View Poll Results: who thinks ang peng siong's mistake was 'trivial'?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

9 15.52%
  • no

33 56.90%
  • dont really care

16 27.59%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ang peng siong's mistake was 'trivial'?

Default Re: ang peng siong's mistake was 'trivial'?

In fact, SSA indirectly admit that they are at fault too. Both SSA and head coach perhaps should received yellow card, warned, but punish? Use Traditional Chinese method:
    有辱国家,各打一百大板.
    Last edited by kwttan; 12th October 2010 at 09:52 AM.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Started late, blamed traffic jam and said there usually is a grace period.
    It is trivial, our swimmers were not expected to win medal.

One is head coach,
    One is Chief SSA.

India official taught us a lesson of not observing punctuality. They also make us realize that we have unprofessional people holding top jobs in the swimming organization.
    Last edited by LBL2009; 12th October 2010 at 08:57 PM.
    Fuji X100s, Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc, Nikon 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8f

Gizmore, I don't see the difference between a bad judgement and a mistake.

The blame game will go around, maybe for a month, before fading away. It is only natural. However, while Mr Ang's excuse was verging on ridiculousness, SSA's handling of the incident did not make it any better. Evidently, their spirit is contradictory to that of the YOG which just ended, in which "the greatest glory is not finishing but in taking part".

Nevertheless, nothing more can be done, the incident is over. What SSA needs to do is to minimise the damage done (and evidently a lot of their credibility is now in question), as well as to find solutions to ensure that this does not happen again. There are just no two ways about this.
    Olympian

f not ang peng siong, maybe the statement is different.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Its disrespectful to be late so someone with so much experience should know better. Besides, was the money to send the athletes and officials to India to compete trivial?

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    Its disrespectful to be late so someone with so much experience should know better. Besides, was the money to send the athletes and officials to India to compete trivial?
    and it's TAX PAYER money ie our money... the SSA shouldn't speak in this manner

imagine you train hard competitively. swam to and fro in the swimming pool for 3 times daily.

at the most crucial moment, your coach is caught in the traffic jam.. that's extremely unfortunate...

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    For sure, its a mistake, and nobody involved wanted it to happen.

An apology might be sufficient, but I can't seem to find any quotes in any reports that hint of acceptance of blame, sincere or otherwise.

The statement that "our swimmers were not expected to win medals and were looking for seventh place." is terribly unfair to those who had trained so hard for it.

Move on, sure? Admit your mistake first.
    The whole saga happened when APS ended up as Coach and team manager for the team. Usually its the responsibility of the TM for entries submissions and not the coach. Being late was not the issue but the administration of the competition should have been effected earlier for that matter. Given that Commonwealth Games is a high level event; I wondered why the orbat chart for the team is so short handed from that NSA.

APS has unreservedly accepted responsibility for his actions on national tv; a great gesture not many can partake if given in the same situation.

The NSA's statement on placing is not unfair to those who trained hard for the event. It only jeopardise the NSA for future chances of sending teams in the future to SSC.

I think the SSA should shoulder the blame

They let one person bao shan bao hai bao ka liao

I don't believe that they cannot afford to send another official to do the admin work and let Mr Ang focus on training.

Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    I think the SSA should shoulder the blame

They let one person bao shan bao hai bao ka liao

I don't believe that they cannot afford to send another official to do the admin work and let Mr Ang focus on training.
    I agree, for such a well established swim team, why does the head coach need to do everything one leg kicking, i'm sure they could afford to send an assistant.

Perhaps this whole screwed-up incident will be brought up for discussion in next parliament meeting. If to pursue, not sure whose head will roll?
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

whao. reminds me of someone saying the ex NKF indian chief pay was peanuts. same same.

seriously, for the ssa chief to brush this oversight as no big deal, singapore sports council should review this debacle and consider replacing him! jeffrey leow certainly doesn't deserve to be ssa chief.

i really feel injustice for the quartet. they have so hard for this event and to be belittled as "7th place" finalist!

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    I agree, for such a well established swim team, why does the head coach need to do everything one leg kicking, i'm sure they could afford to send an assistant.
    YEP ! Agree with you.

But I think most probably there is infighting, unhappiness and unfairness within the SSA organization.

I will support APS as he was a Swimming Olympian and had worked his way up. The rest of the indian chiefs in SSA are just pen pushers and sitting in air-con office. They know nuts.

The SSA management must answer why no assistant was provided for APS !
    The SSA management must explain WHY they viewed this incident as trivial. Do they viewed the time, energy and money spend in getting this team there cost nothing ? !

I see many people have their own opinion on this matter. Why don't the TS start a petition and send to PMO (prime minister office)?

actually remember the our table tennis coach incident where he could not keep the male paddler company during a competition....

The coach kenna left right center for it....

compare the swimming incident to the table tennis incident which one is more serious?

Quote Originally Posted by alantkh View Post
    actually remember the our table tennis coach incident where he could not keep the male paddler company during a competition....

The coach kenna left right center for it....

compare the swimming incident to the table tennis incident which one is more serious?
    I remember seeing the male TT player eyes filled with tears during interview then

If compare these 2 incidents, the latter is more serious (late + disqualified).
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

PROBLEM ONE
    "...our swimmers were not expected to win medals..."

I have serious concerns about Jeffrey Leow and Singapore Swimming Association.

This is very poor public relations damage control. You may want to protect your coach, but do not insult your own athletes and yourselves as SSA.

PROBLEM TWO
    If it is true that APS left the village at 245pm when the deadline is 3pm, there is a serious problem with APS. Shouldn't APS target to arrive at least half an hour early. If he leave at 245pm, then surely he is to blame, because he is targetting last minute submission? APS like to do things last minute? Even schoolchildren are taught never to submit schoolwork last minute?

If you intend to do things last minute, do not use traffic jam as excuse. We are all grown up adults. We know that if you start to commute 15mins from deadline (in a foreign country), you are asking for trouble. This applies for any meeting in any organisation.

I sincerely hope APS did not depart at 245pm when the deadline is 3pm. If the answer is yes, he should be sacked.
    Last edited by artspraken; 13th October 2010 at 10:25 AM.

My sympathy goes out to the 4 swimmers. Imagine having to get up early in the morning to train, maybe go for classes after and return to the pool in the afternoon to train again. Even if their qualification time is the 7th fastest, no chance of winning any medals....they can still do a personal best or break whatever existing record in S'pore.
    What about their parents doing the rounds of sending them back and forth to pool/school/pool....
    To trivialize this whole incident is indeed an insult to the 4 swimmers, their parents and all who supported them.

I think the main problem is that all the SG Sports Association are run by losers

They think that no chance to win so they don't want to commit resources

The coach have to do everything themselves

That is why SG seldom win medals

In charge by losers so always lose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast