Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DSLR Basic Kit to start

Default Re: DSLR Basic Kit to start

Quote Originally Posted by NikF601 View Post
    You need to know what you want to photo, then do research and learn and you can decide yourself if sufficient.
    I see. I went to F1 recently and manage to shot some paning effect, unfortunately the lens was not fast enough...May be I should learn the angle first...Says we like to shot building, what is the best way to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by NikF601 View Post
    You need to know what you want to photo, then do research and learn and you can decide yourself if sufficient.
    Thank you for your suggestion. Actually I buy alot of photography books and magazine before really afford to buy a camera...However, just sometimes theory without any practical will not lead to good result. The books may just show how the aperture look like or shuttle speed and so, I tried to memorized that. However, the resultant photo doesnt meet what the theory is...

Quote Originally Posted by right550 View Post
    I see. I went to F1 recently and manage to shot some paning effect, unfortunately the lens was not fast enough...May be I should learn the angle first...Says we like to shot building, what is the best way to do so?
    There is a gallery section for landscape / cityscape. Have a look there, plenty of good examples. There is no "best way to do so" because "best" depends on your intention and what exactly you want to show. In some situations you want to have all verticals straight, no distortions. In other situations the distortions will emphasize certain aspects.
    EOS

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually I buy alot of photography books and magazine before really afford to buy a camera...However, just sometimes theory without any practical will not lead to good result. The books may just show how the aperture look like or shuttle speed and so, I tried to memorized that. However, the resultant photo doesnt meet what the theory is...
    The shuttle speed varies depending on the phase of the space flight. I don't think NASA will allow you to change that in any way. But you can play with the shutter speed on your camera.
    It would be best for you to learn the very basics and what those parameters like shutter speed and aperture really do and how they affect the image. you can shoot a situation with different settings (e.g. start widest and close aperture; start with fast shutter and go slower) and analyze the picture. The differences are not always glaringly obvious. A stationary scenery will look the same with 1/10 or 1/1000. But a cat running through the frame would show up differently
    Secondly, read your manual properly, slowly, carefully. Most modes (except M) have automatic adjustments: you change aperture and the shutter speed follows accordingly. You change ISO and either shutter or aperture will follow (or both). Check carefully which other factors come in (e.g. auto ISO). Since exposure is defined by ISO, shutter and aperture you should keep one factor constant (e.g. ISO), then change one factor (e.g. aperture) and watch the 3rd one (here: shutter speed) and observe the result.
    EOS

yup i think you really need to self explore.. don't be too eager to get good results.. its better to get a good understanding..

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The shuttle speed varies depending on the phase of the space flight. I don't think NASA will allow you to change that in any way. But you can play with the shutter speed on your camera.
    It would be best for you to learn the very basics and what those parameters like shutter speed and aperture really do and how they affect the image. you can shoot a situation with different settings (e.g. start widest and close aperture; start with fast shutter and go slower) and analyze the picture. The differences are not always glaringly obvious. A stationary scenery will look the same with 1/10 or 1/1000. But a cat running through the frame would show up differently
    Secondly, read your manual properly, slowly, carefully. Most modes (except M) have automatic adjustments: you change aperture and the shutter speed follows accordingly. You change ISO and either shutter or aperture will follow (or both). Check carefully which other factors come in (e.g. auto ISO). Since exposure is defined by ISO, shutter and aperture you should keep one factor constant (e.g. ISO), then change one factor (e.g. aperture) and watch the 3rd one (here: shutter speed) and observe the result.
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

dun b afraid to waste the shutter clicks
    Stirring up emotions with pics - cyliew

Quote Originally Posted by ijnek View Post
    dun b afraid to waste the shutter clicks
    Roughly how much shutter clicks that we have for a DSLR? or how long we can take?

Deregistered

Roughly how much shutter clicks that we have for a DSLR? or how long we can take?
    100K.Of course,it'll take you years to reach 100K...

Haha...didnt notice that...sorry, typo...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Above is the photo taken during the Sg F1 Race... What do you think? Is because still no enough skill or equipment problems?
    Last edited by right550; 8th October 2010 at 05:46 PM.

Haha...didnt notice that...sorry, typo...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Above is the photo taken during the Sg F1 Race... What do you think? Is because still no enough skill or equipment problems?
    i think you shouldn't compare with others... taking F1 pics of fast cars is not easy... its nothing to do with equipment... you have a nice shot there.. its just that if you are too scrutinizing then ofcos you will say not good...

and if you are really interested in diving into race car photography then you should get more specific equipment.. but, photography can be alot of other things.. don't narrow yourself down too quickly, especially since you just started... you should explore.. get general equipment and have fun..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Depends on the model. high end models have a longer expected life time of the shutter - and that's how you should take it. It's an average expectation based on technical specs and build.
    EOS

Hi there, what are the basic kits, such as Lens, Filter, Flash, etc to start with when you just newly brought a DSLR?

Recently I just brought a DSLR with a lens 18-150mm, then I brought another lens 50mm, f1.8, which is a potrait lens. After that, I felt that when I take an object, the sky always over-exposure. Then, I brought another polarizing filter...

After that, I am thinking to buy hood, remote control, Flash...etc. But, is it really a necessary to buy those things? Or what is your opinion?
    the best person to advice you is the shopkeeper. try to go to shops in SimLim and LuckyPlaza. they will be able to advice you what other accessories you need to buy. happy shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathann View Post
    the best person to advice you is the shopkeeper. try to go to shops in SimLim and LuckyPlaza. they will be able to advice you what other accessories you need to buy. happy shopping.
    LOL

You forgot to put the <SARCASM> tags. Don't lead the sheep to the wolves.
    Alpha

Do we miss your irony here? Sim Lim and Lucky Plaza?
    Asking such questions in the average shop of these malls will bring him an expensive lesson of wasted money for over-prized equipment that he doesn't need / doesn't understand. Why would a shopkeeper explain to TS the basics of exposure? Sales men and shops have only one purpose: selling for the highest possible profit. Period. Everything else is good-will of some people which are highly uncommon here in SG.
    Why do you mislead beginner in such a way?
    EOS

Do we miss your irony here? Sim Lim and Lucky Plaza?
    Asking such questions in the average shop of these malls will bring him an expensive lesson of wasted money for over-prized equipment that he doesn't need / doesn't understand. Why would a shopkeeper explain to TS the basics of exposure? Sales men and shops have only one purpose: selling for the highest possible profit. Period. Everything else is good-will of some people which are highly uncommon here in SG.
    Why do you mislead beginner in such a way?
    if TS cant see the sacarsm in the reply then you need to advice him. not me.
    Last edited by jonathann; 9th October 2010 at 12:20 PM.

if TS cant see the sacarsm in the reply then you need to advice him. not me.
    Quite wrong. Many many newbies come here and got ripped off by lucky plaza and Sim Lim shops. The LAST thing we need is for you to advise them.

In the future, keep such comments to yourself.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Quite wrong. Many many newbies come here and got ripped off by lucky plaza and Sim Lim shops. The LAST thing we need is for you to advise them.

yup i'll try.

Hi there, what are the basic kits, such as Lens, Filter, Flash, etc to start with when you just newly brought a DSLR?

Recently I just brought a DSLR with a lens 18-150mm, then I brought another lens 50mm, f1.8, which is a potrait lens. After that, I felt that when I take an object, the sky always over-exposure. Then, I brought another polarizing filter...

After that, I am thinking to buy hood, remote control, Flash...etc. But, is it really a necessary to buy those things? Or what is your opinion?
    Hi, pls make a trip down to Canon showroom at Vivo if you are using Canon and the sales person there will advice you on what accessories you may need. IF you are using other brands pls go down to their respective official showroom.

You are highly encouraged to buy accessories from them as they sell at Canon recommended retail price and are all originals and will not rip you off. =)
    Last edited by jonathann; 9th October 2010 at 12:38 PM.

You are highly encouraged to buy accessories from them as they sell at Canon recommended retail price and are all originals and will not rip you off. =)
    We have a list of trusted/recommended shops. These are shops that are well-known for NOT ripping you off while still offering *below* RRP. I suggest looking there instead.
    Alpha

We have a list of trusted/recommended shops. These are shops that are well-known for NOT ripping you off while still offering *below* RRP. I suggest looking there instead.
    And may i ask if there are any trusted shops which you mentioned located in Simlim or Lucky Plaza? Eg. OP and the former Lords?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast