to experiment with it, haven open the box yet...

    but kinda thinking... wats the Softbox use for? den wats the umbrella's purpose? & best of all wats a snoot?

    actually i still wondering my purpose of buying... mayb just take some product shots... so the 3 lights placement, can use the 2 soft on the side, 1 with umbrella behind or in centre, den all shine on the pro line tent? or can all direct into the tent without the umbrella & softbox? i have 2 more stand lights which i find that they are not 'bright' enough...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bedok, Singapore
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    Ok... i know i am just throwing money...

    but i bought the Akira set, trying to experiment with it, haven open the box yet...

    but kinda thinking... wats the Softbox use for? den wats the umbrella's purpose? & best of all wats a snoot?

    actually i still wondering my purpose of buying... mayb just take some product shots... so the 3 lights placement, can use the 2 soft on the side, 1 with umbrella behind or in centre, den all shine on the pro line tent? or can all direct into the tent without the umbrella & softbox? i have 2 more stand lights which i find that they are not 'bright' enough...
    hehe, attend Brett's workshop and you'll learn how to set up

  3. #3

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    Ok... i know i am just throwing money...

    but i bought the Akira set, trying to experiment with it, haven open the box yet...

    but kinda thinking... wats the Softbox use for? den wats the umbrella's purpose? & best of all wats a snoot?

    actually i still wondering my purpose of buying... mayb just take some product shots... so the 3 lights placement, can use the 2 soft on the side, 1 with umbrella behind or in centre, den all shine on the pro line tent? or can all direct into the tent without the umbrella & softbox? i have 2 more stand lights which i find that they are not 'bright' enough...
    you can do anything with it, experiment with it, there is really no right or wrong way especially when you are starting on a clean slate. Have fun.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    brett's workshop? hmmz... where is he?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    i explain briefly for u,

    softbox gives a soft effect concentrated at an angle depending of the size the the softbox,it is the most popular way to give nice soft effect.

    Umbrella is used for lighting up wider area by bouncing the light on the umbrella,diff size of umbrella are available too.they give a *harder* light effect,most commonly used to light up big groups.

    Snoot is used to pinpoint the flash effect on a specific area,usually used for hairlight,product shoots,and special effect on the background.

    most common lighting set up is usually 2:1:1 where the softbox could be used as the main at one stop above the fill in flash(umbrella) and the snoot.

    like the previous post pointed out,u can try out diff lighting ratio with some reflectors and colored gel for the snoot,no right or wrong ,only nice or not nice effect.

    Did u get a flash light meter to measure the flash output as well ?


    Have fun~!

  6. #6
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    brett's workshop? hmmz... where is he?
    chinatown. very convenient. just take to chinatown mrt, use the underpass to cross the street. walk down the open air pasar malam to the end of the street. turn left and u'll see the entrance to the studio on the second floor of the shophouse.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kex
    i explain briefly for u,

    softbox gives a soft effect concentrated at an angle depending of the size the the softbox,it is the most popular way to give nice soft effect.

    Umbrella is used for lighting up wider area by bouncing the light on the umbrella,diff size of umbrella are available too.they give a *harder* light effect,most commonly used to light up big groups.

    Snoot is used to pinpoint the flash effect on a specific area,usually used for hairlight,product shoots,and special effect on the background.

    most common lighting set up is usually 2:1:1 where the softbox could be used as the main at one stop above the fill in flash(umbrella) and the snoot.

    like the previous post pointed out,u can try out diff lighting ratio with some reflectors and colored gel for the snoot,no right or wrong ,only nice or not nice effect.

    Did u get a flash light meter to measure the flash output as well ?


    Have fun~!
    hey thanks!

    hmm which flash light meter is nice?

    so in a way, if taking group shots or big object, i need umbrella, den for portraits would be using softbox direct at them... then snoot is like for macro shots? btw wats a color gel?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    chinatown. very convenient. just take to chinatown mrt, use the underpass to cross the street. walk down the open air pasar malam to the end of the street. turn left and u'll see the entrance to the studio on the second floor of the shophouse.
    need to register or something to attend? wats the normal timings?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    hey thanks!

    hmm which flash light meter is nice?

    so in a way, if taking group shots or big object, i need umbrella, den for portraits would be using softbox direct at them... then snoot is like for macro shots? btw wats a color gel?
    There are many diff models of flash meters available in the market made by Sekonic,minolta,gossen and polaris etc..the price varies from $200+ to $800 depending on how "cheem" the meter functions..

    all those examples of light diffusing methods u mentioned can be used for anything depending on the results u are going for.
    Color gel is something like a big piece of colored filter u add onto the strobe head to alter the color of the light source to get diff results ie: blue red or any color available.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    where do you guys buy the horizontal rod for the lights? and also the horizontal rods for the camera?

    pic example...




    oh ya yesterday den i have the time to open up everything to play with...
    click my sig to see the operating theater...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    oh ya the lights come with this wire for sync, but can't seem to fit F828... i wonder if F828 can be used anot... now i use the F32x to flash once den the rest flash... to human eye... i see no diff, cos i was blinded by them at the same time.... so any way to sync them all together with my cam?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    this pic is the unedited pic of my 'studio'... its actually a 'storeroom' in my office/factory...

    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    nobody know where or how 2 link 3 flash with sync cable to an F828? also where to buy the horizontal mount?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ClubSNAP community
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    You can try to set the other 2 strobes to slave. Then you only need to link 1 strobe to your camera via sync-cord. The other 2 with fire automatically.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Azure, u mean using the sensor to flash? btw the cable it gave came with 1 side which resemble a headphone jack & another side is a rather small pin... i wonder where to plug that, the f828 only have 1 acc terminal, which is like headphone jack.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  16. #16

    Default

    I presume the (sync) cord you're talking about fits into a PC (Prontor-Compur) terminal? You may want to check at Cathay if they have a hot-shoe to PC terminal adaptor or something like that, or a sync cord that will fit on your hotshoe and connect to your strobes.

    You may want to check that the trigger voltage of the flash is not more than 6V as well.
    Last edited by Ah Pao; 29th June 2004 at 03:02 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •