Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need advise in deciding on car to purchase

Quote Originally Posted by ralphii82sg
    well, with the e36 320i i suffererd some problems with the electronics and spent close to 8.5k on repairs.. one problem after another.. then came the 96 c180, i burnt the transmission, during the days at jurong island...hehehe well the w210 e200 kompressor.. fuel comsumption is a little over the high side...then i'm suffering some problems with lights.. fog light blows too regularly.. hehehe

servicing includes brake pads wearing out faster then jap counterparts(due to heavy weight of car)... needs more regular engine oil change.. got to watch the ATF and tyre threading...

oh.. yah.. are u guys experiencing some misfiring problems at high rpm with shell petrol??
    ralphii82, sorry to hear of your problems with yr E36 320i. I believe the electronics for that model had lots of bugs in them, which was fortunately improved with the E46.

What do you mean watch the ATF and tyre threading? Do you mean abnormally high tyre wear on the E36?

No I'm not experiencing any misfiring with Shell fuels. What are you experiencing?

oh.. yah.. are u guys experiencing some misfiring problems at high rpm with shell petrol??
    I stopped using shell when I had my Alfa 75 Twinspark (now that's a dangerously fast car). the second tank of shell and the engine would misfire badly and SHAKES! Now I only use Caltex because my fleetcard gives me 15% discount

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    ralphii82, sorry to hear of your problems with yr E36 320i. I believe the electronics for that model had lots of bugs in them, which was fortunately improved with the E46.

What do you mean watch the ATF and tyre threading? Do you mean abnormally high tyre wear on the E36?

No I'm not experiencing any misfiring with Shell fuels. What are you experiencing?

well.. u got to watch for leaks in the ATF learn a painful lesson when i burn the tranny in the old c180.. anyway.. threading, maybe thats just for me.. crazy things i used to do.. hahaha... i'm gald the bugs have been ironed out in the e46.. anyway.. just an observation.. i find that beemers generally, drink much more then mercs.. wat do u guys feel??

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    I stopped using shell when I had my Alfa 75 Twinspark (now that's a dangerously fast car). the second tank of shell and the engine would misfire badly and SHAKES! Now I only use Caltex because my fleetcard gives me 15% discount
    anyway, i have friends who swear by caltax( i'm one) it burns real smooth.. but real fast too.. hahaha..usually gives the least milage.. anyway.. i guess the alfa 75 twinspark must be a high compression engine.. cos thats when shell users will experience misfire.. also, shell petrol generally burns at higher temp.. well.. after trying out 2 tanks of shell as compared to caltex.. i feel that the car idles with more noise and does not run as smooth as compared to caltex..wonder why?? anyway i can get my hands on the fleet card of urs?

Would not recommend other cars than a Evo 7. Have money get the Evo 8. Sure it's bumpy but once you get the use to it, you will never know it's there. Get the original specs with 280bhp version. Have not regret eversince. Touch wood, so far no problem at all. All you need is know when to service your car and keep it in tune.

That is the hassle in getting any car. Whether it's turbo charge or family sedan. You need to know more about it if you were a get a car. It will cost you plenty of money if care and maintainence is not taken care of seriously. Anyway good luck on the car that you are getting but if you really have the $$$$$ Evo all the way.

If you have even more $$$$$$$$$, my only dream is a Nissan GT R34 Skyline!

well, with the e36 320i i suffererd some problems with the electronics and spent close to 8.5k on repairs.. one problem after another.. then came the 96 c180, i burnt the transmission, during the days at jurong island...hehehe well the w210 e200 kompressor.. fuel comsumption is a little over the high side...then i'm suffering some problems with lights.. fog light blows too regularly.. hehehe

servicing includes brake pads wearing out faster then jap counterparts(due to heavy weight of car)... needs more regular engine oil change.. got to watch the ATF and tyre threading...

what exactly is kompressor? do they make high powered engines for benz?

wait for the Dreamcars Asia motorshow at Expo this end June then u know what car to buy and mod.. Try Nissan Skyline...

Default Kompressor

Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    what exactly is kompressor? do they make high powered engines for benz?
    Kompressor is basically a supercharger, as opposed to turbocharger.

pagani zonda..btw, a couple are already running ard..
    Interesting, I didn't think they'd be road legal in Singapore!

No.. the civics are still using the gear shifts mounted in front of the hand brakes.. only the civic type R aka EP3 has iots gear shift mounted on the dash..

Ditto the interesting sentiment. The Civics here have been on what sounds like the Singapore type R chassis for 2 years at least. It is a decent car indeed, but I turned it down because I was looking for a diesel and until the latest Accord, Honda don't make their own diesels (the Civic diesel is made by Isuzu). The standard Civic and Type R use the same body over here.

Quote Originally Posted by rty
    The previous model of Prius (sold at around $107K) apparently is a big failure in Singapore as far as marketing is concerned. I am not sure if Borneo Motor will eventually take another risk to bring in the new Prius II as I see the new LTA rebate scheme for green cars doesn't seem to be attractive enough. Until it happens, it looks like we in Singapore can only dream about it for now.
    Well I'm considering one at the moment myself, and on paper anyway it looks like a great proposition for town driving (56mpg which is 1000km on a tank, *in town*), alas my miles are mainly extra-urban but the combined figure is still better than my TDI. Don't know how it translates but over here the (New) Prius retails from 17,750 to 20,xxx. Which is about the same price as an A3. (A Type R Civic retails at the bottom end of that range). On top of that there is a 1500 grant from the government. 0-62 in 10.9s, 400Nm or torque at up to 1200rpm, and virtual complete silence around town (bar road noise obviously). One of these days I'm going to test drive one...
    Last edited by Jed; 5th June 2004 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades
    Would not recommend other cars than a Evo 7. Have money get the Evo 8. Sure it's bumpy but once you get the use to it, you will never know it's there. Get the original specs with 280bhp version. Have not regret eversince. Touch wood, so far no problem at all. All you need is know when to service your car and keep it in tune.
    Haha nice one mate. And 12mpg around town. Not sure I can manage that!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123