Thread: Step down ring 58-52mm, advice please.

Default Step down ring 58-52mm, advice please.

Hi fellow CSers, firstly, I apologise if this question has been asked before but I've done some reading up by searching and can't seem to clarify my own doubt.

Straight to the point, I'll like to know if there will be any possible vignetting if I use a step down ring on a 18-55mm lens (58mm) fitted with a 52mm CPL filter.

Anyone has tried it before and it gave you bad vignetting on images?

Thank you in advance for the advice and inputs.

Default Re: Step down ring 58-52mm, advice please.

You will absolutely get vignetting, it will only clear up by about 30mm or so.
    Alpha

Yes it will, in fact, the step down ring is already blocking part of the lens' view, with an additional filter it would be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You will absolutely get vignetting, it will only clear up by about 30mm or so.
    Which means my usable range will be approximately 30-55mm to prevent any vignetting?

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Yes it will, in fact, the step down ring is already blocking part of the lens' view, with an additional filter it would be worse.
    I see. I'm in a dilemma now as I've read some bros' experience (prior searching about step down rings) that they are able to do 77-72mm & 77-67mm step down with no visible vignetting.

This was the post that confused me much.. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=20

I'm using a 30D.

Whats important is your lens, not the body. The vignetting would be worse if you are using a wide angle, in the case of the link, maybe the shots were taken at 105mm, thus having a narrower FOV so the vignetting did not show, or the shots might be taken stopped down.

you are using a filter smaller then the lens filter thread size, surely will have vignetting.

the example you shown is the full frame lens use on a crop body, and shooting at a longer focal length, the angle of field is much smaller, vignetting does not show up on smaller sensor area.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio