Thread: Gray or 2nd hand?

Default Gray or 2nd hand?

Hi guys, i wish to ask several questions regarding gray set. As a newbie, i'm also quite afraid of buying 2nd hand lenses and dunno much about gray set.
    From what i know, gray set, e.g Tamron, doesn't cover any international warranty right? Maybe only shop warranty if there is, but normally shop do not cover calibration?

So in this case, can it be said to be like buying 2nd hand lenses with expired warranty except that it's new?
    If receipt had been provided, will it helps if i bring the receipt down to e.g JEL (Tamron) to ask for any cost covered for calibration etc?
    And lastly, what is the difference between Tamron warranty card with and without international warranty (i've never seen one before) and is there any other things to take note of when buying gray set other than the usual lens inspection?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gray or 2nd hand?

Quote Originally Posted by ch4ngs7er View Post
    Hi guys, i wish to ask several questions regarding gray set. As a newbie, i'm also quite afraid of buying 2nd hand lenses and dunno much about gray set.
    From what i know, gray set, e.g Tamron, doesn't cover any international warranty right? Maybe only shop warranty if there is, but normally shop do not cover calibration?

So in this case, can it be said to be like buying 2nd hand lenses with expired warranty except that it's new?
    If receipt had been provided, will it helps if i bring the receipt down to e.g JEL (Tamron) to ask for any cost covered for calibration etc?
    And lastly, what is the difference between Tamron warranty card with and without international warranty (i've never seen one before) and is there any other things to take note of when buying gray set other than the usual lens inspection?
    No, JEL will not entertain you even if you have a receipt, if your set is a grey set. Even if they do, do you know how much it will cost you to get your lens calibrated? JEL will send your lens to Tamron Japan, where it will be calibrated, and Tamron Japan will send it back. Just make a quick estimation and you will know it is going to cost more than just getting a local copy of the lens.

For the amount of money you save getting a grey set, I'll say it is not worth it. You can also save around the same amount of money by buying a warranty set from Malaysia or Hong Kong. Tamron do have international warranty u know. Just that it is only one year while local sets enjoy 3 years warranty.

I see. Thks alot for ur advise.
    So gray set doesn't comes with a warranty card or does it look different frm other warranty cards? Need to take note of this in case got cheated next time.

In general, when people say it is a gray set, that usually means there is no warranty covered by the authorized local distributor. The set will not come with any warranty card.

But in some cases, the shop that sells you the gray set might provide limited "shop warranty". Ask them about any available shop warranty, the coverage and the length of the warranty.

You have to make your own decision to whether trust that shop warranty or not. Some reputable shops do honor their shop warranty and send the defective gray sets to local or overseas distributor for repairs.
    Last edited by CS TAN; 6th October 2010 at 07:20 AM.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

best is . . . don't get the grey set. Pay a little more for 'insurance'.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

yea after hearing all the advise, felt that paying slightly a bit more for the insurance is indeed better especially when it is third party lenses.

Thanks guys for the valuable input!

Alot of camera bodies are able to do miro adjustments. If u own a body that has this function, then even if ur lens' focus is out u can calibrate it urself, thus no need to send to servicing centres. As such grey set will be good since u save money and u wont be needing the calibration anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torak View Post
    Alot of camera bodies are able to do miro adjustments. If u own a body that has this function, then even if ur lens' focus is out u can calibrate it urself, thus no need to send to servicing centres. As such grey set will be good since u save money and u wont be needing the calibration anyway.
    Only higher end bodies can do AF micro adjustments.

For Nikon D300 and above have it. D90 and below do not.

For canon 60D and above have it. 550D and below do not.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Only higher end bodies can do AF micro adjustments.

For Nikon D300 and above have it. D90 and below do not.

For canon 60D and above have it. 550D and below do not.
    I believe Canon has dropped the micro adjustment from 60D.