Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

  1. #21

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Condition of Item (as per guidelines): 9
    Warranty Status: 1 mth personal
    and so much for 1 month personal warranty?

  2. #22

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ang View Post
    and so much for 1 month personal warranty?
    Part of the bait to make people fall for it. Nice condition 9 BTW. If the seller chooses not to present his side of the story, I guess things are pretty clear. But we have to understand tt not everyone checks in to CS every 2 hours or so.
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

  3. #23

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by Smiles88 View Post
    Part of the bait to make people fall for it. Nice condition 9 BTW. If the seller chooses not to present his side of the story, I guess things are pretty clear. But we have to understand tt not everyone checks in to CS every 2 hours or so.
    No doubt, but bro DDD123 is right...it would be fraudulent misrepresentation, and i think the seller is at least required to honour that. But internet medium, blabla, still, caveat emptor applies. (trying to recall business law, memory foggy..)

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,633
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ang View Post
    No doubt, but bro DDD123 is right...it would be fraudulent misrepresentation, and i think the seller is at least required to honour that. But internet medium, blabla, still, caveat emptor applies. (trying to recall business law, memory foggy..)
    Should be claimable in small claims, as long as buyer find out the actual name and address of seller, and also kept all the SMS and the BnS ad.

    See how far TS wants to push this. Personally, if camera ok, I would let go.

    BTW, I really think seller is a dealer in disguise. Selling so many cameras in such a short time.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by Normalised View Post
    I apologise if anyone felt offended. It was not my intention. It was more of a general advise for newbies. Better err on the side of caution is what I was trying to put across.
    No worries.

    I agree with you on your suggestion to be cautious - basically to make sure we check the condition of items we purchase.

    But having seen the description in the ad you linked to ("mint used", "perfect work condition" and the one-month personal warranty), I can understand why you're upset. If the lens does indeed have fungus, I'd agree with some of the others who have commented that the seller's ad was misleading, perhaps even intentionally? And that does sound fraudulent.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Just an observation on paddyqr posting statistics, all the post was in buy & sell, mostly WTSell...... hmmmmm. I'm guessing he don't frequent this part of the forum hence I think we won't be expecting to see his reply from paddyqr.

    I think this is an extremely good sharing session to help potential buyers to be more careful on what they buy.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

  7. #27

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    I have such an experience before as well. This guy selling his lens as condition 10... and agreed to meet me at my place. Then he kept giving me excuses until late at night before he turned up. Luckily, my place is very well lit and I could see that the lens was NOT condition 10. It was an 8 at best... so I sent him packing.

    He said that he shot for his church, etc... when I was checking the lens. I wonder which church promotes such dishonesty.

  8. #28
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,633
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    Just an observation on paddyqr posting statistics, all the post was in buy & sell, mostly WTSell...... hmmmmm. I'm guessing he don't frequent this part of the forum hence I think we won't be expecting to see his reply from paddyqr.

    I think this is an extremely good sharing session to help potential buyers to be more careful on what they buy.
    When buying from BnS, it is always smart to check up on the previous posts of the seller. From the history, you can pretty much get a good idea on the type of person you are about to deal with.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th October 2010 at 02:41 PM.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Should be claimable in small claims, as long as buyer find out the actual name and address of seller, and also kept all the SMS and the BnS ad.

    See how far TS wants to push this. Personally, if camera ok, I would let go.

    BTW, I really think seller is a dealer in disguise. Selling so many cameras in such a short time.
    Thank you guys, I would go send the camera to CSC for a check. I am hoping at least the body is in good condition, now I can't even believe him when he mentioned that the shutter count is about 1000......

    Felt really bad about being cheated yet have no one to blame but myself. But I do hope all the newbies or rather buyers be careful and learn from my silly and hopefully not too expensive experience.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by Normalised View Post
    Thank you guys, I would go send the camera to CSC for a check. I am hoping at least the body is in good condition, now I can't even believe him when he mentioned that the shutter count is about 1000......

    Felt really bad about being cheated yet have no one to blame but myself. But I do hope all the newbies or rather buyers be careful and learn from my silly and hopefully not too expensive experience.
    shutter count of 1000 is pretty low.
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,918

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    He said that he shot for his church, etc... when I was checking the lens. I wonder which church promotes such dishonesty.
    Let's not go there. Blame the guy for being dishonest. Its a good thing you sent him packing. Cheers!

  12. #32

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    SC of 1000????!?!?!?!?!?!? I dont think its possible if the seller is already dishonest over lens got fungus or not.

    Think he just know the last photo count is abt 1000, in which all camera (if i am not wrong) can reset the photo counter, but shutter counter will need service center to do that.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

  13. #33

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by nixontkl View Post
    SC of 1000????!?!?!?!?!?!? I dont think its possible if the seller is already dishonest over lens got fungus or not.

    Think he just know the last photo count is abt 1000, in which all camera (if i am not wrong) can reset the photo counter, but shutter counter will need service center to do that.
    Let's not jump to any conclusion. For all we know, he might just be a trader. During his buying and selling, he might not even realise that the lens was infested with fungus. It all could be an honest mistake. However, having said this, the seller should have given a refund for the lens instead of looking the other way.

    What I can say is that integrity of this guy is shot. If he does continue selling his items here, should we still buy from him? Personally, I would not so quickly say no.... if it's a great deal I might just grab it but I'll be super stringent on my checks.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

  14. #34
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,633
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    Let's not jump to any conclusion. For all we know, he might just be a trader. During his buying and selling, he might not even realise that the lens was infested with fungus. It all could be an honest mistake. However, having said this, the seller should have given a refund for the lens instead of looking the other way.

    What I can say is that integrity of this guy is shot. If he does continue selling his items here, should we still buy from him? Personally, I would not so quickly say no.... if it's a great deal I might just grab it but I'll be super stringent on my checks.
    The fact that he set his account to refuse all PM hints quite a lot already.

    And about his integrity? I don't think he even cares. He will just ignore the account and open a new one, once the heat gets too hot.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 14th October 2010 at 11:14 PM.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by Normalised View Post
    His description is mint with rating of 9 and offer 1 week personal warranty. He must honour the 1 week personal warranty since you have found that something is wrong with it.

    Why are there people like this around? aiyooo.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennyfur80 View Post
    His description is mint with rating of 9 and offer 1 week personal warranty. He must honour the 1 week personal warranty since you have found that something is wrong with it.

    Why are there people like this around? aiyooo.
    But at least we know the phone number

    90267226

    can buy 4d liao.. haha..

  17. #37

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    The guy definitely appears to be a dealer.

    Look on the bright side, maybe it's a sign to invest in an L lens(:

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    422

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    another help friend to sell statement. buyer should have known better. who doesnt check when buying something. even if it is brand new people still check although it comes with a WHOLE year of warranty.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    the seller not only has the obligation to tell the truth about his item, he is legally bound to state the true condition of his item. otherwise it is known as mis-representation, lying, cheating, fraud, etc. unfortunately these cheats are around. so to all honest forummers out there, check carefully. the problem is sometimes it is difficult to check. so you are taking a risk buying pre-owned. but if you have evidence you have been cheated, make a police report.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Buyers Beware : caveat emptor

    Buy new set will not have this issue .... I always belived.
    Used item .....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •