Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: ibook or powerbook or others?

  1. #21

    Default

    if you've met enough artists, designers, or photographers, you'll know most of them probably dress quite funky, and probably have different taste in stationaries (pen and paper etc.), hence their choice of Mac is probably due to the "arty" factor

    that is why the modern artist is also 'poor' too: many expensive notepads to buy, funky watches, designer pencils, ipods, limited edition shoes, expensive hip hop tees, overseas buying trips,music CDs, you get the drift......

    oops talking too much now

  2. #22

    Default

    Just some news for those potential Powerbook/iBook buyers,
    Applecare @ Orchard's having a student/teacher promotion.

    Not sure of the exact pricing though.
    But i saw my boss having a iBook G4.. and it was totally sweet!

  3. #23

    Default

    I'm a PowerBook user. I switch from PeeCee last year. Believe me, once you switch from M$ to Mac OS... you will not want to use a PeeCee again (as least for me).

    I've the same problem before, couldn't decide between a PowerBook or a iBook. iBook is value for money and PowerBook has the looks (whole casing is aluminium)!

    For me, I like metal, so I go for PowerBook.

    But whatever your decision is, you will be HAPPY with Mac OS... hmm kindda miss that blue screen in window$...heehee

  4. #24

    Default

    another thing, buy something that you like, don't stingy over a few hundreds of dollars and later regret of buying something that you not really like the first place... but of course, make sure what you pay for is within your budget... must SAVE for rainy days also

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bukit Timah, Singapore
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kian
    hi kjmedora,

    powerbook=alumin casing, more durable

    ibook=plastic casing, easily get scratch marks...

    i guess i would use it more for work...

    so which are u using?...

    I am using the iBook.. scratches dont deter me as i change laptops every one and a half years and scrap the old ones...

  6. #26

    Default

    design for apple books are better. don't mistake better designed as having a 'funky' factor or good looks. it is more than superficial.

    apples are a pleasure to use.

    the designers put in so much effort in the design of every aspect of their product.

    take just the ac adaptor. the main transformer can plug directly to the wall or use a wire like in normal laptops. the transformer is also designed to coil the wire 'neatly' around. there is a little light at the plug to inform the user if the ac adaptor is supplying power to the laptop. the ibook ac adaptor is the same as ipod = u only need one of them for travelling (actuall y i heard ipod can charge through the firewire)

    just a simple ac adaptor is so thoughtfully detailed. which PC laptop can boast such attention? all these are GOOD DESIGN, not just the aesthetics.

    anyway i use a pc laptop cos it is cheaper and apple dun run many software that i need.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    155

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by kian
    hi guys...


    could you please enlighten me as in which should i get... ibook or powerbook?

    or should i just get one of those Windows-based notebook?

    thanks!
    I agree with what rueyloon says (I own a 12" Alu Powerbook). I also went thru the same things that u went thru now.

    It all depends on your needs, the most important being the softwares that u are gonna be using are they more MAC dependant or Windows dependant.

    Next it's gonna be the portability issue (i think). If you gonna travel with it often, I would suggest that you get a maximum of the 12" model (if you going for the mac, windows ones can go to about 10" like Sony. You could check out Sony as well). If you looking to work at home but gonna be bringing it wherever u go, then my suggestion would be to look for a portable that can connect to a bigger CRT monitor (this is what I do if I need a bigger screen). Also IMHO it defeats the purpose of a laptop if you get something that is bigger than 14", as it is meant to be a portable.

    In then end it is gonna be you who makes the final descision and hence it would be better if you go down and feel the products for yourself. Apple center and Sony center should have all their products on display and u can play ard wif it and ask the staff there if u have any questions.

  8. #28

    Default

    Just wondering how the monitor display of a Powerbook compared to that of a Windows based laptop.

    I am deciding between the 15 inch Powerbook w/Superdrive and a 14 inch T42 Thinkpad. Which will display the graphics better? In terms of colour, detail and general quality.

    I am quite fussy about displays because I have been spoilt by my Sony Trinitron flat screen monitor for the past few years, and it gives excellent colour. Somehow I feel the transition to a laptop will mean a downgrade in terms of the display, true?

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_jason
    Just wondering how the monitor display of a Powerbook compared to that of a Windows based laptop.

    I am deciding between the 15 inch Powerbook w/Superdrive and a 14 inch T42 Thinkpad. Which will display the graphics better? In terms of colour, detail and general quality.

    I am quite fussy about displays because I have been spoilt by my Sony Trinitron flat screen monitor for the past few years, and it gives excellent colour. Somehow I feel the transition to a laptop will mean a downgrade in terms of the display, true?
    In terms of the display quality between the 15" PB and the 14" IBM, the PB is much much better. I read somewhere that the calibration done on the monitor the PB's are more suited for graphics usage.

    As to your second question I am not sure. It's best if you go down and look for yourself. Let your eyes be your judge. Also, I read in the MUGS forum that for graphics, it is better to use a CRT monitor as opposed to an LCD monitor. I think it has something to do with the calibrations. Not sure.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fox
    In terms of the display quality between the 15" PB and the 14" IBM, the PB is much much better. I read somewhere that the calibration done on the monitor the PB's are more suited for graphics usage.

    As to your second question I am not sure. It's best if you go down and look for yourself. Let your eyes be your judge. Also, I read in the MUGS forum that for graphics, it is better to use a CRT monitor as opposed to an LCD monitor. I think it has something to do with the calibrations. Not sure.
    I did checkout the Powerbook's display already, and find it ok. But it was right beside the iMac so the iMac's display totally blew away the Powerbook's, heh. So quite hard to remember how the T42's was like when you have fresh images from the iMac in your head.

    Ideally I could have a CRT, but as I will be abroad studying, more suitable to get a laptop for portability.

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_jason
    I did checkout the Powerbook's display already, and find it ok. But it was right beside the iMac so the iMac's display totally blew away the Powerbook's, heh. So quite hard to remember how the T42's was like when you have fresh images from the iMac in your head.

    Ideally I could have a CRT, but as I will be abroad studying, more suitable to get a laptop for portability.
    Then u should get something that u like and not regret later on for not buying it. BTW, you said that u are using it for studies so I am assuming that you will not be using softwares that are WIN dependant correct? If you need softwares that are WIN dependant, it would be better to get the IBM as they are renowned for their after-sales. Another point to take note of would be that if the laptop that u would be getting have international warranty coverage. I think that should be the priority.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    999

    Default

    Just wondering if anyone's interested in this:

    Got a piece of 256MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR 200-pin cas2.5 SoDIMM (Hynix) for Powerbooks for sale at $70. Very lightly used, works perfectly, taken out from a Powerbook that's less than 2 mths old (replaced with a 1GB chip). Interested, let me know, I'll keep it for you.

    Also, would anyone be interested in new 1GB SoDIMM for their Powerbooks? The specs are PC2700, 200-pin, 333Mhz. Priced at $450. Works perfectly with the G4 PBs, tested it myself. Also, drop me a PM. Sim Lim shops sell these for $600+, and Apple Store's website lists this upgrade at $1k+.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •