Thread: Question on DIY product shoot

Default Question on DIY product shoot

Hi guys, I would like to try out DIY product shoot at home (setup as cheap as possible), wonder if you guys know where in Sg do they sell things like black granite tiles (those polished) types or those reflective glassy surfaces?

Went to search at some DIY stores such as homefix but don't recall they selling them. Don't tell me I have to buy from those contractors?

Thanks for any inputs.

Default Re: Question on DIY product shoot

Thanks...

One more question: I have read online about DIY umbrellas, does anyone have any recommendations for cheap shoot through umbrella? Like from Daiso or anywhere? Some threads I read here, they use more 'pro' equipment. Basically I am not sure of what should be the suitable material used for the shoot through umbrella.

Read this book:

Light Science and Magic by Hunter Biver and Fuqua.

This is like a textbook for people trying to do this kind of thing right. There is no fixed formula to the whole exercise. For example, if you use a light tent, then you will get a soft white even light throughout... but that is a problem because if your product has a reflective surface, then the surface will become white. If you use umbrellas, etc... positioning the umbrella at different angles will have quite drastic effects on the look of the product surface.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 10th October 2010 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    One more question: I have read online about DIY umbrellas, does anyone have any recommendations for cheap shoot through umbrella? Like from Daiso or anywhere? Some threads I read here, they use more 'pro' equipment. Basically I am not sure of what should be the suitable material used for the shoot through umbrella.
    ... and why would you want to DIY something that costs around $8-$10?

No issues with that, a lot of people here use the daiso umbrellas as a shoot through umbrella, its cheap and it serves the purpose. Alternatively you can check out mass sales, a lot of the shops sell umbrellas and reflectors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    Ya. Cheap. They are even cheaper if you buy them umbrellas at the source.

Yup, just went to ebay to search...just that initially I thought some prices at the mass orders cost $20+ which made me consider otherwise. Perhaps I can try making small "softbox" using A4 paper boxes to try take small product shoots.

Thanks for the replies..need more advise when I have more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    to some people, DIY is for saving money,
    to some is to customize,
    to some is to have fun,
    and to some is to kill time.

not all people are having same mindset.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

.... wonder if you guys know where in Sg do they sell things like black granite tiles (those polished) types or those reflective glassy surfaces?.
    go to one of the many tiles shops along Balestier......... small pieces usually can take one piece if you ask for sample...... the larger 1sqft types you might need to pay $2-4 for a piece..... all-stone ones are more
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Thanks, I don't frequent Balestier, didn't know there are many tile shops there...

Thanks, I don't frequent Balestier, didn't know there are many tile shops there...
    if you live near CCK/Mandai area, can always drop by Sg Kadut... LOTS of tiles suppliers there!

but you only need 1 piece, so generally most building supply shops can help you.
    I remember one that's next to Zion Road food centre, opp Great World City.
    Exploring! :)