Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

  1. #1

    Default placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    hi

    i have a manfrotto 190xprob , which cost around 190, and i consider it expensive.

    it should be aluminium...

    i just bought my first uwa yesterday and now i can finally go try some landscape with foreground interest...

    my questions is, if i plant my tripod into some pond or sea.. and then try to dry it... will the water damage the tripod?

    or i should just go get some cheapo tripod ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Go get three plastic tubes for putting wet umbrellas in. Place a leg into each of them and go shoot in water up to just below where the plastic stops.

  3. #3
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    you should rinse it with clean water first before drying

    a good tip is to use the plastic bags which they give out for wet umbrellas on the 3 legs before you put your tripod into the sea

  4. #4

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Gi...Traveler-11468

    This tripod will survive pond, ocean, etc.

  5. #5

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    i did thought of the plastic bag method... but i guess need at least 2. in case there is a tiny opening and water goes in....

    u guys tried the plastic method before?

  6. #6

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    i did thought of the plastic bag method... but i guess need at least 2. in case there is a tiny opening and water goes in....

    u guys tried the plastic method before?
    I'm using the same tripod and normally protect the legs with umbrella plastic bags as mentioned by Daoyin. A small leak doesn't matter. Just make sure you wash the legs with clean water and dry them properly after use. Your Manfrotto tripod is able to withstand more than you think it can.
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

  7. #7

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by mimik07 View Post
    I'm using the same tripod and normally protect the legs with umbrella plastic bags as mentioned by Daoyin. A small leak doesn't matter. Just make sure you wash the legs with clean water and dry them properly after use. Your Manfrotto tripod is able to withstand more than you think it can.
    hi

    tks alot


  8. #8

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hi

    tks alot

    Time to go low!
    5D3|1740L|70200F4L|40

  9. #9

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by mimik07 View Post
    Time to go low!
    yes man!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,701

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    tried it few weeks ago at puggol beach . . . the umbrella plastic is good.

    If you are afraid seepage, just put in double for each legs . . . don't forget to bring rubberbands to 'fix' it up.
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    My tripod goes everywhere including mud and water. Just do a proper cleaning after use. I normally open up all the section and clean them.

    BTW I'm using Gitzo LSV3530.

  12. #12

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    ... three plastic tubes for putting wet umbrellas in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    ....use the plastic bags which they give out for wet umbrellas ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mimik07 View Post
    .... protect the legs with umbrella plastic bags ....
    Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    . . . the umbrella plastic is good.

    Slightly out of topic. Where may we buy the plastic bag for the wet umbrellas? I'm looking for these bags for my tripod too? Thanks.

  13. #13

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    I am a Cheapo. i use those given out during rainy days at shopping malls, office.

  14. #14

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post

    my questions is, if i plant my tripod into some pond or sea.. and then try to dry it... will the water damage the tripod?

    or i should just go get some cheapo tripod ?
    pond, freshwater, not that bad.

    sea, saltwater... it will help your tripod to rust.

    i don't really care, having plastic bags to me, is not practical etc... after all if you really want to take photos,

    i.e. you don't sit there and "sayang tripod sayang.... i don't put you into the sand ok..... sayang... i protect you with umbrella plastic... i will make sure the sand inside the sea won't break the plastic bags...."

    so in the end, plastic bags break, water go in... no difference, back at square one.

    of course, this statement is made with the qualifier that i have never bothered with plastic bags.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,792

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Why buy when they are given out free. Just be patient.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Eastern Part of Singapore
    Posts
    513

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    I'm sure a decent tripod like manfrotto can take a beating and still be able to work well, not that i recommend you to beat it or use it to beat people, but you get the drift...yeah so i would prefer my tripod to be rugged and well used, it feels....good, thats me anyway
    Current: 550D + EFS 18-135mm IS + EF 50mm f1.8 II

  17. #17

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by galmen View Post
    I'm sure a decent tripod like manfrotto can take a beating and still be able to work well, not that i recommend you to beat it or use it to beat people, but you get the drift...yeah so i would prefer my tripod to be rugged and well used, it feels....good, thats me anyway
    me too feel that we should use all these equipment to the fullest.... but not to the extend of shortening its lifespan.. and then i will have to waste $ and buy another one... haha...

  18. #18

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    pond, freshwater, not that bad.

    sea, saltwater... it will help your tripod to rust.

    i don't really care, having plastic bags to me, is not practical etc... after all if you really want to take photos,

    i.e. you don't sit there and "sayang tripod sayang.... i don't put you into the sand ok..... sayang... i protect you with umbrella plastic... i will make sure the sand inside the sea won't break the plastic bags...."

    so in the end, plastic bags break, water go in... no difference, back at square one.

    of course, this statement is made with the qualifier that i have never bothered with plastic bags.
    ya.. i remember u posted before that u have changed several tripods... so u how much u have spend on all these tripods? should be several hundreds i think...

  19. #19

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    ya.. i remember u posted before that u have changed several tripods... so u how much u have spend on all these tripods? should be several hundreds i think...
    not much.... $50-$70 each, 3-4 tripods...

    which would be more or less the cost of a manfrotto + ok head


  20. #20

    Default Re: placing tripod in a pond will damage tripod?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    not much.... $50-$70 each, 3-4 tripods...

    which would be more or less the cost of a manfrotto + ok head

    frankly speaking.. i bought this manfrotto when i just purchase my first camera last year... it was recommended to me by a fren... and i read many posts by senior here that we need a good tripod so that the 1000 dollars camera won't drop .... so i spend that $ lor...

    then i read your post (old) that u use cheap one... i sort of regret really.... i hate to buy expensive things unless necessary... bcos it only make u worry more...

    your cheap tripod don't shake when u do long exposure or normal landscape? when wind blowing it , will it shake?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •