Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: F3.5

Default Re: F3.5

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    Just another thing to note, please get your terms in order: aperture cannot be higher or lower. Aperture is not the same as f number either. That is, f 5.6 does not mean the aperture is 5.6.

Aperture refers to the opening that allows light to pass through in your lens. Since it is an opening, it can either be bigger or smaller but not higher or lower

F number is inversely related to aperture. If you have a small f number, your aperture is bigger. By the laws of physics, this translates to a shallower depth of field, and not "bokeh effect".

Please stop using the wrong terms. Not only is it factually inaccurate, it confuses people who are trying to understand what you're trying to say.
    ohh.. icic.. sorry if i confuse other ppl.. icic.. now will use shallower dof..!

Quote Originally Posted by fastforwardtofriday View Post
    o.0 haha.. no money!! budget like 1.2k leh.. hmmm.. 18-135mm lens can do the trick?
    for 18-135mm, its the same as 18-55 in terms of the aperture. at 18, the widest will be f3.5 and 135 would be f5.6.

What we meant by investing in those 2k lens are those
    70-200mm f2.8
    17-50 f2.8(not 2k lens)
    100mm f2.8(1k+ only)

these are the lens that are at f2.8 constant. be it 70 or 200, 17 or 50.
    For kit lens, its a starter lens with widest 3.5 to 5.6. thats the widest it can go.
    Nikon D90 | N18-105mm | T90mm | SB-600
    My Flickr

ohh.. icic.. sorry if i confuse other ppl.. icic.. now will use shallower dof..!
    don't worry. we're not confused.
    But you're confusing yourselves.
    Hope you can go try out more soon.
    all the best.
    My Flickr

o.0 haha.. no money!! budget like 1.2k leh.. hmmm.. 18-135mm lens can do the trick?
    I thought that would be clear meanwhile. Here the short answer: Yes, it can!
    Disclaimer: provided you have a decent understanding about the relation between aperture, depth of field, distance between camera and subject as well subject to background ... why do I repeat all that?
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Senifer View Post
    for 18-135mm, its the same as 18-55 in terms of the aperture. at 18, the widest will be f3.5 and 135 would be f5.6.

What we meant by investing in those 2k lens are those
    70-200mm f2.8
    17-50 f2.8(not 2k lens)
    100mm f2.8(1k+ only)

these are the lens that are at f2.8 constant. be it 70 or 200, 17 or 50.
    For kit lens, its a starter lens with widest 3.5 to 5.6. thats the widest it can go.
    ic.. sad sad.. so i only can go 18 then set F3.5? :C

wah 2k lens!1 no money!! nvm bah..

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I thought that would be clear meanwhile. Here the short answer: Yes, it can!
    Disclaimer: provided you have a decent understanding about the relation between aperture, depth of field, distance between camera and subject as well subject to background ... why do I repeat all that?
    haha! thanks! will get that lens instead of 18-55mm!! i understand abit during my try in havery noman! thanks anw!!

ic.. sad sad.. so i only can go 18 then set F3.5? :C

wah 2k lens!1 no money!! nvm bah..
    i don't know what you mean by "only can go 18 then set f3.5.
    However in my words, it would be, at 18mm, the widest you can get is f3.5.
    My Flickr

haha! thanks! will get that lens instead of 18-55mm!! i understand abit during my try in havery noman! thanks anw!!
    i thought you already decided on 18-135mm?
    personally, i feel its good to have a long start kit lens like what i had.
    So i realised my fave shooting focal length after sometimes.
    Just when i started, my friends introduce me 50mm. but for me its too near the subject,
    in the end, i got myself 90mm. which is more comfortable for me and also the subject if he/she's a stranger.
    My Flickr

i thought you already decided on 18-135mm?
    personally, i feel its good to have a long start kit lens like what i had.
    So i realised my fave shooting focal length after sometimes.
    Just when i started, my friends introduce me 50mm. but for me its too near the subject,
    in the end, i got myself 90mm. which is more comfortable for me and also the subject if he/she's a stranger.
    i don't know what you mean by "only can go 18 then set f3.5.
    However in my words, it would be, at 18mm, the widest you can get is f3.5.
    opps.. i meant 18mm then the camera allow me set at F3.5 :C

o.0 i was deciding wihc lens is better mah.. haha.. so i decided to go for 18-135mm.. yeah the zoom range for 55mm abit short for me.. then the 18mm abit like abit too wide.. lols.. stress.. haha..

o.0 which lens u got when u got ur dslr?

o.0 i was deciding wihc lens is better mah.. haha.. so i decided to go for 18-135mm.. yeah the zoom range for 55mm abit short for me.. then the 18mm abit like abit too wide.. lols.. stress.. haha..

There is no "which lens is better". It's only a question of which lens is more suitable for your use. What do you plan on shooting?

You can also consider a 2 lens kit.
    Olympian

There is no "which lens is better". It's only a question of which lens is more suitable for your use. What do you plan on shooting?

You can also consider a 2 lens kit.
    hmmm.. i know both are the same only just that one lens have longer focus length..
    ermm.. from- flowers,indoor,outdoor,low light,walk about shooting.. mostly just anything that is nice just take out camera snap done!

no budget for 2lens kit.. budget like 1.3k

if you think 18mm is too wide, thats because you havent start shooting.
    You totally feel differently when you start to shoot.
    Not gonna comment anymore unless you start shooting.
    My Flickr

Agreed.

Furthermore, 18mm is more than wide enough for the types of shooting mentioned. I don't understand how you know 55mm is not tele enough for your shooting- I have 2 lenses but I usually use just one, and shoot at 14mm (28mm FF equiv, which is slightly wider than 18mm on Canon cameras)- but I'm not imposing my opinion on you, the 18-135 is fine too
    Olympian

Blog Entries

18mm too wide?

Oh dear me... and I have been shooting 11 to 16mm all this time...

the first lens i got after i got my camera with 18-135mm kit lens was a Nikon 12-24mm. 12mm end was still not wide enough

As suggested many times: stop this wild guess work here, get a camera with kit lens and start learning how to walk. To make it blunt: you are like a blind man talking about colours at the moment. Your 5min trial in the shop is worth nothing. A qualified opinion whether a certain focal length is sufficient or not depends on the situation and the requirements at first. Both does not exist when you just hold a cam in the shop and peek through the viewfinder. Secondly: who tells you to shoot everything at 18mm? That's the reason why zoom lenses exist.
    EOS

As suggested many times: stop this wild guess work here, get a camera with kit lens and start learning how to walk. To make it blunt: you are like a blind man talking about colours at the moment. Your 5min trial in the shop is worth nothing. A qualified opinion whether a certain focal length is sufficient or not depends on the situation and the requirements at first. Both does not exist when you just hold a cam in the shop and peek through the viewfinder. Secondly: who tells you to shoot everything at 18mm? That's the reason why zoom lenses exist.
    My Flickr

I think u talked & asked too much... In photography, better you shoot first and ask later...

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    18mm too wide?

Oh dear me... and I have been shooting 11 to 16mm all this time...
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    the first lens i got after i got my camera with 18-135mm kit lens was a Nikon 12-24mm. 12mm end was still not wide enough
    Agreed.

Furthermore, 18mm is more than wide enough for the types of shooting mentioned. I don't understand how you know 55mm is not tele enough for your shooting- I have 2 lenses but I usually use just one, and shoot at 14mm (28mm FF equiv, which is slightly wider than 18mm on Canon cameras)- but I'm not imposing my opinion on you, the 18-135 is fine too
    hmmm.. maybe i will get the camera first then post again bah.. thanks alot..

You need to follow my OLD mantra :

READ MORE (understand what you are trying to do first)
    SHOOT more (get it into practise, and see if you understood the theory)
    Post more (get feedback on what you have done and if you have put the knowledge to proper use)
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast