Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 53

Thread: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by victorlee10 View Post
    When I was in Japan the tour guide told us that certain products sold in the same shop have a made in Japan version and a made in China version. These are things like ornamental paper weight where you don't think anything can go wrong. Surprisingly the Japanese are willing to pay 3 times the price to buy the made in Japan version. Somehow I don't think this would happen in Singapore.

    oh, not for ornamental paper weights lor.

    but for camera lenses, we often see the MIJ versus MIV (made in vietnam), MIC (made in china) arguments.

    say hello to globalisation!

  2. #22

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post

    we are not very high tech despite the claims of first world country

    for example we cannot make our own car or fridge or washing machine or jet fighter or aircraft carrier

    Not that you can't. Just that doesn't make economic sense for cost-sensitive products.
    I go to NTUC buy eggs: the Malaysian eggs sell for SGD1.90, the local eggs (from Kranji?) sell for SGD 2.30. Guess which one i bought?

    At least you guys have hi-tech wafer fabs.
    Last edited by cks2k2; 12th October 2010 at 03:09 PM.

  3. #23
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Seriously speaking, I will buy products not base on where they are produce or develope, but compare these products according to spec and how I like about their interface.

    At present moment I worked for a local electronic company, but my MP3 player was a make in China, design in China 山寨 product which give me everything (4GB space, play a large number of format - avi, mp4, mp3, rm, etc) and with expandable memory too for S$60 (tell me where got Singapore company come up with this innovation at this price?) plus I was using it for more than 1 year, and so far no problem.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    This was quoted from that post..

    "Most importantly being a Singaporean, we should back our compatriots"

    Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    Manufacturer will only think of making $$. Who cares about local consumers or not . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

    doesn't make sense to just support a company for the pure purpose that it is local.
    Exactly..

    As for supporting local companies, Unless the company shows that it cares for local consumers by offer better pricing in local market as it is a local product, then local consumers can give their support for local products.. it works both works..

    If the local company is only interested in milking maximum profit from local market, why should local consumer support the local companies who don't believe in "returning to society" by way of better product pricing in local market.....

  5. #25
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Saw the CS ad by that sad fellas... I think he/she had some really serious inferior complex raging on in him.

    Quote Originally Posted by tikoliang14
    i used to think that "Ang Mohs" is superior than us Asians but with the Thumbdrives and FLU CARD now being invented by SINGAPOREAN, i can't help but say i am Darn Proud to be one.

    Most importantly being a Singaporean, we should back our compatriots instead of backing those "COMPANIES" that does REVERSE ENGINEERING.... dont you guys agree? TIO BOH??

    STAND UP FOR SINGAPORE MAN.....
    Ang Mohs superior than us Asian? I mean come on! That is the saddest thing anyone could say or feel in these days... and I am surprise someone still felt this way... it was like during the colonise days... maybe he is still living in the past.

    And Singaporeans, asians in general (Japanese, Korean, the Chinese, etc) invented plenty of things nowaday... so what is so exciting about it? this fellas really need to go out more and open his/her eyes more.

    Plus... wat is so shameful about reverse engineering something. Any engineers out there would be able to know how difficult it is to reverse engineer some very high tech product. And we all know which country he is refering to. So if he/she is so against that country, don't buy anything make from there... oh... wait... then he/she would have to go around naked... because 90% of most commodities came from that country. And where does he/she think his/her FLU CARD came from? Manufacture in Singapore?

    So I think this fellas is seriously strange in his/her presentation... and I mean... come on!
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  6. #26

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    I would buy a Made-in-Singapore product if features and perceived value are equal to those made in developed country, even at a slightly higher price. We must support our local entrepreneurs to stay abreast if not ahead of the global competition for the sake of our next generation and beyond.
    Sorry I have fail to see any logic in your reasoning.

    Give the same product and similar performance, the key differentiating factor should be price. Why the hell do I have to pay for a locally made product when it is more expensive.

    For imported goods, I can understand because of taxes and many handling parties (the need to have distributor etc).

    The customer behaviour is simple. Price. Even if it is an ingenious piece of invention / product, at sky high price, it is going to be difficult. unless one can find a niche market for it then of course it is still possible.

  7. #27
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    Sorry I have fail to see any logic in your reasoning.

    Give the same product and similar performance, the key differentiating factor should be price. Why the hell do I have to pay for a locally made product when it is more expensive.

    For imported goods, I can understand because of taxes and many handling parties (the need to have distributor etc).

    The customer behaviour is simple. Price. Even if it is an ingenious piece of invention / product, at sky high price, it is going to be difficult. unless one can find a niche market for it then of course it is still possible.
    Couldn't agree with you more.

    We do not blindly support a product because of whatever country it was developed from. This way would only pampered those supposedly entreprenier and they could charge any price they want because there will be a group of fools that are gonna buy them just to support their own country's entrepeuniers.

    Plus if you would looked at the incentives (in terms of our EDB, Spring Singapore, IRAS) had given to these so call pioneer companies, you would think twice about them overcharging a product that other people from other country could and had produced at a lower cost.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  8. #28

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmore View Post
    Sorry I have fail to see any logic in your reasoning.

    Give the same product and similar performance, the key differentiating factor should be price. Why the hell do I have to pay for a locally made product when it is more expensive.

    For imported goods, I can understand because of taxes and many handling parties (the need to have distributor etc).

    The customer behaviour is simple. Price. Even if it is an ingenious piece of invention / product, at sky high price, it is going to be difficult. unless one can find a niche market for it then of course it is still possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more.

    We do not blindly support a product because of whatever country it was developed from. This way would only pampered those supposedly entreprenier and they could charge any price they want because there will be a group of fools that are gonna buy them just to support their own country's entrepeuniers.

    Plus if you would looked at the incentives (in terms of our EDB, Spring Singapore, IRAS) had given to these so call pioneer companies, you would think twice about them overcharging a product that other people from other country could and had produced at a lower cost.
    I am not advocating protecting the local industry if our bunch of manufacturers are an inefficient lot living off the taxpayers' hard earned monies. Try selling your made-in-Singapore product in another country and you will find out that the reality of the unspoken patriotism in the locals. What brand has become a global success without the home country consumers' support?

  9. #29
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    I am not advocating protecting the local industry if our bunch of manufacturers are an inefficient lot living off the taxpayers' hard earned monies. Try selling your made-in-Singapore product in another country and you will find out that the reality of the unspoken patriotism in the locals. What brand has become a global success without the home country consumers' support?
    Think of it this way... why other people who offer similar product with similar functions and specification able to sell their product cheaper than product developed in Singapore. Well... I am not saying that all Singapore developed products are that way (hint: Akira).

    But looked at products from... say... "Creative Technology". Where is their standing? One MP3 player cost around $200+ dollar (very basic functions and some don't even have the ability to play movies) and a China made MP4 player which cost S$60 and can play almost all formats. and both products are "Made in China"... Quality wise, they are almost the same. In actual fact my China made MP4 player is already 1 year old, with no problems so far. I remember using a Creative MP3 player once (small little cutie), the player cannot last me more than a few jogs in the evening before dying on me.

    Well... it is not because I do not like my country or what, but I think some of the local brands in Singapore need to wake up their idea and not take consumers for granted.

    As for your mentioning of unspoken patrolism in other country... well... look to Japan, do you really think the Japanese really would support their local brand that much if that brand by itself is crap? In the past, maybe... but now? I don't think so... same goes to the Korean or the Americans.

    We are all the same. we do not blindly follow to a brand just because they are from our local industries...

    And by bringing this support to our own local company, why don't the manufacturers set up their manufacturing lines in SIngapore? Manufacturing are the main industries that required more people. As of such, they simply moved out and go to China and Vietnam. So why should we be supporting them?
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  10. #30

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Does it matter where that product is make from? does it matter if it design and make in SG? does it matter if one don't support local brand. But frankly, it matters if I'm going to pay for an item that not even come close to what it suppose to do/function. Who in the right frame of mind will want to support a local product if it does not even meet one's minimum standard? who you want to pay for an item just because it local brand or you would rather pay for an item because it fit your requirement ?

  11. #31

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan1975 View Post
    Does it matter where that product is make from? does it matter if it design and make in SG? does it matter if one don't support local brand. But frankly, it matters if I'm going to pay for an item that not even come close to what it suppose to do/function. Who in the right frame of mind will want to support a local product if it does not even meet one's minimum standard? who you want to pay for an item just because it local brand or you would rather pay for an item because it fit your requirement ?
    Agreed, I'd buy what suits my needs, I don't care where it's made.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,129

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    What brand has become a global success without the home country consumers' support?
    Let's look at MIC products. I believe there is a strong support in the country for their products. I also believe that the products are priced cheaper in China than in other part of the world.

    Speaking of "unspoken patriotism", the manufacturers demonstrate it first, the local consumers reciprocate.

    If the Made in Singapore products are priced cheaper locally than they are sold overseas, I would be more inclined to give them a chance and try their products, even if it might be more costly than other brands. ( For e.g., A cutting edge wireless SD Card developed and manufactured in SG, selling in SG at $150 and selling in US for $200, compare to another card selling at $140 in SG but $100 in US, I would "TRY" the SG one )

    If the MIS is selling $200 in US but $250 in SG, I probably wouldn't even bother to consider it unless there are other compelling factors.

  13. #33
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post

    If the Made in Singapore products are priced cheaper locally than they are sold overseas, I would be more inclined to give them a chance and try their products, even if it might be more costly than other brands. ( For e.g., A cutting edge wireless SD Card developed and manufactured in SG, selling in SG at $150 and selling in US for $200, compare to another card selling at $140 in SG but $100 in US, I would "TRY" the SG one )

    .
    Thats reasonable and I would too....
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  14. #34

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    we are not very high tech despite the claims of first world country
    Actually, you are wrong. Singapore does not claim to be a first world country. This is likely to be for strategic reasons. Declaring itself first world will make Singapore no longer eligible for some international aid it currently enjoys. Conversely, declaring itself 2nd or 3rd world will lead to decreased attractiveness for foreign investors.

    That aside, we are not very high tech?

    We may not be high tech compared to say, Japan, which I hear has remote controlled toilets with water jets. But we are relatively advanced compared to many, many countries.

    Count your blessings.
    Olympian

  15. #35

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Think of it this way... why other people who offer similar product with similar functions and specification able to sell their product cheaper than product developed in Singapore. Well... I am not saying that all Singapore developed products are that way (hint: Akira).

    But looked at products from... say... "Creative Technology". Where is their standing? One MP3 player cost around $200+ dollar (very basic functions and some don't even have the ability to play movies) and a China made MP4 player which cost S$60 and can play almost all formats. and both products are "Made in China"... Quality wise, they are almost the same. In actual fact my China made MP4 player is already 1 year old, with no problems so far. I remember using a Creative MP3 player once (small little cutie), the player cannot last me more than a few jogs in the evening before dying on me.

    Well... it is not because I do not like my country or what, but I think some of the local brands in Singapore need to wake up their idea and not take consumers for granted.

    As for your mentioning of unspoken patrolism in other country... well... look to Japan, do you really think the Japanese really would support their local brand that much if that brand by itself is crap? In the past, maybe... but now? I don't think so... same goes to the Korean or the Americans.

    We are all the same. we do not blindly follow to a brand just because they are from our local industries...

    And by bringing this support to our own local company, why don't the manufacturers set up their manufacturing lines in SIngapore? Manufacturing are the main industries that required more people. As of such, they simply moved out and go to China and Vietnam. So why should we be supporting them?

    If you want a perfectly rational argument to counter this, here it is:

    Manufacturers do not set up mass production companies in Singapore because Singapore does not have a comparative advantage in labour intensive goods, whereas China and Vietnam, with its abundance of labour, does. In this age of globalisation where labour flows are relatively unrestricted, it only makes business sense to shift production overseas to reduce costs of production. It has nothing to do with patriotism.

    If you insist local firms produce in Singapore, which is what I think you are implying, cost of production for these firms are likely to increase. These increases in cost will be passed on to YOU, the consumer. This is likely to be the reason why production is being outsourced, not a lack of national pride whatsoever.

    Quality-wise, Creative and China MP3/MP4s are NOT the same. The extra price you pay is probably due to better quality materials used on the Creative side, marketing costs, to sustain Creative's profit margin as well as to fund for R&D (want more features? pay for it). If you want better goods, you pay more. Simple as that. Your first creative probably did not last long, because you dropped it. I'm inclined to believe your China MP3 probably lasted longer because 1) you did not drop it, or 2) you dropped it but got lucky, or 3) you dropped it many, many times but were very very lucky.
    Olympian

  16. #36

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Let's look at MIC products. I believe there is a strong support in the country for their products. I also believe that the products are priced cheaper in China than in other part of the world.
    Actually not exactly. Last yr 1 of my China colleague was looking for a 2.5"" HDD. After comparing the prices from the China online retailers and our SLS prices, I'm surprised that a MIC HDD is cheap at SLS than in China.

    I guess the 17% VAT in China and the subsidy that the manufactures get from the PRC Govt from dumping their goods overseas may play a part in this interesting discovery

  17. #37

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Limsgp View Post
    Let's look at MIC products. I believe there is a strong support in the country for their products. I also believe that the products are priced cheaper in China than in other part of the world.

    Speaking of "unspoken patriotism", the manufacturers demonstrate it first, the local consumers reciprocate.

    If the Made in Singapore products are priced cheaper locally than they are sold overseas, I would be more inclined to give them a chance and try their products, even if it might be more costly than other brands. ( For e.g., A cutting edge wireless SD Card developed and manufactured in SG, selling in SG at $150 and selling in US for $200, compare to another card selling at $140 in SG but $100 in US, I would "TRY" the SG one )

    If the MIS is selling $200 in US but $250 in SG, I probably wouldn't even bother to consider it unless there are other compelling factors.

    With regards to China's "strong local support", it is largely due to 2 factors.

    Firstly, the domestic market for Chinese goods in China is HUGE. Chances are, you are not likely to find very many imported products in most stores, because stores can buy wholesale from local firms at cheaper prices and still maintain their profit margin. This results in more China locals buying local Chinese goods as opposed to foreign goods. I doubt it is due to patriotism- rather, it is more practical for local shops to stock local goods.

    Secondly, China is seemingly highly protectionistic. They have actively been implementing exchange rate policy to boost their domestic industries. Their yuan is devalued, and is worth much less than it should. Hence, it costs Chinese firms more to import goods from overseas, since more yuan is needed to buy from overseas firms. Since imports are more expensive, China imports less. So, there is less imported goods for consumers to buy, and domestic firms must produce more to meet demand for the goods. So, it demand and supply for domestic goods is high.


    With regards to differences in pricing locally and overseas, this does not occur randomly. Firms simply do not do such things for no good reason. Usually, such price discrimination (ie. charging different prices to different markets not because of cost reasons) occurs due to differences in price elasticities of demand in the different markets. I can explain the economics behind this if anyone is interested, but the bottom line is, do not be quick to judge based on comparing prices here and overseas.
    Olympian

  18. #38

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by kkgoxplore View Post
    What brand has become a global success without the home country consumers' support?

    Not sure if Kwan Pen is a success globally, but I understand that they are more successful in the HK and Jap market than locally.

    And I think X mini too

  19. #39

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    Actually not exactly. Last yr 1 of my China colleague was looking for a 2.5"" HDD. After comparing the prices from the China online retailers and our SLS prices, I'm surprised that a MIC HDD is cheap at SLS than in China.

    I guess the 17% VAT in China and the subsidy that the manufactures get from the PRC Govt from dumping their goods overseas may play a part in this interesting discovery
    Just curious, how much different were the prices? I'm not looking to buy a HDD. I am just curious to see how big the disparity is.
    Olympian

  20. #40

    Default Re: Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

    Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    Just curious, how much different were the prices? I'm not looking to buy a HDD. I am just curious to see how big the disparity is.
    At last yr's RMB to SGD exchange rates, IIRC, about $20 difference for a 500gb . The rates and since changed and not sure how much is the difference now. you can google for some China online retailer and compare against the SLS online price

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •