Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

  1. #61

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    Perhaps it's Marketing Strategy...Same in computers....Excess old spares for different configurations are re-packaged with newer models so they become part of the so called "High End" models thus companies are able to maximize money money money coming in...cheers.

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,093

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    edit: i got info wrong, sry.. =\

    to luna_sea83: thnx for correcting, paiseh..
    Last edited by Ben Ang; 9th October 2010 at 01:35 PM.
    F3, FTN, D700, just primes =)
    http://littleredcake.smugmug.com/

  3. #63
    Senior Member luna_sea83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    AF-S lenses even the 18-55 have the SWM labelled on them, only difference is the compact or ring type only.

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jalan Poonpipi
    Posts
    758

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    I noticed that some kit lenses with SWM do not have instant manual over-ride. Got to flick a switch before you can go to MF.

    But most of the other SWM lenses got instant manual over-ride, that is to say, at any time, just turn the focus ring and you do manual focus immediately.

    Dunno if this has got to do with the 2 different types of motors - ring type or micro-motor type.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    Weird thing... My 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR I lens is supposed to have a mini DC motor according to the list in the first post here.

    But it has 10 contact points as I just counted (correctly, I hope), which means it has a ring-type motor.

    So which one is correct?

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bukit Batok Street24
    Posts
    2,367

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
    Weird thing... My 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR I lens is supposed to have a mini DC motor according to the list in the first post here.

    But it has 10 contact points as I just counted (correctly, I hope), which means it has a ring-type motor.

    So which one is correct?
    In my list it may not 100% correct. Only Nikon know which lens using which type of motor, unless Nikon public a list to indicate the type of motor use in the lens.

  7. #67
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    Quote Originally Posted by La Fontaine View Post
    I noticed that some kit lenses with SWM do not have instant manual over-ride. Got to flick a switch before you can go to MF.

    But most of the other SWM lenses got instant manual over-ride, that is to say, at any time, just turn the focus ring and you do manual focus immediately.

    Dunno if this has got to do with the 2 different types of motors - ring type or micro-motor type.
    IIRC, All ring type motor I have seen has manual over-ride.
    For lenses using compact SWM with A-A/M switch, they added some sort of clutch (slide) mechanism so that turning focusing ring manually will not interfere with the rotation of motor

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
    Weird thing... My 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR I lens is supposed to have a mini DC motor according to the list in the first post here.

    But it has 10 contact points as I just counted (correctly, I hope), which means it has a ring-type motor.

    So which one is correct?
    Your lens is using compact SWM

    Last edited by fatigue; 13th October 2010 at 01:11 AM.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  8. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    540

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    Quote Originally Posted by mousedeers View Post
    In my list it may not 100% correct. Only Nikon know which lens using which type of motor, unless Nikon public a list to indicate the type of motor use in the lens.
    Just buy according to your needs.. :P
    2lives1path.com Photography
    Services :: Blog

  9. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Singapore
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    Hi all,

    I was at NSC recently and came across their Nikkor Lenses Publication Dated March 2010. On page 28, they did mention about having 2 SWM lens type as well as pictures showing the Ring SWM and Compact SWM. Reason given for using different motor was to accomodate each lens spec and design.

    Nikon did mention 2 types of motor being use for their lens. You can go down to NSC to get a free copy. It's white in colour.

    Jeremy

  10. #70
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Valjeankhoo View Post
    Hi all,

    I was at NSC recently and came across their Nikkor Lenses Publication Dated March 2010. On page 28, they did mention about having 2 SWM lens type as well as pictures showing the Ring SWM and Compact SWM. Reason given for using different motor was to accomodate each lens spec and design.

    Nikon did mention 2 types of motor being use for their lens. You can go down to NSC to get a free copy. It's white in colour.

    Jeremy
    It's their lens catalogue, and I believe I've already mentioned that here earlier...
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  11. #71
    Member Gaussian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    25

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    Home-is where my heart belongs & love ones protected.

  12. #72
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    Kudos, thanks for the informative post
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  13. #73

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    wow! Thanks for the info.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Nikon Does not tell you all the truth of SWM Silent Wave Motor?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDivine View Post
    another thing is I am surprised they include the 'slower' motor in the 24 1.4, 85 1.4, both of which high end prime lens which deserve better motors.
    interesting decision by Nikon. Maybe someone can go and email them to ask about this disparity
    It should not matter as there is only 1 focal length.
    Perhaps, you would also require more accuracy due to the low DOF for the 85 1.4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •