Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Mac Pro?

  1. #1

    Default Mac Pro?

    Hi Guys,
    Sorry if I post my concern on the wrong site. I was told by alot of photographers that Apple laptop have the best colour rendition for photo editing apps.

    Is it worth getting a Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM & 320GB Serial ATA@ 5400 rpm) with a price of $1799 when you can get other brands of laptop with better tech specs and hardware at about the same price?

    Thanks for your kind advise.
    BR/Brandon

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    it all depends on the lcd they get when they buy the Apple.

    if remember correctly, there is Acer panel, Philips panel and LG-Philips panel of the TN and IPS variety.

    for me, i got lucky with my macbook and my panel was LG-Philips which means very little color callibration was needed. I bought it because the work i do only got the OSX software plus have option to boot into windows if i need.

    for my desktop monitor, i purposely chose a TN panel because i dont need color accuracy but rather the 1:Millions contrast which is great for watching videos.

    also take note...colors rendered on matt screen can be very different when viewed on glossy screen.
    Last edited by Reportage; 13th October 2010 at 11:09 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    it all depends on the lcd they get when they buy the Apple.

    if remember correctly, there is Acer panel, Philips panel and LG-Philips panel of the TN and IPS variety.

    for me, i got lucky with my macbook and my panel was LG-Philips which means very little color callibration was needed. I bought it because the work i do only got the OSX software plus have option to boot into windows if i need.

    for my desktop monitor, i purposely chose a TN panel because i dont need color accuracy but rather the 1:Millions contrast which is great for watching videos.

    also take note...colors rendered on matt screen can be very different when viewed on glossy screen.
    hmm, I always thought Apple uses only IPS panel. Didn't know it varies.

    To TS: Mac Pro isn't MacBook Pro btw.

    Like what Reportage had mentioned, color accuracy depends on the type of panel used. IPS > S-PVA > TN (being the worst in color reproduction).
    Do note that, to get the best out of the screen, you'll still need to get a calibrator to calibrate it regularly.

    If I'm not wrong, currently there are no windows notebook that are using IPS/S-PVA panels for their screen.
    Last edited by wdEvA; 13th October 2010 at 11:35 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    Hi Bro,
    Thanks for your kind advise. The 15" is having a glossy display, so is matt better or glossy? Sorry didn't quite get this part.

    How can you tell whether the LCD is Acer/Philips/LG Philips?

    By the way what is TN and IPS? Still new to these terms.

    Thanks.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    Quote Originally Posted by brlcc View Post
    Hi Bro,
    Thanks for your kind advise. The 15" is having a glossy display, so is matt better or glossy? Sorry didn't quite get this part.

    How can you tell whether the LCD is Acer/Philips/LG Philips?

    By the way what is TN and IPS? Still new to these terms.

    Thanks.
    Personally I prefer matt, but glossy screen looks more saturated (not sure if it affects the color accuracy) [I've no experience processing images on a glossy screen).

    Google up TN, S-PVA, and IPS panels.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    It's probably cheaper and more useful to just go out and buy an IPS monitor for your photo editing use. You can use the extra cash to pick up a calibrator.

    Dell has a 23" one for about $300. Even includes delivery. But that's assuming that you already have a PC or laptop and don't need the portability.

    Oh and i doubt the Macbooks are using IPS panels. iMac and iPad are IPS for certain and their huge cinema displays. Macbooks? Maybe not.

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=855575

  7. #7

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    you dont know what the different panels are, you dont know what you really want.

    do you really want accurate color or faster technology?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    Just take note because there are different grades of IPS as well eg, S-IPS and H-IPS of which the later is newer and supposedly better.

    its entirely possibly for you to get a S-IPS model and your friend who bought minutes after you to get the H-IPS one. But unless doing really color sensitive work, only a trained eye can possibly tell the difference.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    Errm... you sure about those specs? Cause AFAIK, the base MacBook Pro comes with a Core 2 Duo, not i5. The 15" MBPs come with i5, but I think they start at over 2K

    Quote Originally Posted by brlcc View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Is it worth getting a Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM & 320GB Serial ATA@ 5400 rpm) with a price of $1799 when you can get other brands of laptop with better tech specs and hardware at about the same price?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    TS, are you talking about a 13" screen? Even a 15" screen feels like a squeeze when using photoshop and can only imagine how small and cramped a 13" screen would be. You should think about an external monitor in your purchase.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    Speaking from experience, the 13" is very pretty small. I'm having problems viewing the adjustment and layers panel at the same time.

    However, I have an external monitor connected to my 13" macbook pro, so its not a problem for me.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Mac Pro?

    Quote Originally Posted by brlcc View Post
    Is it worth getting a Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB RAM & 320GB Serial ATA@ 5400 rpm) with a price of $1799 when you can get other brands of laptop with better tech specs and hardware at about the same price?
    At $1799, you can definitely get a windows based computer with better specs.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •