Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    We may not be high tech compared to say, Japan, which I hear has remote controlled toilets with water jets. But we are relatively advanced compared to many, many countries.
    China has it in some hotels. Not sure about SG hotels.

And at their airport (Xiamen), heard that the toilet seats got the transparent plastic covering the seating area. before or after use, just press a button and the plastic will be automatically replaced. Never came across those in SG.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    Actually not exactly. Last yr 1 of my China colleague was looking for a 2.5"" HDD. After comparing the prices from the China online retailers and our SLS prices, I'm surprised that a MIC HDD is cheap at SLS than in China.
    Hmm.. I'm not aware of any MIC HDD brand.. Not referring to manufacturing site, but the "Brand".

If the product is MIC brand, like Haier, TCL etc.. then probably is cheaper in China. If it's other brand like Seagate, WD etc, then different story.
    Last edited by Limsgp; 14th October 2010 at 08:27 AM.

Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

Perhaps I should have stated more clearly in the first post.

The topic is more on the branding or origin of the company, rather than the manufacturing site. Whether it is a SG brand or overseas brand..
    Last edited by Limsgp; 14th October 2010 at 08:32 AM.

If you want a perfectly rational argument to counter this, here it is:

Manufacturers do not set up mass production companies in Singapore because Singapore does not have a comparative advantage in labour intensive goods, whereas China and Vietnam, with its abundance of labour, does. In this age of globalisation where labour flows are relatively unrestricted, it only makes business sense to shift production overseas to reduce costs of production. It has nothing to do with patriotism.

If you insist local firms produce in Singapore, which is what I think you are implying, cost of production for these firms are likely to increase. These increases in cost will be passed on to YOU, the consumer. This is likely to be the reason why production is being outsourced, not a lack of national pride whatsoever.

Quality-wise, Creative and China MP3/MP4s are NOT the same. The extra price you pay is probably due to better quality materials used on the Creative side, marketing costs, to sustain Creative's profit margin as well as to fund for R&D (want more features? pay for it). If you want better goods, you pay more. Simple as that. Your first creative probably did not last long, because you dropped it. I'm inclined to believe your China MP3 probably lasted longer because 1) you did not drop it, or 2) you dropped it but got lucky, or 3) you dropped it many, many times but were very very lucky.
    As for my Creative player vs my China brand player... well of course the quality are not the same. My China brand player are much better made, feel more solid and was actually quite a bit more durable than my Creative Player... period. And for your information, I didn't drop my player (either one) at all. Bring them for my jogging sessions. My Creative Player died on me pretty quickly, my China one go on and on and on.

And why is it that when China made product are good, you immediately think that I got lucky, and when Singapore brand product went bonkers, you think that I am unlucky that I got a bad one? Well... for your information, it might be a one in a thousand bad product that I happen to receive, but to the end customer, it is a 100% failure.

Plus I don't only have 1 China brand product, I have amass quite a bit of these during my business trips to China some time ago. And none of them died till now... and if I am lucky... well I think I am damn lucky.

Plus of course as a consumer I wanted more features, what I am implying is, why China brand products could give me so much functions and features and Singapore's product can't? Don't tell me about R&D cost (believe me, I know alot in this matter), everything is there, in the market, it is just integration of these bits of old technology together, as a consumer, I do not care how high tech your stuff is, just give me the functions, which my China brand product achieved but not my Creative product.

I want better goods? No, I want product that could last me a bit longer, with more functions and better values? Too much to ask? Well, obviously not products from other nations.

As you have said, globalisation... so well... then Singapore companies should be able to match the price tag of what other people do. But... sadly... no... and still you wanted to support them?

I think everyone had their own supports. For me... I would go for the better values one and thats that. As for Singapore company product, as long as they met my expectation, had better values and quality than other nation's products, then... well... I will buy it... I don't care which country develope that product.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

Plus I don't only have 1 China brand product, I have amass quite a bit of these during my business trips to China some time ago. And none of them died till now... and if I am lucky... well I think I am damn lucky.
    i have had touched any new mp3 player in a while.. last got a samsung mp3 player as a gift back when i left for london, hasn't spoilt, still going good....

before that i had dabbled a bit in MIC mp3 player from sim lim... all i can say is that it did not leave a good impression. was a bit flimsy... best is at that long ago time, they gave me 2.5mm jack player... and then the jack is not positioned properly or something.. have to put the converter (for normal 3.5mm jack, which i had to buy myself) in halfway then can hear anything...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i have had touched any new mp3 player in a while.. last got a samsung mp3 player as a gift back when i left for london, hasn't spoilt, still going good....

before that i had dabbled a bit in MIC mp3 player from sim lim... all i can say is that it did not leave a good impression. was a bit flimsy... best is at that long ago time, they gave me 2.5mm jack player... and then the jack is not positioned properly or something.. have to put the converter (for normal 3.5mm jack, which i had to buy myself) in halfway then can hear anything...
    Well... MP3 players had make quite a bit of progress now. It is mainly dominated by Apple in Singapore at present moment and lots of China branded products like Aigo, Ramos and stuff like that. Actually I have not been keeping track of their progress too... my last MP3 is a China brand one (that I bought last year in Guangzhou) and is very good... using it till today...

Seen alot of the Chinese made MP3 in China (Guangzhou and Shenzhen)... their quality had changed quite alot, no longer like those that we saw in the past. Now they are more solidly build and the Chinese are very innovative with their products too.
    My lousy shots

That aside, we are not very high tech?

We may not be high tech compared to say, Japan, which I hear has remote controlled toilets with water jets. But we are relatively advanced compared to many, many countries.

Count your blessings.
    You do not need to be high tech to install the automatic toilet seats. You just need the cash. There are in Singapore, in the country clubs. I'm sure there will be, at MBS and RWS private rooms... maybe even golden toilet bowl and tap

Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post

Hmm.. I'm not aware of any MIC HDD brand.. Not referring to manufacturing site, but the "Brand".

If the product is MIC brand, like Haier, TCL etc.. then probably is cheaper in China. If it's other brand like Seagate, WD etc, then different story.

Yup.. Sorry I was referring to non Chinese Brand but MIC like Seagate and WD.

Well... MP3 players had make quite a bit of progress now. It is mainly dominated by Apple in Singapore at present moment and lots of China branded products like Aigo, Ramos and stuff like that. Actually I have not been keeping track of their progress too... my last MP3 is a China brand one (that I bought last year in Guangzhou) and is very good... using it till today...

Seen alot of the Chinese made MP3 in China (Guangzhou and Shenzhen)... their quality had changed quite alot, no longer like those that we saw in the past. Now they are more solidly build and the Chinese are very innovative with their products too.

Creative has changed a lot, neither have any China-brand mp3s left a very good impression on me, honestly. My creative mp3 has lasted me for 6 years and counting.

You seem very defensive over your China mp3. Relax. If you feel that I have made any factual error, point it out. What I wrote is based on my personal experience- no offense intended to you.

I also cannot understand your statement here: "I want better goods? No, I want product that could last me a bit longer, with more functions and better values? Too much to ask? Well, obviously not products from other nations.". I simply can't see why there is a distinction between better goods and goods with longer lifespan, functions (and better values, whatever that means...)

Singapore companies should be able to match foreign firms with regards to price? Not true if the firms are infant industries and are still small, which is true in the case for quite a number of Singaporean firms. They are unable to reap the economic cost-savings arising from a large firm size, leading to the higher costs being passed down to consumers.

Anyways,
    (this is not OT), has anyone been to One Fullerton where Starbucks and Coffee Bean are side by side? Which would you choose? The prices are the same and as for the coffee- I daresay there is no significant difference in quality.
    Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    You do not need to be high tech to install the automatic toilet seats. You just need the cash. There are in Singapore, in the country clubs. I'm sure there will be, at MBS and RWS private rooms... maybe even golden toilet bowl and tap

It was just an example la It's quite annoying to call the country that they live in "not high tech" just like that. Think Africa, Eastern Europe etc. etc. Singapore is relatively affluent, and relatively advanced. Some Singaporeans don't know how lucky they are...

Anyway, I get what you're trying to say, but if you have the cash, you can buy advanced goods, which are only available to you if you can harness the technology, if you know what I mean.
    Olympian

I also cannot understand your statement here: "I want better goods? No, I want product that could last me a bit longer, with more functions and better values? Too much to ask? Well, obviously not products from other nations.". I simply can't see why there is a distinction between better goods and goods with longer lifespan, functions (and better values, whatever that means...)

Singapore companies should be able to match foreign firms with regards to price? Not true if the firms are infant industries and are still small, which is true in the case for quite a number of Singaporean firms. They are unable to reap the economic cost-savings arising from a large firm size, leading to the higher costs being passed down to consumers.

Anyways,
    (this is not OT), has anyone been to One Fullerton where Starbucks and Coffee Bean are side by side? Which would you choose? The prices are the same and as for the coffee- I daresay there is no significant difference in quality.
    Oh... sorry if I have sounded rude or defensive... (I need more coffee... exam is coming and I have tons of work in my company). What I mean about better value is in terms of $$. Getting similar function with better quality for less $$ means better value to me.

Wow... your Creative MP3 last you 6 years? That is the first I have heard... sorry, no punk intented, I am really surprise, because my Creative MP3 last less than one year... a few jogging sessions are all it take to kill it.

Actually your arguement that infant size company couldn't reap the economic cost-savings arising from a large firm size is only true to a certain degree. Trust me, I work in a consumer electronic firm. I know a bit about the cost. Do you know (say) the price of making a MP3? Well... around $10 if your quantity is low and if there are a LCD (depending on the size of the LCD and its capability it would cost somewhere between $5 to $40. How much is your packaging? Less than $1 to $2 and how much is the selling price? $200+ (for a very basic one) to $600+. You tell me where is the deal?

Plus there are plenty of vendor in China that provide very cheap plastic parts of reasonable quality that the SIngapore firms had bought. And still many are selling products that are very expensive.

Of course bigger firms could do things cheaper because they have the bargaining power to their vendors. But they are not selling their product cheap too. What I am saying is, I would not buy from them too if they couldn't give me what I want at the price I find acceptable.

I am a very cost concious person and I know what product (their spec) I wanted and I would always shop for the lowest price that would give me that irregard of what company and which nation this product came from... heck... I would even buy (and had bought quite a number of items) from Akira too.

Oh... and as for the coffee examples... my choice is the one that is nearest to me when I walk down from Point A to Point B and got thirsty along the way.
    My lousy shots

Actually, you are wrong. Singapore does not claim to be a first world country.
    ahem....

http://www.amazon.com/Third-World-Fi.../dp/0060197765

http://www.smu.edu.sg/news_room/smu_...20100515_2.pdf

oh, you must be right.... actually, we are wrong....
    Last edited by ricohflex; 14th October 2010 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

I don't get what you are trying to say.

In any case, strictly speaking, Singapore does not fit the definition of a "first world" country to the T. http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/09...ld-nation-yet/.

You can argue until the cows come home, but you'd realise that some indicators of first/second/third world are highly subjective. For example, first world countries require significant political freedom. How do you accurately quantify that?
    Olympian

I don't get what you are trying to say.

In any case, strictly speaking, Singapore does not fit the definition of a "first world" country to the T. http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/09...ld-nation-yet/.

You can argue until the cows come home, but you'd realise that some indicators of first/second/third world are highly subjective. For example, first world countries require significant political freedom. How do you accurately quantify that?
    There are a huge number of factors determining whether any nations are either first world, second world or third world.

Infrastructure wise (roads, MRT (train or tram in other countries), linkways, supporting buildings - for commercial and residential, factories, waterworks (pipes layout), sewage system, hospitals, electricity connection to all houses, telecommunication both line and wireless, etc) Singapore is consider as first world. Even US and many European countries do not have that wide and efficient an infrastructure as we have in Singapore.

Medical support wise, we are up there too. Basically the medical service is available to everyone and the excellent infrastructure linking residential communities to our medical services are also established.

Political wise - we are very stable... even when comparing to many European nations.

Technological wise... well, if you would want to argue... we can be ranking pretty low... heck even developing countries like China and Brazil had technologies more advance than us. Even the Indians could fired satellites into space... but are we third world in technology, I think not.

So... if you look at it, Singapore is a developed country, our annual GDP is right there, and our jobless rate is actually quite low. We have excellent supporting units in Singapore to keep the country's economy going.

The only thing lacking is a political says in many things in Singapore. But that hardly put us down from being a first world country.

Thus we cannot just look at one single point and say that we are not first world. Sure, there are poverty in Singapore, but which countries do not have? And as to political freedom... well lets look at Taiwan, do you want that?

Not really a stout supporter of ***, but I think Singapore can be ranked as first world in all areas - except maybe political freedom.
    My lousy shots

There are a huge number of factors determining whether any nations are either first world, second world or third world.

Infrastructure wise (roads, MRT (train or tram in other countries), linkways, supporting buildings - for commercial and residential, factories, waterworks (pipes layout), sewage system, hospitals, electricity connection to all houses, telecommunication both line and wireless, etc) Singapore is consider as first world. Even US and many European countries do not have that wide and efficient an infrastructure as we have in Singapore.

Medical support wise, we are up there too. Basically the medical service is available to everyone and the excellent infrastructure linking residential communities to our medical services are also established.

Political wise - we are very stable... even when comparing to many European nations.

Technological wise... well, if you would want to argue... we can be ranking pretty low... heck even developing countries like China and Brazil had technologies more advance than us. Even the Indians could fired satellites into space... but are we third world in technology, I think not.

So... if you look at it, Singapore is a developed country, our annual GDP is right there, and our jobless rate is actually quite low. We have excellent supporting units in Singapore to keep the country's economy going.

The only thing lacking is a political says in many things in Singapore. But that hardly put us down from being a first world country.

Thus we cannot just look at one single point and say that we are not first world. Sure, there are poverty in Singapore, but which countries do not have? And as to political freedom... well lets look at Taiwan, do you want that?

Not really a stout supporter of ***, but I think Singapore can be ranked as first world in all areas - except maybe political freedom.

In that case, Singapore can't be classified as first world.

It can only be called "first world" with the phrase "first world" being loosely used and not sticking to the definition all the way. That's my point.

Nevertheless, it's not very important.
    Olympian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123