Thread: Scam email alert!

Default Scam email alert!

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Urgent Help
    Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 15:59:39 -0700 (PDT)
    Reply-To: XXX@yahoo.com
    To: undisclosed recipients: ;

Apologies for having to reach out to you like this, but I made a quick trip to the UK and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and credit cards in it. The embassy has coopreated by issuing a temporary passport, I just have to pay for a ticket and settle
    Hotel bills. Unfortunately for me, I can't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but the best they could do was to send me a new card in the mail which will take 2-3 working days to arrive here.I was thinking of asking you to lend
    me some quick funds that I can give back as soon as I get in. I really need to be on a last minute flight that leaves in a few hours.

I can forward you details on how you can get the funds to me. You can reach me via (XXX@yahoo.com) as am logged on via a smart device or hotel's desk phone, the number is, +447045749898.

Regards
    Mr XXX
    To all, please be careful!

Did a search on the phone number and it looks very very fishy!

Default Re: Scam email alert!

Wah! such lousy scam. Those who really fell for this scam should just keep to themselves. Any foreigners who encounter problem overseas should contact their country embassy for assistance.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Very outdated story line, still got people believe meh?

Blog Entries

huh i thought that was obvious...

Wow, this is old school scam, almost as old as the Nigerian lottery one i think.

old school scam? thought this is quite a recent spin-off with the earliest dated back in 2008.

found this interesting webby when searching for this scam. "Hi Horse...."
    http://rafu.com/news/2010/08/horses-...ege-graduates/

Kwttan is correct on checking with embassy for help if trouble in foreign land. Maybe can get free flight for "scam artists".

Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    old school scam? thought this is quite a recent spin-off with the earliest dated back in 2008.

found this interesting webby when searching for this scam. "Hi Horse...."
    http://rafu.com/news/2010/08/horses-...ege-graduates/

Kwttan is correct on checking with embassy for help if trouble in foreign land. Maybe can get free flight for "scam artists".
    I have heard of this quite long ago, more than 5-6 years ago, it comes in many variations, for this one is ask for some help, there are others like won money somewhere but cannot take money ask you send lawyer fee and some are found precious stones or have money making opportunity, also ask you send money haha, in general, just send money.

whoever fall for this must be STU...PID!!!
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

Although cheating is very bad, however those I hate most are cases of using scam to cheat poor, lonely old folks out of their little savings/pocket money just enough for simple meals and medication bills. May thunder/lightning strike and hit these heartless cheats
    Last edited by kwttan; 6th October 2010 at 10:23 AM.
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    Although cheating is very bad, however those I hate most are cases of using scam to cheat poor, lonely old folks out of their little savings/pocket money just enough for simple meals and medication bills. May thunder/lightning strike and hit these heartless cheats
    These are the worst crooks, sadly, when you flip through the chinese evening papers, you still hear stories of the elderly still falling for the magic stone and other scams.

the email itself would tell you it's a confirmed scam. don't need to waste time check the contact number
    Mythbusters - the bigger the explosion, the better it is.

Besides cheating elderly folks, another worst and heartless scam/crime is selling contaminated food to the public. One example is the milk powder contamination case in GC 1-2 years back, killing and making many toddlers very sick, very sad cases.
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

+44 is country code for UK

Member/Tangshooter

E-mail ones hit rate is probably 1 out of 10,000..
    The worst is still the phone call Kidnapped scams..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    I have heard of this quite long ago, more than 5-6 years ago, it comes in many variations, for this one is ask for some help, there are others like won money somewhere but cannot take money ask you send lawyer fee and some are found precious stones or have money making opportunity, also ask you send money haha, in general, just send money.
    Must look at the nature of the scam and the "originality". This is the first time i have encountered this, where else those prince and lottery draw emails has been flooding to my emails for a couple of decades liao........well, at least since internet started.

and if any friends of mine or relative truly stranded in some island asking for help and because this then..........

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    the email itself would tell you it's a confirmed scam. don't need to waste time check the contact number
    the problem with this scam is that they send it out via the original sender which could be your friend's or relative's email. Looks like email is compromised not only for information theft but also by scams.