Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advise in deciding on car to purchase

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bearycute
    Do consider the Toyota Altis...same price range and spacious compared to lancer....hugs the road very well when negotiating bends...liked wad most have said...do go for test drive to see which one u like...
    agree... Altis n Vios good nice to drive also...
    Simple Is Beautiful...

Think most of the guys have already mentioned earlier on that wat u set ur priorities on is important. It really dont make sense to buy a car cos it looks remotely like its distant powerful cousin eg, lancer to evo or impreza to wrx. The Honda is a good car car imo, its got one of the best designed engine for power to fuel use ratio. Its considered one of the most accident prone car cos in the past Honda cars are made very light with relatively powerful engines, which is why till now, boy racers still fancy the old Civic hatchback. Its powerful, low-CG and it fuel consumption is low. But recent honda's design is some what more laid back. Comfort and smooth ride is their priority now rather than raw power.

The Lancer is nothing like Evo, nothing, maybe except for chassis. Besides that, nothing. So if u think u can get away with a body kit. I suggest u drop the idea. Its chassis is rather heavy thus leading to the sluggish move off. Anyway , for all cars, if u prefer to have more feel, control and power, its better to go for the manual version, but u will have to take into consideration on the resale value, as most Singaporeans will go for an auto anytime for a "family saloon" styled car unless we are toking about the race prepped variants, like the wrx, integra's, Evo's etc where manual will be a better and wiser choice in terms or resale or power.

Good Luck on ur choice. By the way, i dont drive any of the above mentioned cars, just driven them before. If u want comfy, drop wrx STI and EVO, u can virtually ready the surface condition of the tarmac with ur bum.

If u are really serious about performance, then go get a WRX, no need STI, cos that will cost $133K, the WRX is about $103K, u will get about 200BHP under the hood, that will easily beat any car other family saloon car for moving off. But if u are feeling rich, getthe STI, its worth every penny, cos u will need to spend even more than 30K to mod the WRX to something near the STI, and still not quite get there, its about 300BHP for the STI JDM version, and we are not even toking about the Spec-c or T25 version. However ,if u are into how smooth a car is, go for Conti's, cars like Beemers, Mercs, Saabs, are darn smooth. Go for the 6 pots variants if u can afford the extra 15-20K. Its worth every cent. Ur high end torgue will be there. Smooth and endless supply of power. Ur speedo will go on and on.

P.s. The altis and the vios are Thailand made if im not wrong. They are good car imo, low fuel consumption, and canget u where u want to. If u travel alot and fuel consumption is very important to u, then i think the vios will be a good choice, its designed for the city. An all rounder will be the altis. Honda's good too, jus slightly more ex, but u will be easier to find a buyer for it when u wanna sell it.

Disclaimer:
    All the above are just my humble opinions, and serves no purpose for any real commercial reference.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by alloy; 3rd June 2004 at 03:17 AM.

Default Why there are Lancer "Die-hard"

Hi all,

I would not want to dispute btw Lancer and Civic... I drove both cars before and decided to stay with Mit.

IMHO, Civic SIR and the current VTI are good cars, they give power when Vtec on.... ppl would agree that the weight of the car also contribute to the factor in power. Nonetheless, if u like the design go ahead, all Japanese car would not give similar petrol consumption come to city ride. My VTI only gave me less that 500km/FT. However, resale value and OMV would be the concern. ANyway, if come to long distance driving (driving in N-S highway) u would know why I stayed with Mit. The feeling of the road holding and and the displacement of wheel-base, I would go for a lancer.

Civic, if I'm not wrong... the latest power for VTI (1.6) comes with abt 126 bhp which is 20+ bhp more than a lancer (100bhp for 1.5, 105bhp for 1.6). However, if u will to measure against the weight of a lancer and civic, u would found civic is lighter... at the same time, a lancer would come with a low rev than civic running at a high rev.

Go for test drive and find out ur self whether wat u want... lancer is not a bad choice as it give significant good handling. For the insurance that post higher in civic, basically insurance company wanted to use the accident rates in singapore to increase the charges. Of course, minor and major, civic is prone to involve (not because of it's power) but because of the driver.....

Civic is definitely value for money, but u would find Toyota being popular in Philippines, Mazda popular in Japan... Honda in Singapore.... If u are not technically incline or upgrading ur car in third party after market products, go for Toyota....

Just my own experience...

Toyota toyota toyota : )

Get a > 10 year old Corolla/Starlet
    ( depends on how many persons you want to tompang )

It will last another 10 years
    Plenty of spare parts
    Great fuel economy
    still got money left for L lens : )

Seriouly, in my opinion,
    Singapore cars are all under driven

Definitely, there's no avenue to drive a car to its potential in Singapore, not legally anyway.

Out of curiosity, is the Civic in Singapore the same model as over here? With the gearshift mounted on the dash?

Also, if the Toyota Prius makes it to Singapore, that is THE car to buy for Singapore without a shadow of a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog
    the lancer's a boring car. only 75hp. civic is singapore's most accident prone car and that's why the insurance is so high.
    Sorry to OT abit. U know why it's one of the most accident prone car? Older models of Civic are more sporty looking and many people modified them and souped up their engines and most of them are Ah Bengs. Many of them drive recklessly without any consideration to other road users. It's not the car but the driver! The current model is more like a family car; so u can be assured that hardly any Ah Beng will want to modify it because it doesn't look sporty.

Quote Originally Posted by alloy
    But if u are feeling rich, getthe STI, its worth every penny, cos u will need to spend even more than 30K to mod the WRX to something near the STI, and still not quite get there, its about 300BHP for the STI JDM version, and we are not even toking about the Spec-c or T25 version.
    for 30k.. u can get something much much much more powerful then the STI.. bigger turbo, boost controller, turbo timer, front mounted intercooler(then again u cannot have the foglights as the piping gets in the way), etc.. amounts to less then 15k brand new.. like alloy, i would advise getting the wrx instead of the STI..the near 30k difference, is enough for me to get a STI half cut, where I can 2 sets of everything.. well.. from my personal experience from driving a wrx, its a car that not many ppl would be able to handle.. traditional turbo car, where u feel the turbo lag..till abt 4k rpm, when the car really starts to pull.. but will fade off at ard 5.5k....then agian it was with the GD bugeye rex.. anyway.. ALL JDM spec cars are limited to 280bhp.. as for T25.. dun see it making its way to sg..

ps: just a caution...the stock wrx 4pot subaru calipers with 2 pot rear, is not enough to stop the rex at high speeds..

However ,if u are into how smooth a car is, go for Conti's, cars like Beemers, Mercs, Saabs, are darn smooth. Go for the 6 pots variants if u can afford the extra 15-20K. Its worth every cent. Ur high end torgue will be there. Smooth and endless supply of power. Ur speedo will go on and on.
    I would advise against getting conti's unless u have the money to burn..personal experiences with a e36 beemer and a w210 merc.. my opinion is, the low end torque is definately there... but the fuel consumption and maintainance is going to kill u... yes.. the 6 potties have higher torque figs and bigger bhp.. but the engines aren't design for high end torque unlike wat alloy said.. gear shifts occur at ard 6k -6.8k rpm max, for the conti's( we are not talking abt high capacity engine, eg the 7.3L merc engine used in the pagani zonda..btw, a couple are already running ard.. ) also, conti's would require more regular maintanance as many are not design for the climate and tropical weather over here...

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Out of curiosity, is the Civic in Singapore the same model as over here? With the gearshift mounted on the dash?
    No.. the civics are still using the gear shifts mounted in front of the hand brakes.. only the civic type R aka EP3 has iots gear shift mounted on the dash..

well, having said that.. i suggest looking at ur long term.. would u be selling the car after a few yrs?? if so, i would advise getting a honda, generally, in the jap car market.. they command one of the highest resale value.. the ES series vti looks good enough.. but the suspension ain setup for performance, more for comfort.. but if u are talking abt raw power.. either the lancer nor civic is good enough.. the older EG Vti and EK Sir are the ones u should go for.. especially with their screaming B16A2 and B16A4.. if if u aren't concerm with resale value, performance, but looking for a car which saves petrol, a car which gets u from point a-b, u might wanna look at the honda fit(parallel impt) or jazz(kah motors)

just my 2 cents...

P.s. The altis and the vios are Thailand made if im not wrong.
    Not wrong. They are both made in Thailand and are indeed good cars but beware of the delivery time. Order only if you are willing to wait for 4 months if you order one today (from Borneo Motors).

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    Also, if the Toyota Prius makes it to Singapore, that is THE car to buy for Singapore without a shadow of a doubt.
    The previous model of Prius (sold at around $107K) apparently is a big failure in Singapore as far as marketing is concerned. I am not sure if Borneo Motor will eventually take another risk to bring in the new Prius II as I see the new LTA rebate scheme for green cars doesn't seem to be attractive enough. Until it happens, it looks like we in Singapore can only dream about it for now.

Another thing to consider for buying new cars is the agents behind them. Some agents suck. You buy a new car, you get free warranty for a limited period. If the agent is no good, you will be living in nightmare during the warranty period.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    Sorry to OT abit. U know why it's one of the most accident prone car? Older models of Civic are more sporty looking and many people modified them and souped up their engines and most of them are Ah Bengs. Many of them drive recklessly without any consideration to other road users. It's not the car but the driver! The current model is more like a family car; so u can be assured that hardly any Ah Beng will want to modify it because it doesn't look sporty.
    some months back, there was an accident where lancer was turning right and civic ploughed into it. if you monitor car accidents, you will find a large number of them involve civics. why ah beng driving subaru don't get into accidents? is it the driver?

is there a singapore-based car forum?

some months back, there was an accident where lancer was turning right and civic ploughed into it. if you monitor car accidents, you will find a large number of them involve civics. why ah beng driving subaru don't get into accidents? is it the driver?
    well.. cos civics got the most bang for buck.. which other 1.6L car can offer u so much fun then the eg VTI or ek SIR?? hahaha.. anyway.. its the driver.. so regardless of watever car u drive.. if u are not careful.. u will get into accidents.. remember.. power is NOTHING without control...

Quote Originally Posted by offspring
    there are quite a few in delphi.. u just got to search..

Default Servicing Continental cars

Quote Originally Posted by ralphii82sg

I would advise against getting conti's unless u have the money to burn..personal experiences with a e36 beemer and a w210 merc...also, conti's would require more regular maintanance as many are not design for the climate and tropical weather over here...

When you say regular maintenance, do you mean servicing over and above the sevice interval?

May I ask what problems you encountered with yr E36 and W210?

Hewland

Well, I do love honda, but one thing is true honda car insurance premium is higher compared to other maker. I paid 600 buck more compared if I take same model made by Toyota. Lots of Honda owner here soup up their engine to street racing level and quite fascinating to know what they've done to their power plant under the hood. For me if looking performance in Honda I will get 1.5 VTEC JDM Fit.......
    Souped up VTech R-Type engine can produce power close to turbo charged engine.....without any kind of forced induction.
    Other than that if $$ not issue can get the ultimate one JDM Accord Euro R (CL7) or this concept car from MUGEN : Honda Fit Dynamite

BTW, Honda Malaysia just launched Civic 2.0l SIR....the engine is K20A i-VTEC and the Vtec is screaming like B16A2 and B16A4 engine.
    Last edited by Knighthunter; 3rd June 2004 at 11:32 PM.
    W204FL

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland
    When you say regular maintenance, do you mean servicing over and above the sevice interval?

Hewland
    Had an 89 BMW 520i and still driving a 90 Benz E200, both are extremely strongly built and fuel efficient (compared within the 2 litre class), and reasonable maintenance bill (not cheap but you pay for the thorough service program, I especially like the Performance Motor thoroughness and their anytime anywhere zebra service). My Benz returns 9˝km per litre which is extremely good for 2litres and such heavy cars, and after 250,000km of use!

Default they don't make them like they used to anymore

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Had an 89 BMW 520i and still driving a 90 Benz E200, both are extremely strongly built and fuel efficient (compared within the 2 litre class), and reasonable maintenance bill (not cheap but you pay for the thorough service program, I especially like the Performance Motor thoroughness and their anytime anywhere zebra service). My Benz returns 9˝km per litre which is extremely good for 2litres and such heavy cars, and after 250,000km of use!
    Hi hwchoy,

Yup, they don't make them like they used to anymore! I presume your 1990 E200 is the W124? My dad had a W124 E300-24V in the early 1990s, which still had the inline-6 engine. Strong, robust (the door shut with the vault-like thud of a Merc) and immensely torquey. More than 10 yrs later I'm still raving abt the car. And the quality of Mercs these days are seriously lacking.

Hewland

yeah it's a W124 but only four pots. what I liked about the 520i was the inline 6, damn smooth man. Still you're right about the door and the torque. Amazingly for such a heavy car, the autotrans ALWAYS start in gear 2 unless you stomp on the gas!

Quote Originally Posted by offspring
    You should visit MyCarForum:
    http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/gforum.cgi

However, the site is currently down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewland

Hewland
    well, with the e36 320i i suffererd some problems with the electronics and spent close to 8.5k on repairs.. one problem after another.. then came the 96 c180, i burnt the transmission, during the days at jurong island...hehehe well the w210 e200 kompressor.. fuel comsumption is a little over the high side...then i'm suffering some problems with lights.. fog light blows too regularly.. hehehe

servicing includes brake pads wearing out faster then jap counterparts(due to heavy weight of car)... needs more regular engine oil change.. got to watch the ATF and tyre threading...

oh.. yah.. are u guys experiencing some misfiring problems at high rpm with shell petrol??

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    yeah it's a W124 but only four pots. what I liked about the 520i was the inline 6, damn smooth man. Still you're right about the door and the torque. Amazingly for such a heavy car, the autotrans ALWAYS start in gear 2 unless you stomp on the gas!
    Sorry photobeginner, we hijacked your post and took it OT!

hwchoy, yes BMW's I-6 is still the smoothest 6 cyl around. Had an E39 5-series and I enjoyed redlining it cos it never feel out of breath. Fortunately I'm continuing to enjoy BMW's I-6, albeit in a 3 series.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast