Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    frankly speaking.. i bought this manfrotto when i just purchase my first camera last year... it was recommended to me by a fren... and i read many posts by senior here that we need a good tripod so that the 1000 dollars camera won't drop .... so i spend that $ lor...

then i read your post (old) that u use cheap one... i sort of regret really.... i hate to buy expensive things unless necessary... bcos it only make u worry more...

your cheap tripod don't shake when u do long exposure or normal landscape? when wind blowing it , will it shake?
    my cheap tripod is not those cui plastic type. those type i don't dare to bring into sea also.

i have a manfrotto prosumer, the last one i got before i bought my current giottos setup (which is doing fine, save for the start of rust). it has lasted me for nearly 3 years, cost about $70-$80. has been into sea, etc. no, it doesn't shake. wind blow, of course if strong enough will shake, same for my current better tripod mar..

but one major difference is that the manfrotto prosumer cannot handle slightly longer exposure for longer lenses.. but that's like, what, 10% of the time? the main reason why i got a more expensive tripod was because i wanted something taller (and solid), as well as a panballhead.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    my cheap tripod is not those cui plastic type. those type i don't dare to bring into sea also.

i have a manfrotto prosumer, the last one i got before i bought my current giottos setup (which is doing fine, save for the start of rust). it has lasted me for nearly 3 years, cost about $70-$80. has been into sea, etc. no, it doesn't shake. wind blow, of course if strong enough will shake, same for my current better tripod mar..

but one major difference is that the manfrotto prosumer cannot handle slightly longer exposure for longer lenses.. but that's like, what, 10% of the time? the main reason why i got a more expensive tripod was because i wanted something taller (and solid), as well as a panballhead.
    pai say.. need to consult u ..

so u mean u r using giottos tripod? and it cost 70-80? can do long exposure with long lens (i have 70-200 1.3 kg super heavy lens)?

i think i should sell away my manfrotto liao...

haha...

Hey I'm using a tripod my uncle gave to me awhile back which he used during his SLR film days, still works like a charm(except that the screw attached to the camera is a little lose after I mount on and take out.)

It's a Minolta MX700(I think it's already , and frankly, I bring it with me when I go into the jungle(meaning mud, sand, river) and has been for a few months ever since I got it and I haven't cleaned it, let the sediments drop off itself haha I don't know maybe I have been lazy to bother about cleaning it. I believe the tripod is made to serve us and am not too worried about it spoiling and so far am super happy with it

but like the others said you could try using plastic bags and all to keep it dry

Use plastic bags, might as well do not use. Put double bags, into the pond or sea, small sharp stones poke through, water seeps in, back to square one...

If really concern about if the tripod can take the water "treatment", get the SAF GPMG tripod, damn solid , don't scare topple, don't scare strong wind, don't scare mud.. . Joking la, unless you want to sign 1206 for it, else how to get it sia..

Jokes aside, I had set up tripod underwater in the Southern Island and mounted camera systems etc... Its just a cheap alum tripod... Of course, the alum tripod is expected to be written off. So far so good after a few mths of using, just rinse it well, after contact with any pond or seawater. , Manfrotto, pay so much, so be ok...

Quote Originally Posted by stonefish35 View Post
    Use plastic bags, might as well do not use. Put double bags, into the pond or sea, small sharp stones poke through, water seeps in, back to square one...

If really concern about if the tripod can take the water "treatment", get the SAF GPMG tripod, damn solid , don't scare topple, don't scare strong wind, don't scare mud.. . Joking la, unless you want to sign 1206 for it, else how to get it sia..

Jokes aside, I had set up tripod underwater in the Southern Island and mounted camera systems etc... Its just a cheap alum tripod... Of course, the alum tripod is expected to be written off. So far so good after a few mths of using, just rinse it well, after contact with any pond or seawater. , Manfrotto, pay so much, so be ok...
    i think mas selamat uses this tripod leh... bcos he need to swim...

Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    i think mas selamat uses this tripod leh... bcos he need to swim...

Haha.. maybe Anyway He's back... I'm sure he is on 24/7 personal guard

i have dipped my one and only average looking tripod in mud / salt water / freshwater / ice water / onsen sulfur hot pools and still working after these yrs. Just make sure to clean it with water after.

ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    i have dipped my one and only average looking tripod in mud / salt water / freshwater / ice water / onsen sulfur hot pools and still working after these yrs. Just make sure to clean it with water after.

ryan
    thks alot... i will also dip it when needed... now i know it won't get destroyed easily .. haha

tks to all who replied.. really appreciate your time and effort..

Mine went into seawater, river, pond, mud and it still works. Some sand do get caught in the tubes but you can strip clean and rinse with water.

Tripods are just mechanical items. Aluminium and carbon fiber are corrosion resistance so they wont spoil that easily.

My tripod use in mud most daily, at time in stream water, beach & drain. Wash it after use will do the job, my Gitzo explorer & Fotopro serve me well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12