View Poll Results: Can utell from a photo whether it is shot from DSLR or compact camera?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, most of the time, I can tell

15 60.00%
  • No, most of the time, I couldn't tell

10 40.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you able to tell from a photo whether it is shot on DSLR or compact camera?

Default Re: Are you able to tell from a photo whether it is shot on DSLR or compact camera?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    at this size....

next time i show a 1x1 pixel photo, ask you taken by what cam, see if you can answer

Guess nightmare86 brought up a good point, detail/size (pixel) of the pic.
    These pic are 320x240, can't tell much detail, but for seniors with their experience and sharp eyes, think can for sure tell is not taken by DSLR.
    They are taken by iPhone 3GS

1x1 pixel? think can only see black gold
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Default Re: Are you able to tell from a photo whether it is shot on DSLR or compact camera?

those iphone can give great colours and instant pp =)
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    First of all, PnS are meant for very general shoots... that means normal lighting conditions, non extreme conditions (really high ISOs, really long exposures, etc, etc, etc)... If you drop the DSLR to do such easy images, you're bound to get the same similar results. It is like forcing the Ferrari to go at the speed of Honda City.... wow, can't see the difference in speed right?

Hence, this is a odd (I'm bordering on calling it "stupid") comparison if you compare photos taken under normal lighting conditions (call that easy level)...

What you should really compare is... indoor dim lighting conditions, ultra high speed shots (freeze motion yet noise level minimal and still pin-sharp details), portraitures shot at f/1.2 & f/1.4 apertures (AT night)... HANDHELD! Try comparing the shots taken by PnS and DSLR... I double dare you to show that there aren't really any differences at all!

Sure, drive a Ferrari at Honda City's normal speed you're bound to experience the latter's performance... but don't forget that you are still able to leap from 0-100 km/h at 3-4 seconds flat... Try doing that with the Honda City!... Good day...

Edit: You might as well ask: Ferrari versus Honda City, which one is the slowest, most comfortable, and MOST fuel efficient!? Honda City wins!!! YEAH!!!! lols

Double Edit: some of us use DSLRs for normal lighting conditions that already can be handled well by PnS... Well, I don't - love to push towards the limits of what my lenses and DSLRs can deliver..

That's a totally different story. If you're gonna be all geeky about it then sure you can differentiate, but there will be instances when you won't anymore--just like what you said in your first post. In the hands of an incapable, compact or dSLR, it will be pretty hard to tell, and it goes vice versa.

allenleonhart's example is perfect. It was taken with a 3MP Nikon Coolpix E3100. Would you have known?

Here's another one: http://fstoppers.com/iphone/

Power, right?
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 12th October 2010 at 10:34 AM.

I can't tell.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    That's a totally different story. If you're gonna be all geeky about it then sure you can differentiate, but there will be instances when you won't anymore--just like what you said in your first post. In the hands of an incapable, compact or dSLR, it will be pretty hard to tell, and it goes vice versa.

allenleonhart's example is perfect. It was taken with a 3MP Nikon Coolpix E3100. Would you have known?

Here's another one: http://fstoppers.com/iphone/

Power, right?
    Yep, all boils down to the person behind cam no doubt. If he/she knows the limits of a PnS but somehow able to push all the way to its limits - that can often beat any images taken by a DSLR shot by an amature who often have no idea the limits of his/her DSLR...

My point of stating the above is simple, even if you can differentiate between the two, OR not...the mere exercise of comparison is a bit pointless... Because what we're doing is matching the DSLR shot to that of a PnS...not the other way round... All you need to do is degrade the DSLR image by a little (shoot with ultra high ISO), and the confusion will arise...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 12th October 2010 at 11:22 AM.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

First of all, PnS are meant for very general shoots... that means normal lighting conditions, non extreme conditions (really high ISOs, really long exposures, etc, etc, etc)... If you drop the DSLR to do such easy images, you're bound to get the same similar results. It is like forcing the Ferrari to go at the speed of Honda City.... wow, can't see the difference in speed right?

Hence, this is a odd (I'm bordering on calling it "stupid") comparison if you compare photos taken under normal lighting conditions (call that easy level)...

What you should really compare is... indoor dim lighting conditions, ultra high speed shots (freeze motion yet noise level minimal and still pin-sharp details), portraitures shot at f/1.2 & f/1.4 apertures (AT night)... HANDHELD! Try comparing the shots taken by PnS and DSLR... I double dare you to show that there aren't really any differences at all!

Sure, drive a Ferrari at Honda City's normal speed you're bound to experience the latter's performance... but don't forget that you are still able to leap from 0-100 km/h at 3-4 seconds flat... Try doing that with the Honda City!... Good day...

Edit: You might as well ask: Ferrari versus Honda City, which one is the slowest, most comfortable, and MOST fuel efficient!? Honda City wins!!! YEAH!!!! lols

Double Edit: some of us use DSLRs for normal lighting conditions that already can be handled well by PnS... Well, I don't - love to push towards the limits of what my lenses and DSLRs can deliver..

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't see how Ferrari vs. Honda City works here as an analogy.

While not encapsulating all the points of comparison between point & shoot and DSLR cameras, a more apt analogy would, perhaps, be comparing a manual Honda city and an automatic Honda city. After all, in my opinion, the biggest difference, aside from the sensor size, is the lack of manual controls in almost all PNS cameras (discounting the high end compacts like, say, the Powershot G10).

Well, not that using any of these car analogies work for me in the first place...
    Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't see how Ferrari vs. Honda City works here as an analogy.

While not encapsulating all the points of comparison between point & shoot and DSLR cameras, a more apt analogy would, perhaps, be comparing a manual Honda city and an automatic Honda city. After all, in my opinion, the biggest difference, aside from the sensor size, is the lack of manual controls in almost all PNS cameras (discounting the high end compacts like, say, the Powershot G10).

Well, not that using any of these car analogies work for me in the first place...
    Really? The biggest differences are just sensor size and manual controls?... Wow, I didn't know DSLRs are THAT slow...

Yep, all boils down to the person behind cam no doubt. If he/she knows the limits of a PnS but somehow able to push all the way to its limits - that can often beat an images taken by a DSLR shot by an amature who often have no idea the limits of his/her DSLR...
    We're speaking the same language here. That's good.

My point of stating the above is simple, even if you can differentiate between the two, OR not...the mere exercise of comparison is a bit pointless...
    This is the Kopitiam section. Things are bound to be pointless.

Because what we're doing is matching the DSLR shot to that of a PnS...not the other way round...
    That's why I said '...and it goes vice versa.' I wouldn't post works of sucky dSLR photographers here now, would I? I don't want to get into trouble with the mods and the photographers themselves if they chance upon this conversation. Do a look up. They're out there and you'd swear they were using compacts.

All you need to do is degrade the DSLR image by a little (shoot with ultra high ISO), and the confusion will arise...
    I beg to differ. It's not always about noise. There's OOF. Softness. Shooting with the built-in flash set to ludicrous beam. Using a very outdated dSLR. Lemon lens. Funny-looking white balance. Yada yada yada. A whole bunch of other factors that I wouldn't bother typing anymore because this is beginning to bore me.
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 12th October 2010 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    This is the Kopitiam section. Things are bound to be pointless.
    Good point! Thanks for the kind reminder. I'm outta here!

Good point! Thanks for the kind reminder. I'm outta here!
    Aite. Have a good one bud.

Really? The biggest differences are just sensor size and manual controls?... Wow, I didn't know DSLRs are THAT slow...

Slow in terms of what, shutter speed? You can probably tell the difference because compacts are unable to acheive very fast or very slow shutter speeds. But, mind you, shutter speed is also about f numbers, iso and avaliable light.
    Olympian

dslr has more detail isit

iphone4

k20d with 50mm lens wide open, iso3200

200x200 pixel 100% crop

"seniors with sharp eyes"?

"dslr has more detail" as a general statement

k20d, 50mm lens, wide open, iso3200

iphone4

these are at 600 pixels widest. in poor indoor lighting conditions. on a bright day, outdoor photos?

do i really have to set it to iso800, take it at a slightly smaller aperture, resize to 320, so you can happily tell me which one has more detail? let's be honest with ourselves...

more on "dslr has more detail", can be told apart at 320x240 from a compact camera

can tell if man or woman? can see what they are doing? are you saying if this is taken with a dslr vs compact camera, you can tell based on the "amount of detail"?

full size:

small size:

looks sharper and sharper, with greater "detail", right?

compact or dslr?

compact or dslr?

night86mare, thanks for spending the time and effort for the lesson/clarification.
    Last edited by kwttan; 12th October 2010 at 10:23 PM.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Blog Entries

it all boils down to how small ur image is. LOL

under easy conditions, it is hard to differentiate a normal compact with a dslr.

put it perhaps under extreme conditions, such as lowlight, extreme brightness, perhaps a dslr with a higher iso and better noise controls such as flagships, or lenses which can hit f32, then would show differences when printed large...

either way, too many factors. we could debate this till 2012 and the world supposedly ends. its just a rough estimation. dun read too much into it

night86mare, are u always online? =)
    Canon 60D | And Legs as Lens to cover every single focal length i ever needs.

LOL, let me join in the fun.

DSLR or P&S

Quote Originally Posted by XavierShoot View Post
    night86mare, are u always online? =)
    no, i'm not online right now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast