Thread: Abandon

Default Abandon

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, techniques, color

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Good composition of a photo. Viewer is able to feel exactly what Iím trying to tell in my photo which is abandonment. I also want to express sorrow and similar feeling thatís goes along with my abandonment theme

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    This is a photo shoot I took with my friend during sunrise at Punggol beach
    Morning sun normally makes me feel good, new day, fresh start. However I feel likewise when I see this construction site. It feels abandoned. Therefore I try to show contrast of feeling - morning sun that gives positive feeling vs an abandoned construction site that gives negative feeling
    1/160s
    F5.6
    ISO 200

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Personally I like the color, but I think thereís a problem with the composition and Iím not sure exactly what it is

Default Re: Abandon

1. photos feels "messy"... there should at least be something that is the focus and should be able to "tie" it down.
    2. You have to walk round more to look for a better angles and make good use of the modern dslr to review your shots and keep taking till you "get it"
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Default Re: Abandon

You are trying to acheive a big goal here. From your write up, you tried to juxtapose the rising sun representing optimism of a new day with the supposed sorry of the abandoned construction site. However, your photo doesn't work, on two levels.

1. Colour: I have a slight issue with the colour. This pink here, due to the sunrise or otherwise, is not moody enough to portray sorrow. You can tone down the vibrance and desaturate the pink even more.

2. Composition. I know that when your eyes see the construction site, you can sense the isolation. But you need to ask yourself why you feel this way before you try to communicate what you feel. Do you feel the abandonment because of the pile of metal hoardings on the ground? Dilapidation maybe, but abandonment- not likely. I think a better option would be to do wider and more "big picture" to show the vast emptiness of the construction site. That would work better I think.

Hope this helps, and keep shooting
    Andrew
    Olympian