Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is a lens hood?

Default How important is a lens hood?

What is the function(s) of a lens hood?
    Does it make any difference on a zoom lens?

Thanks.

Default Re: How important is a lens hood?

It is very important for me.
    It cushions the impact of 99% of the potential bangs suffered by my lenses - especially telezoom lenses.

Main use is to protect the front element of your lens from scratches, knocks, etc
    Another use is that to a certain degree it prevents lens flares as the hood will shade the front element, a bit like if we put our hand slightly above our eyes to cover them when looking in bright sunlight

Some people like using lens hoods, some don't, but if you don't you have to replace the lens cap when not using it to prevent unwanted knocks, etc

Prevent flare. Prevent bumps onto the front element of the lens.

To make you look like professional photographer :-)

Quote Originally Posted by apiwales View Post
    What is the function(s) of a lens hood?
    Does it make any difference on a zoom lens?

Thanks.
    Lens hood - Wikipedia

Lens hood - Nikonians Wiki
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

while I hardly get any knocks and hopefully not in the future, the more important thing for me is the flare actually. A freak stray light can smear the shot till irreversible damage ( i am not too good at photoshopping it away )

Sometimes i wished my hood can be abit bigger to afford abit more cover, but no i dun like the bulk either.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    while I hardly get any knocks and hopefully not in the future, the more important thing for me is the flare actually. A freak stray light can smear the shot till irreversible damage ( i am not too good at photoshopping it away )

Sometimes i wished my hood can be abit bigger to afford abit more cover, but no i dun like the bulk either.

Ryan
    yeap, i agree with the flaring part... and also doubles up as protection for your front element or filter...

Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    Main use is to protect the front element of your lens from scratches, knocks, etc
    Another use is that to a certain degree it prevents lens flares as the hood will shade the front element, a bit like if we put our hand slightly above our eyes to cover them when looking in bright sunlight
    Other way around, bro.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Other way around, bro.
    Should be another "main" use

Vented hood
    Its just a box ... ... [ Ō ▀ ]

I appreciate using my lens hood actually, as I do protect it really well, I also do notice that over time there are some scratches on the lens hood itself. Maybe it is the material of the hood that is prone to scratches that I have no idea, but i rather those scratches be on the hood than on the lens Sometimes i may accidentally knock the lens against other items and i dont even know..
    Canon 5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 24-70L | 70-200L II | 50 f/1.4 USM | 580EXII |

not vital but a really good thing to have on the lens...
    suppose to block out light n glare that cause flare... but i think i depend on it more to protect my lenses from bumps and knocks when slinging it n moving abt shooting

good against flare. but if you get the cheapo ones with shiny plastic on the inside, its not too useful. the one that comes with the L lenses have this felt material which reduce reflection.

How important is a lens hood?

Dunno. Never use them before.

for my kit and prime I use UV filter to protect them, but since my zoom comes with hood I depend on it for protection and go filter freeeeee.
    So I'll say beside flare, rain and because of the bonus "protection" it is that bit safer to go UV filter free. IQ should be that bit better sans uvf right?? sooooo, hood important, no???
    Canon | Oly | Fuji

Quote Originally Posted by v0857 View Post
    for my kit and prime I use UV filter to protect them, but since my zoom comes with hood I depend on it for protection and go filter freeeeee.
    So I'll say beside flare, rain and because of the bonus "protection" it is that bit safer to go UV filter free. IQ should be that bit better sans uvf right?? sooooo, hood important, no???
    Filters are generally ok as long as you get the good quality ones. They can prevent flares in some cases
    However be wary of the cheapo ones as they will degrade your lens' performance

I personally am not using both filters and hoods, my lenses are not that big

Does it make sense to have lens hood during night shots? Not kidding, im new =)

Quote Originally Posted by jojovan View Post
    Does it make sense to have lens hood during night shots? Not kidding, im new =)
    WHY NOT?
    Causes of flare are from light source, so if the street do have light, there is still a chance for a flare.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie01 View Post
    WHY NOT?
    Causes of flare are from light source, so if the street do have light, there is still a chance for a flare.

Interesting =D thanks ya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast