Thread: A Different View

Default A Different View

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition and lighting

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Be different. I want to take a picture of MBS but not the usual kind of picture whereby everyone just takes it from the front.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    No tripod used as i didn't brought it out that day. Shutter speed 1.3" ISO400. No PP done too.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Personally i feel that the picture is OK. However the sky seems a bit plain so i actually made plans to go back there in the evening to shoot it when the sky is setting and the sky is still blue. What do you guys think?

P/S: I'm still a noob, still learning so yeah. Sorry if the photo is not good.

Default Re: A Different View

1. too much sky which is "taking up space" in the photo where you can have more reflection of the mbs.

2. there is a reason why lots of peeps like to shoot from the "front" it is because it is best viewing angle to take in the whole MBS in its overall shape and design. I have seen others who did quite well exploring other angles of the MBS and for yours in this case does not really bring out the best or the most unusual of the MBS. You just have to explore more and shoot more.

3. If you really wanted to shoot nice night scene landscape, tripod is a must else just forget about it. No matter how still you can handheld, there will still be the tiniest movement that will make your photo look soft. and with a tripod you can take photo at the camera best iso spot... iso100 or 200.

4. do try again with the evening or morning sky.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

I wouldn't call this a "different" view- I've seen quite a few shots from this angle before.

In any case, the reflections are cut off prematurely which is usually a no-no unless done for a good reason. Here- I don't think so.

If you don't have a tripod, improvise. Usually, night landscapes shot at ISO400 with an entry level camera (I'm assuming that) and handheld end up in the Recycle Bin. If I'm not wrong, this was taken at the jetty right in front of Singapore Flyer? You will definitely not get a high enough angle to capture the entire reflection in this case. But in future, you can always prop your camera on your bag or a pillar or railing and shoot. Why not.
    Olympian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    Usually, night landscapes shot at ISO400 with an entry level camera (I'm assuming that) and handheld end up in the Recycle Bin.
    If the exposure is not right, and no tripod is used, pics will end up in the trash irregardless of the level of the camera, entry level or pro.

Blog Entries

Photo not good, don't apologize. You are here to learn, that is why you asked for critique here. So all us here will be merciless here. Take it positively, learn why your picture is "no good", learn from the advice here, and get good.

Basic problems with your shot:

Technical execution:

1. Camera shake. You already know this and mentioned it yourself: No tripod = camera shake when shutter speed is above 1/focal length. Actually you did quite well here, as it did not shake too badly for an exposure over 1s. But still, this picture belongs in the recycle bin.

2. why ISO 400? If you want a faster shutter speed, you boost ISO, but your shutter speed in the end is over 1s anyway. So why use 400? Either you use a tripod and go for long exposure and leave ISO at base (probably 100 or 200 in your case), or you go higher ISO so your shutter speed is fast enough to let you manage the shot handheld.

3. I am not sure what aperture you used, but it looks as if you did not use a small enough aperture. For night shots, try F13 or F16 in the future, when mounted on a tripod.

Composition:

1. The elevated highway is a good lead in but you crop it off badly. Especially the pillars on the right side of the frame. Too badly cut off.

2. Too much dead space on the top of MBS towers.

3. Too little space on the left of the MBS towers.

4. The picture would benefit greatly if composed in landscape orientation and framed wider.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If the exposure is not right, and no tripod is used, pics will end up in the trash irregardless of the level of the camera, entry level or pro.

True. But what I was implying was that entry level cameras in general have poor high ISO performance. If properly exposed, often the noise is too much to bear, compared to the higher-end cameras.
    Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Photo not good, don't apologize. You are here to learn, that is why you asked for critique here. So all us here will be merciless here. Take it positively, learn why your picture is "no good", learn from the advice here, and get good.

Basic problems with your shot:

Technical execution:

1. Camera shake. You already know this and mentioned it yourself: No tripod = camera shake when shutter speed is above 1/focal length. Actually you did quite well here, as it did not shake too badly for an exposure over 1s. But still, this picture belongs in the recycle bin.

2. why ISO 400? If you want a faster shutter speed, you boost ISO, but your shutter speed in the end is over 1s anyway. So why use 400? Either you use a tripod and go for long exposure and leave ISO at base (probably 100 or 200 in your case), or you go higher ISO so your shutter speed is fast enough to let you manage the shot handheld.

3. I am not sure what aperture you used, but it looks as if you did not use a small enough aperture. For night shots, try F13 or F16 in the future, when mounted on a tripod.

Composition:

1. The elevated highway is a good lead in but you crop it off badly. Especially the pillars on the right side of the frame. Too badly cut off.

2. Too much dead space on the top of MBS towers.

3. Too little space on the left of the MBS towers.

4. The picture would benefit greatly if composed in landscape orientation and framed wider.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips! I did shot it in landscape mode but at the right side there would be the white lotus/orange/egg thingy. Don't know what that's called. =/ So i thought it would be distracting as i want the focus to be on MBS.
    Still i do agree that there is too much dead space on the top so i thought i could fill it up with the evening sky. Do you think that is a good idea?

And yeah will work on the technical stuff. Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    1. too much sky which is "taking up space" in the photo where you can have more reflection of the mbs.

2. there is a reason why lots of peeps like to shoot from the "front" it is because it is best viewing angle to take in the whole MBS in its overall shape and design. I have seen others who did quite well exploring other angles of the MBS and for yours in this case does not really bring out the best or the most unusual of the MBS. You just have to explore more and shoot more.

3. If you really wanted to shoot nice night scene landscape, tripod is a must else just forget about it. No matter how still you can handheld, there will still be the tiniest movement that will make your photo look soft. and with a tripod you can take photo at the camera best iso spot... iso100 or 200.

4. do try again with the evening or morning sky.
    I do have a tripod just that i didn't brought it out that day as i didn't plan on taking any night shots. But will definitely still go back there with a tripod. Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    I wouldn't call this a "different" view- I've seen quite a few shots from this angle before.

In any case, the reflections are cut off prematurely which is usually a no-no unless done for a good reason. Here- I don't think so.

If you don't have a tripod, improvise. Usually, night landscapes shot at ISO400 with an entry level camera (I'm assuming that) and handheld end up in the Recycle Bin. If I'm not wrong, this was taken at the jetty right in front of Singapore Flyer? You will definitely not get a high enough angle to capture the entire reflection in this case. But in future, you can always prop your camera on your bag or a pillar or railing and shoot. Why not.
    Oh damn. I didn't see anyone taking MBS at this view so i thought it was different. =(
    Yeah i did that. I propped my elbows on the railings thus i was able to get such a stable shot despite it being handheld.

do you used tripod ? it's not sharp enough .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crystal1993 View Post
    Still i do agree that there is too much dead space on the top so i thought i could fill it up with the evening sky. Do you think that is a good idea?
    No it is not a good idea when the sky is black and has no features whatsoever.

If it is early like, say, 7:30pm, where it is still blue with some nice clouds, it might work...