Thread: Harbin/ Beijing

Default Harbin/ Beijing

Hi guys i would be taking a tour to Harbin in December, as we all know temperatures are extreme there so any tips and advice, i would also be in Beijing for F&E for 3 days so besides touring Sites such as the Forbidden City, Great Wall any place of interest worth visiting? Thanks!

Default Re: Harbin/ Beijing

Ah boy Harbin ! The last time I was there was towards the very end of December...
    Temperature easily -20 deg C even on day time..The coldest night I experienced was -30 deg C. Here the average temperature is about +30 deg C so you are talking about 60 deg C temperature difference !!

hmm... the sudden temperature shift will be an issue. buy wintergear there from shops like metersbonwe (dont ask me how to pronounce) , its a chain store that sells winterwear at affordable prices.

you will need good boots, preferably get a sole insert to pad or else your feet will suffer.

long johns as 'underwear', then a thick warmer above, followed by going out clothes, top off with a downfeather coat. scarf around neck, to Break the icy winds.

personally i wore a face mask to cover nose from cold winds.

get gloves, though you'll have to remove to shoot easily. keep cam in bag when not using,compose fast, shoot fast. its very intense on fingers in that weather.

avoid black spots on the ice on the roads, its very slippery.
    apply lipbalm and drink more water.

enJoy the bbq (shao kao)served at restaurants there, its as good as the huo guo.

if lodging not settled yet, look for xi long; rates are good if you buy the member card(ten sgd for the card iirc)
    but gets full house real fast...
    1 Camera Body and a couple lenses.

I just came back from Harbin, Jilin, Shen Yang and Beijing. Harbin and Jilin are cold now due to sudden temperature drop but Shen Yang and Beijing are still alright, aircon temperatures. You should go to Harbin Underwater World show, very nice showcase by the performers and the dolphins. Other than that, Harbin is famous for their night street neon lights all over the roads and bridges. Some night shots will be nice but you got to take note of condensation issues when you return to the hotels.

For Harbin, i believe the coldest period would be around mid to end January. The last time i was there 5 years ago, it easily hovered around -25 after 3++ pm(sunset). Go for the local winter gear. If you have a guide, get them to recommend a local shop. Trust me its a lot cheaper & it really keeps you warm as these gears are worn by the locals. Anything from boots to knee pads(for those aching joints), this shops will stock. Pls note that they are not exactly fashionable but they do the job.

Important no jeans (cotton materials) or track shoes (rubberized shoes). Pants materials best polyester or nylon materials. They don't absorb moisture. Shoe hard heels and leather will be best. The places are slippery and at times you walk on ice. Best you buy shoes from there cos they are made to walk on icy surface. Slip and fall can hurt you badly and damage your shooting gears.

Go to Harbin for the annual ice festival. I was there years ago but now it's even more stunning and it's great for photography.

Do try to get a good down jacket as it will keep u toasty but a thermal is equally important.I remember it was so cold i couldn't talk properly coz the muscles all frozen still haha so a thick woollen scarf and beanie is also important.

if you're into art, check out 798 art district in Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by LukaviZ View Post
    hmm... the sudden temperature shift will be an issue. buy wintergear there from shops like metersbonwe (dont ask me how to pronounce) , its a chain store that sells winterwear at affordable prices.
    You bros travel F&E or tour group?

Errmm.... I suppose is buy some winter wear from SG first then go there to buy more? But if follow tour group I guess bo bian have to buy all from SG becoz they bo bao will go shopping the first day?

Quote Originally Posted by Shuichi79 View Post
    You bros travel F&E or tour group?

Errmm.... I suppose is buy some winter wear from SG first then go there to buy more? But if follow tour group I guess bo bian have to buy all from SG becoz they bo bao will go shopping the first day?
    In fact, i think they do. Last time i was there, the moment we landed that night. The guide brought us to the local winter shop clothing. If memory serves me right, its CTC. Maybe you can have a chat with your agency. More than half of my group were not appropriately prepared(dressed) for the weather there.

Quote Originally Posted by hetfieldpaul View Post
    Hi guys i would be taking a tour to Harbin in December, as we all know temperatures are extreme there so any tips and advice, i would also be in Beijing for F&E for 3 days so besides touring Sites such as the Forbidden City, Great Wall any place of interest worth visiting? Thanks!
    My favorite places is Temple of heaven(天坛)and Nanluoguxiang Hutong (南锣鼓巷胡同).
    cameras are not made of tofu

Thanks guys for all your help! Btw anyone care to reccomend places in Beijing for Good Peking Duck ?

A down-filled coat is absolutely necessary if you take a tour to Harbin in December! For me, December is not the best travel time to Harbin because the Harbin International Ice and Snow Fesitval (lasts from Jan. 5 to late Feb. annually), the ice lantern art fair, and the Ice & Snow World still not start.

In addition to the Forbidden City, Great Wall, Beijing has other must-see attractions, such as Temple of Heaven, Huntongs, Lama Temple, Summer Palace, Ming Tombs etc..
    Last edited by ed9119; 9th November 2010 at 10:54 PM.

Beijing Forbidden City -
    Don't use the trishaws operating outside the rear entrance/Hou Hai side.
    They are parked along the road, hawking rides to some nearby alleyways to see old Beijing. They may bring you to a quiet alley where his accomplices lie in wait. Bad experience, thank God I got away unscathed. Otherwise Beijing is relatively(very) safe.

Peking Roast Duck - The Quan Ju De chain of restaurants famous for this dish is everywhere in Beijing. There's 2 near Tianamen Square, which is outside Forbidden City, just ask the policemen which are plentiful around the square. If you are shopping around Wang Fu Jing (like Orchard Rd), there's 1 there too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laotan View Post
    A down-filled coat is absolutely necessary if you take a tour to Harbin in December! For me, December is not the best travel time to Harbin because the Harbin International Ice and Snow Fesitval (lasts from Jan. 5 to late Feb. annually), the ice lantern art fair, and the Ice & Snow World still not start.

In addition to the Forbidden City, Great Wall, Beijing has other must-see attractions, such as Temple of Heaven, Huntongs, Lama Temple, Summer Palace, Ming Tombs etc..
    advertising url removed.... thanks for the rare information though

infraction served
    Last edited by ed9119; 9th November 2010 at 11:05 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast