Thread: SB600 problem.

Default SB600 problem.

Hi guys just wondering if anyone encountered the same problem as i.

When i first bought the SB600 in march i played around with it and i realised that the there's red light helping with AF from the SB600. However, now it does not have the red light when focusing. I tried resetting the sb600 but to no avail so i'm wondering is this a fault or it only appears in certain situation.

Could anyone advice??
    D5000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 VR 3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-200 VR 4-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 35mm F1.8 | SB600

Default Re: SB600 problem.

if im not wrong. it will only show the red light when your AF point is in the middle of your AF points. hope this helps. ;_
    Nikon D90 | N18-105mm | T90mm | SB-600
    My Flickr

The af assist lamp only appears when you are metering in a low light area and when your focus point is in the centre.
    Of cos, there is a setting in the camera itself to off this function and you might have accidentally switched it off.

All right thanks would try it. cos i can't seem to get it to work when i was @ night safari yesterday. The Near darkness focusing with the d5k was bad n the SB600 wasn't providing any help either. so was wondering if it was faulty. The camera AF-illuminate is on i checked that yesterday when i was there..
    Shall try n see what happens

cheers
    D5000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 VR 3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-200 VR 4-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 35mm F1.8 | SB600

if i am not mistaken, flash photography in night safari is not allowed

i went for the Halloween event so only was trying to take photos with the dressed up characters but then the d5000 could not focus properly. Taking the animals i was able to come by pumping up the ISO.

but i do need advice on the sb600 i tried focusing using all the modes of focusing by placing the subject in the center of the frame the AF-illuminator still does not come on..

The AF-illuminator is in the custom menu settings.

you can scrolling thru the flash settings.
    http://www.EdmundPhoto.com
    for Weddings, Family Portraits, Executive Portraits, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ferderico View Post
    The AF-illuminator is in the custom menu settings.

you can scrolling thru the flash settings.
    Yes that has being set to on for the built in AF-Illuminator.

Is your AF mode set to AF-A or AF-S? otherwise the af lamp assist will not turn on in AF-C or Manual focus mode.
    It does not work if your mode dial is in sports or landscape mode too.

If all else fails, try resetting the camera with the 2 green dots and resetting everything in the Custom Settings Menu.

Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Is your AF mode set to AF-A or AF-S? otherwise the af lamp assist will not turn on in AF-C or Manual focus mode.
    It does not work if your mode dial is in sports or landscape mode too.

If all else fails, try resetting the camera with the 2 green dots and resetting everything in the Custom Settings Menu.
    Thanks A MILLION!!! i tried the AF-S setting n it worked like a flash. After getting the sb600 i only being using the default ttl feature. Just a thought do we need to know the flash and the distance between camera and the subject to workout the amount of flash required for the shot?? As i'm new to using the speed light so would appreciate if you could assist me on that.

Cheers

In TTL, it does its calculation for you so no worries about working out the distance to calculate the amount of flash needed.

But you do need to know the limitations of the flash too. i believe its stated in the manual.