Thread: Advice on backpack

Default Advice on backpack

Getting my first backpack so I would like to have some suggestions from fellow clubsnappers.

Going to travel to China for a 9-weeks trip and thus would like to buy a backpack for that use.
    I currently have a Lowepro Rezo 190AW which came as a free gift but i personally do not like sling bags.

Requirements :
    1) Able to put in a mid-sized DSLR
    2) two extra lenses (no big aperture telezooms)
    3) ~40cm folded tripod
    4) 15inch laptop.

Been looking at the Lowepro series but the fastpack 250 seems to be too big and the CompuDaypack seems to be unable to attach a tripod.

Any suggestions? My budget is around $150 so any advices will be appreciated
    Nikon D90 | Flickr

Default Re: Advice on backpack

Have you looked at Vanguard Uprise series? Either the Uprise 46 or 48 suits you well.
    Last edited by marsulein; 6th October 2010 at 05:46 PM.

Deregistered

Vanguard Uprise 46/48
    Kata 3n1-33

lowepro fastpac 250.. just nice..

Quote Originally Posted by AlvinOMG View Post
    Getting my first backpack so I would like to have some suggestions from fellow clubsnappers.

Going to travel to China for a 9-weeks trip and thus would like to buy a backpack for that use.
    I currently have a Lowepro Rezo 190AW which came as a free gift but i personally do not like sling bags.

Requirements :
    3) ~40cm folded tripod
    4) 15inch laptop.

Been looking at the Lowepro series but the fastpack 250 seems to be too big and the CompuDaypack seems to be unable to attach a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    Vanguard Uprise 46/48
    Kata 3n1-33

I personally using Vanguard Uprise 46. I LOVE IT!

According to Vanguard's website. Vanguard Uprise 46 can only hold a laptop with 14.1-inch screen only. I think you should consider an uprise 48 which cost about 200+ if you're looking at Uprise series. Challenger is selling them. You can go take a look. I bought mine from Hougang Mall.
    7D | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro | 580EX II

I use a Crumpler Sinking Barge....Solid and fully "configurable".
    OLYMPUS EM1.2 I (7-14, 12-40, 12-100,40-150,300)

Deregistered

Requirements :
    3) ~40cm folded tripod
    4) 15inch laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by farbird View Post
    lowepro fastpac 250.. just nice..
    Eh,you didn't read carefully ar?

Quote Originally Posted by snapperBB View Post
    I use a Crumpler Sinking Barge....Solid and fully "configurable".
    way over his budget.
    7D | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro | 580EX II

Requirements :
    3) ~40cm folded tripod
    4) 15inch laptop.

my advice is to get a kata dr-467 and get a tripod bag that you can sling. you can always find a way to harness the tripod to your backpack. frankly speaking, i don't like putting the tripod with the bag. photo backpacks are already overcushioned... add one more tripod... you will knock into people way too easily if you are not careful, due to the thickness of the bag and the fact that you don't have eyes at your back.

btw, when travelling, you will appreciate a sling bag when you realise that backpacks can be a pain in the arse when it comes to changing lenses QUICKLY.

Requirements :
    3) ~40cm folded tripod
    4) 15inch laptop.

Will this backpack be used to carry your cloths etc or just the photo stuff? If it is separate, how are you going to travel around? Two backpacks, or a backpack and a usual suitcase? For 9 weeks, I hope you have thought thru how you are going to move around in China.

You can try the Tamrac Evolution 8 bag...

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-5788-Ev...cm_cr-mr-title
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Do a search in Think Tank...

This backpack will be carried onboard with my laptop and photo gear while the clothes and stuff will be checked in

I fully appreciate all the suggestions above, will take a look at them when i have time.
    Nikon D90 | Flickr