Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Help on Polariser Purchase

  1. #1

    Default Help on Polariser Purchase

    Hi i'm currently using a canon 40D + 17-85. I wld lik to get a polariser for my overseas trip to yunnan as i'll be taking quite a lot of landscape shots. I'm most likely getting a larger thread size so i can upgrade. Any one has any brands that are not to expensive to recommend? Thanks all =)

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by whyseeyellow View Post
    Hi i'm currently using a canon 40D + 17-85. I wld lik to get a polariser for my overseas trip to yunnan as i'll be taking quite a lot of landscape shots. I'm most likely getting a larger thread size so i can upgrade. Any one has any brands that are not to expensive to recommend? Thanks all =)
    For a cheaper one, get a Tokina. For a better one, get a Hoya HMC or Hoya Pro1D, or a Kenko Pro1D.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    For a cheaper one, get a Tokina. For a better one, get a Hoya HMC or Hoya Pro1D, or a Kenko Pro1D.
    Any idea how much it costs? N will there b vignetting?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by whyseeyellow View Post
    Any idea how much it costs? N will there b vignetting?

    Price lists can be found in the price guide section.
    this is the list for filters
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263716

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    using a larger thread size CPL filter with step up/down ring is not convenient, sometime the ring will get stuck to the filter and very hard to take out.
    if you have lenses in different filter thread size, that still justifiable because of saving money.

    if you only have one lens, might as well just get the right size filter, sell the filter together with the lens when you plan to upgrade.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    using a larger thread size CPL filter with step up/down ring is not convenient, sometime the ring will get stuck to the filter and very hard to take out.
    if you have lenses in different filter thread size, that still justifiable because of saving money.

    if you only have one lens, might as well just get the right size filter, sell the filter together with the lens when you plan to upgrade.
    Yes i only have 1 lens. I dont hear about the step up ring getting stuck. Re-sale of filters doesn't seem that good in BnS. I'm thinking of a efs 10-22 but i dont know when i'll get it.

    And thanks spree86 for the price list =)

  7. #7
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by whyseeyellow View Post
    Yes i only have 1 lens. I dont hear about the step up ring getting stuck. Re-sale of filters doesn't seem that good in BnS. I'm thinking of a efs 10-22 but i dont know when i'll get it.

    And thanks spree86 for the price list =)
    Polarizers are not recommended for a UWA lens like 10-22. They do not work well. So just buy a polarizer for your current lens. No need for a step down/up.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    I am planning to buy a PF for my UWA lens to get a blue sky effect.
    Is that not advicable? I know it will have the uneven blue tone.

    Does it means photoshop is my only way out?
    Nikon D7000||Tokina [I]11-16mm/f2.8||AF-S DX 35mm/f1.8G||AF-S DX 18-105mm/f3.5-4.5||

  9. #9
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by Redantckc View Post
    I am planning to buy a PF for my UWA lens to get a blue sky effect.
    Is that not advicable? I know it will have the uneven blue tone.

    Does it means photoshop is my only way out?
    No. You can also use GND.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Polarizers are not recommended for a UWA lens like 10-22. They do not work well. So just buy a polarizer for your current lens. No need for a step down/up.
    I see. Thanks for your advice. Btw is there anything that i need to take note when using one? Like how do i angle it against the sun for the best effect?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by whyseeyellow View Post
    I see. Thanks for your advice. Btw is there anything that i need to take note when using one? Like how do i angle it against the sun for the best effect?
    http://www.offrench.net/photos/artic...ing_filter.php

    http://www.digital-photography-schoo...rizing-filters

    here you go, lots more links on google.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    if you've bought one, just bring it out somewhere and test by rotating it around lor =D

  13. #13

    Default Re: Help on Polariser Purchase

    I just bought a slim Hoya PF from MSColor for my UWA. Satisfied with the result so far. No vignetting. Hope this helps

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •