Thread: Old, really Old

Default Old, really Old

Hi all,

I took this shot somewhere in singapore, i forgotten. Would love to hear your comments & critiques!

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition as well as colour, contrast & saturation adjustments and post processing.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Learn better photographic techniques, improve feel of the photo.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Noon time, street photography mood

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    Old, really old. Everything is old. HAHA
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 7th October 2010 at 05:05 PM.
    NIKON d700|SB 600| 50mm f1.8| NIKON 70-200mm|

Default Re: Old, really Old

There are many, many white speckles on the photo all over the place. Were these added in PP? I don't think it works for me.
    Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    There are many, many white speckles on the photo all over the place. Were these added in PP? I don't think it works for me.
    i think TS trying to do a film/old photo effect?

The sky/clouds are a bit distracting, especially the overexposed part near the top (the sun?), and draws the attention away from the shophouses. Not sure if you deliberately avoided the lower part of the shophouses to exclude objects like cars and such from the photo. Can also consider cropping away the block of flats in the distance (bottom right hand corner) which is a 'giveaway' if you are trying to create an 'old photo' effect.

its a scratch n old effect to show how old the photo is.. its call scratch n dirty film from alienskin exposure 3 program..

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    i think TS trying to do a film/old photo effect?
    Yup you are right!

Quote Originally Posted by esoeij View Post
    The sky/clouds are a bit distracting, especially the overexposed part near the top (the sun?), and draws the attention away from the shophouses. Not sure if you deliberately avoided the lower part of the shophouses to exclude objects like cars and such from the photo. Can also consider cropping away the block of flats in the distance (bottom right hand corner) which is a 'giveaway' if you are trying to create an 'old photo' effect.
    sorry kinda of noob here.. don get you what it mean by "giveaway", i am still learning...
    Yup i deliberately avoided the objects and humans and cars, so the photo will have lesser point of focus.

-------

Maybe this does not really show a story, but i am also trying to say, despite of the hot suns scorching down the shop houses, it still stands strong for alot of years..

Thanks for the comments though, will definitely learn from you all PROs. Thanks

looks nice! maybe if you crop out the HDB block at the extreme right, it might look better?
    Canon 7D, 50mm F1.4 | Tokina 12-24mm F4 | Tamron 18-270mm F3.5/6.3 VC Macro

Quote Originally Posted by tednbaby View Post
    its a scratch n old effect to show how old the photo is.. its call scratch n dirty film from alienskin exposure 3 program..
    I understand that the white specks were added in PP and not there by accident. But I don't think it's necessary here. The colour tones you have in the photo are sufficient in my opinion, adding white specks seems a little too over the top in idea. It's nearly demanding that the viewer accept that this is an old photo when, in fact, it is not, but its trying to portray a subject matter which is old. Hope this makes sense.
    Olympian

"Giveaway" in a sense that the flats are modern and in contrast to yr theme of "old"
    Canon 7D / 24-70 F2.8L /70-200 F4L IS / 580EXII

hi ts may i know where and how do you get the white speckles effect? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blazingsun View Post
    looks nice! maybe if you crop out the HDB block at the extreme right, it might look better?
    hmm maybe? haha thanks alot.. will try that..

I understand that the white specks were added in PP and not there by accident. But I don't think it's necessary here. The colour tones you have in the photo are sufficient in my opinion, adding white specks seems a little too over the top in idea. It's nearly demanding that the viewer accept that this is an old photo when, in fact, it is not, but its trying to portray a subject matter which is old. Hope this makes sense.
    ooo... thanks thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StevenFoo View Post
    "Giveaway" in a sense that the flats are modern and in contrast to yr theme of "old"
    eh... the flats are modern ah? i don think so wor.. haha

Quote Originally Posted by qiang View Post
    hi ts may i know where and how do you get the white speckles effect? thanks
    alien exposure 3. thanks for viewing..

Blog Entries

his white specks are actually accurate to what u would get in real life... cause i have the exact same problem when i left a roll of film standing for 2 years then bring to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    his white specks are actually accurate to what u would get in real life... cause i have the exact same problem when i left a roll of film standing for 2 years then bring to develop.

Still, something is not right to me.

I'm very curious, will your film, after having laid there stagnant for 2 years, yield as sharp a photo as this?
    Olympian

From a non-critique view (i.e, normal everyday perspective), this picture aint that bad.
    Dont follow the masses, buy what you need

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ouranos View Post
    From a non-critique view (i.e, normal everyday perspective), this picture aint that bad.
    It ain't that bad. But it ain't good either.

I am sorry, it just doesn't work for me, TS.

The crop to remove the ground floor of the shophouses is extremely irritating since it is not done right. Some parts you can still see parts of that ground floor, pillars, sign boards and awnings. And some shophouses, were cut off into the 2nd floor. Meaning, you are at a wrong vantage point to be just focusing on the 2nd floor. You need to be as high up as the 2nd floor of the shop houses and at a different angle to pull it off.

I am feel that the vignetting you added to the picture too much and too ill-conceived. It does nothing to add to the picture, but made an entire stretch of the shop houses darker and blackened.

And when you try to create that old photo kind of feel with scratches and all, you need to make sure the photo entire photo looks like a old photo. This means it shouldn't be that sharp, you need more film grain, and the sky needs to be toned the same way as the rest of the pictures. In its current state, you picture looks like a digital picture gone bad, and have no old photo feel whatsoever. If you want some old photos to look at to get an idea, here are some: http://martinliewphotography.blogspo...singapore.html

Very weak composition, coupled with very weak technical execution = very weak picture.

Sorry. No way to salvage this one unless you re-shoot, and re-process this one.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 16th October 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    I am feel that the vignetting you added to the picture too much and too ill-conceived. It does nothing to add to the picture, but made an entire stretch of the shop houses darker and blackened.

And when you try to create that old photo kind of feel with scratches and all, you need to make sure the photo entire photo looks like a old photo. This means it shouldn't be that sharp, you need more film grain, and the sky needs to be toned the same way as the rest of the pictures. In its current state, you picture looks like a digital picture gone bad, and have no old photo feel whatsoever. If you want some old photos to look at to get an idea, here are some: http://martinliewphotography.blogspo...singapore.html

Daredevil,

This is what I was thinking of all this while, but couldn't really express it, neither did I have sufficient experience with film to be 100% confident I knew what I was saying before saying it.

Despite what allenleonhart said, I am under the impression that the PP done to this photo is very contrived, and also not done convincingly.

TS,
    accentuating the old-ness of your subject matter does not mean you have to simulate old film. There are other, more tasteful ways of doing it such as maybe blue tone etc. that will work better.
    Olympian

Just want to see the whole picture .

this is gimmicky to me.

work on the composition first - here, once you take away the effects, the photo falls apart. so you are effectively using a gimmick to prop up a half-baked photograph - meaning that it will be interesting for maybe 5 seconds. then it will start to sink in that the only thing interesting in the photo seems to be the little speckles, and then it goes downhill from there.

i agree, the effect does go well with these shophouses, but you have to present in them with a much stronger composition for this to be a good photo.