Thread: Pop-up flash or speedlite ?

Default Pop-up flash or speedlite ?

Hi guys..
    I'm new to this photography thing and recently got myself a 7D and the 15-85mm kit lens.
    I find that sometimes i am unable to take gd shots under low light condition and was thinking about getting a flashgun for such purpose.
    Using the on board pop up flash seems to give me undesirable pics that are quite unnatural.
    Than i found out about pop up flash diffuser.
    Should i save $$ and get the diffuser or just go for a 580 ex II ??
    As I'm in HK, it should be cheaper to get the flashgun here compared to sg and i will be flying back soon...

Should I just get the flashgun and slowly learn more about this hobby and how to utilize my equipment ?
    I would like to learn taking product shots and some fashion stuff..
    Perhaps for selling stuff online...

Please advise..

Default Re: Pop-up flash or speedlite ?

Quote Originally Posted by photocal View Post

Should i save $$ and get the diffuser or just go for a 580 ex II ??

Please advise..
    You mean save up for a 580EXII right? cos the pop-up flash diffuser only cost about S$10. I would get the flash if i were you, the pop-up is simply too weak, especially with a diffuser attached.

well i was just considering if i should spend another couple of hundreds for a flash...
    Thats the issue for me here....Wonder if it will get me alot more better shots and pics...
    Also need alot of guidance from the pros here...

it is inevitable that you will need a flash soon and since you are in HK, it should be cheaper to get it over there. The pop up flash is not strong enough. For close range it is still ok.

I think it depends on how far you want to go into this passion of yours. Getting a flash does not equate a better photo outcome. But rather you still need to have the correct setting. More variation for you to try out with the flash too.

In my opinion, just get it . . .

PS : Oh, since you are there, you can take the lovely scenery at the peak. Pls use long exposure hor. No flash.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

I think it will be better if you just get the flash. The pop up flash is too weak. Moreover, you can't make the flash bounce off a ceiling, or rotate the camera flash. The flash's AF assist should help in achieving AF fast as well.
    Nikon D90 | AF-S 18-105mm | AF 50mm f/1.8D | Tokina 12-24mm f4 | Sigma 30mm f1.4

Depends on what you want.

A speedlite allows you to go off camera. It also allows you a wider range of power settings to play with.

Since you only need it for night shots (presumably with ppl as subjects). The built in flash can do the job, but it can be unflattering as its direction is straight from the camera. A diffuser attachment may not help that much since it will still be a small light source wrt the subject. YMMV depending on your standards and needs.
    You can play with the on-camera flash power as well, to make it less harsh or provide just some fill and not be too obvious.

Photocal trust me, sooner or later you will get a speedlite. Might as well get it sooner lol. The investment is definately worth it, you can create amazing pictures by creating interesting shadows.
    Canon 5Dmk2, 35mm f1.4L

ok thanks alot guys....been a great help...
    Just wondering how much does a 580 EX II cost in SG ??
    Its like only $550 in HK...when converted back....coz now exchange rate super gd...

Oh what do i need to get along with the flashgun ??
    For example i see some guys use a diffuser on the flash there or something like that ??

As my sis is going to have her wedding...she have asked me to help her take some usual table shots at the dinner....so its should be not difficult as her main photographer is going ard taking those candid shots....so I'll be the additional one for the usual people gathering ard...
    Was thinking i will rent a better lens on that day as well to try out.... may b the 24-70L...
    Coupled with the flash gun i think should be ok for my needs that day ?
    Perhaps can also learn some tips from the pro that day..

Thanks guys for the super prompt reply...

there is also a 430EXII model which is cheaper then 580EXII.

u can go to canon website and do a comparision btw the two.

Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    there is also a 430EXII model which is cheaper then 580EXII.

u can go to canon website and do a comparision btw the two.
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams