Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: About bounce flash

  1. #1

    Default About bounce flash

    Then some kind soul can tell me about bounce flash? Like they say bounce off the ceiling, off here off there etc. What does that actually means? Point the external flash to the ceiling?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Yup. Or wall. Add an optional bounce card to the flash head to reflect some light back to the subject to fill in shadows and produce a catch-light on the subject's eyes.

    Regards
    CK

  3. #3
    Trevor_Tan
    Guests

    Default Re: About bounce flash

    Originally posted by revenant
    Then some kind soul can tell me about bounce flash? Like they say bounce off the ceiling, off here off there etc. What does that actually means? Point the external flash to the ceiling?
    It is really pointing the flash toward the wall or celling,

    maybe you can try this few thread first:

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...t=bounce+flash
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ght=flash+sync

    If you do a search you may find more :P

  4. #4

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    Yup. Or wall. Add an optional bounce card to the flash head to reflect some light back to the subject to fill in shadows and produce a catch-light on the subject's eyes.

    Regards
    CK
    thanks, any pictures of bounce card?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Re: About bounce flash

    Originally posted by Trevor_Tan


    It is really pointing the flash toward the wall or celling,

    maybe you can try this few thread first:

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...t=bounce+flash
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ght=flash+sync

    If you do a search you may find more :P
    ok thanx

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by revenant


    thanks, any pictures of bounce card?
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  7. #7

    Default

    Originally posted by megaweb

    thanks, understood.

  8. #8
    Trevor_Tan
    Guests

    Default Re: Re: Re: About bounce flash

    Originally posted by revenant


    ok thanx
    No problem, but theory is still theory. When come to the real thing, you will face other problems. I just manage to borrow a speed light and using the defuser, the pocket bouncer, bounce here and there still sometime got a nasty and strong shadows fall on the wall . Need lots of practices.

    I still don't know when to use what Anyway below is what I gather after using the flash. Most likely is not correct, but hope some expert can correct me.

    When to use a defuser?
    Indoor, with ceiling to bounce the flash.

    When to use direct flash?
    Almost neve, unless when object is quite a distance and there is nothing behind it to case a shadow. (note even a wall at 2m behind the object also can have the object's shadow)

    When to use bounce card?
    Both indoor and outdoor, combine with ceiling bounce. for Outdoor, turn the flash head to 90 degree and the bounce card at 45 degree

    When to use the ProMax Pocket Bouncer
    When there is no ceiling to bounce. best for outdoor.

    I also note that I can't take picture from low angle (shoot upward) when using flash, will cast a shadow on wall and even ceiling. Don't know how to solve this problem. BTW I'm using Matrix TTL mode on both camera and flash.

    Sorry revenant, borrowed your thread

  9. #9

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: About bounce flash

    Originally posted by Trevor_Tan


    Sorry revenant, borrowed your thread
    No problem, I can learn at the same time too.

    Anyway, what's a defuser?

    Also, is it possible to make a bounce card with cardboard?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About bounce flash

    Originally posted by revenant
    No problem, I can learn at the same time too.

    Anyway, what's a defuser?

    Also, is it possible to make a bounce card with cardboard?
    think what he means by defuser is the Omni-Bounce, the white plastic cap that fits on top of the flash unit.

    as for making a bounce card, that's what most people do actually. all you need is a nice stiff white cardboard or plastic card and a rubber band. or if you don't want to fiddle around with a rubber band, can use a velcro strap, but have to live with the velcro on the flash.

  11. #11
    Trevor_Tan
    Guests

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About bounce flash

    Originally posted by firefox13
    think what he means by defuser is the Omni-Bounce, the white plastic cap that fits on top of the flash unit.

    as for making a bounce card, that's what most people do actually. all you need is a nice stiff white cardboard or plastic card and a rubber band. or if you don't want to fiddle around with a rubber band, can use a velcro strap, but have to live with the velcro on the flash.
    Thanks for helping me answer the questions. Isn't defuser = Omni Bounce? Or I use the wrong term?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About bounce flash

    Originally posted by Trevor_Tan


    Thanks for helping me answer the questions. Isn't defuser = Omni Bounce? Or I use the wrong term?
    diffuser, yes correct they are the same thing

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    OT, but I realised something very interesting. The word "diffuser" was originally misspelled as "defuser" and everyone followed suit....

    Regards
    CK

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    OT, but I realised something very interesting. The word "diffuser" was originally misspelled as "defuser" and everyone followed suit....

    Regards
    CK
    haha! you created a new photography term!
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  15. #15
    Trevor_Tan
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    OT, but I realised something very interesting. The word "diffuser" was originally misspelled as "defuser" and everyone followed suit....

    Regards
    CK
    Sorry, my fault
    Me very poor in spelling, writing and talking. Hence I choose my hobby as photography and hopefully a job as a programmer

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    i think in official lingo it refers to the phenomenon known as "Monkey See Monkey Do"

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Trevor_Tan


    Sorry, my fault
    Me very poor in spelling, writing and talking. Hence I choose my hobby as photography and hopefully a job as a programmer
    That's okay, but it's interesting to see others following suit.

    Regards
    CK

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang
    OT, but I realised something very interesting. The word "diffuser" was originally misspelled as "defuser" and everyone followed suit....

    Regards
    CK
    i was abt to post this too when i am reading....i tot defuser only use in counterstrike by counter-terroist??
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  19. #19

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About bounce flash

    Originally posted by firefox13
    think what he means by defuser is the Omni-Bounce, the white plastic cap that fits on top of the flash unit.

    as for making a bounce card, that's what most people do actually. all you need is a nice stiff white cardboard or plastic card and a rubber band. or if you don't want to fiddle around with a rubber band, can use a velcro strap, but have to live with the velcro on the flash.
    Generally, how big should a bounce card be? Does it have to be perfectly white?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: About bounce flash

    Originally posted by DanielG


    Generally, how big should a bounce card be? Does it have to be perfectly white?
    someone, I think roygoh, suggested using crumpled aluminium sheet which works better than most white surface.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •