Thread: What happen? How come only the head and the legs of this bird turned out sharp

Default What happen? How come only the head and the legs of this bird turned out sharp

Yo, all the masters out there, I hope you could help me out here.

I have been encountering this issue for some time now.

ISO: 640
    Shutter speed: 1/200
    aperture: f/5.6
    focal length: 420mm (300mm + 1.4x teleconverter)

I have manually selected the center focus point in my 40D.

My question is, how come only the head and the legs of this bird turned out sharp, the rest of the body are out of focus, btw, I have pointed the center focus point at the head of the bird.

Some of my other shots are the same too.

Please help.

Thanks.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Default Re: What happen?

it is possible that the bird was ruffling its feathers during the time of shot. the feather floating around also points to this. so this is motion blur, and you might consider waiting for a moment where it is not ruffling itself.... or up the shutter speed by using a larger aperture, or even higher ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it is possible that the bird was ruffling its feathers during the time of shot. the feather floating around also points to this. so this is motion blur, and you might consider waiting for a moment where it is not ruffling itself.... or up the shutter speed by using a larger aperture, or even higher ISO.
    Hmmm... that might be the case... however when I expand the pic to 100% of its original size, I found that the white area of the body had a total lost of detail. You just see a very blur white object.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Hmmm... that might be the case... however when I expand the pic to 100% of its original size, I found that the white area of the body had a total lost of detail. You just see a very blur white object.
    Try it without the TC.
    Alpha

I might be wrong but the details of white area lost could be due to motion blur too. Just that the maybe in the first place the white feathers have 'soft' details in the first place so adding motion will just make it looked like a patch of white. Different from hard feathers whereby you can see the clear outlines of the feathers. Since the bird's body is shaking, most probably the white portion is in motion too.

1. Motion blur. The bird is not a statue and won't pose for you.
    2. You're using a TC. Most TCs degrade the image quality further.
    Olympian

Try a faster shutter speed. Usually a reciprocal of your focal length.

i.e 100mm - 1/100, 420mm - 1/400 etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

Waa...now handshake issue come in.
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8

I don't think the issue here is handshake. If not, everything would be OOF.
    Using a shorter shutter speed would give rise to less motion blur due to the bird moving though.
    Olympian

Blog Entries

we've allowed for enough characters in the Thread Title box for you guys to put up a meaningful title for your threads ha ha ha

"What happen?" is a very vague thread topic ......... hope u dont mind.... I've inserted a little more info with a cut and paste of a part of your original question in your first post.
    Last edited by ed9119; 8th October 2010 at 02:39 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    I don't think the issue here is handshake. If not, everything would be OOF.
    Using a shorter shutter speed would give rise to less motion blur due to the bird moving though.
    Yup. A shutter speed will give less motion blur. In general a reciprocal approach would be a good starting point.

Minute movements from both camera and subject at tele distances can affect sharpness.

Default Re: What happen? How come only the head and the legs of this bird turned out sharp

Looks to me like Motion Blur, a higher shutter speed will solve this problem.
    I am a highly priced Red Spotted Wild Green Discus.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    1. Motion blur. The bird is not a statue and won't pose for you.
    2. You're using a TC. Most TCs degrade the image quality further.
    Quote Originally Posted by gundamseed84 View Post
    I might be wrong but the details of white area lost could be due to motion blur too. Just that the maybe in the first place the white feathers have 'soft' details in the first place so adding motion will just make it looked like a patch of white. Different from hard feathers whereby you can see the clear outlines of the feathers. Since the bird's body is shaking, most probably the white portion is in motion too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Try it without the TC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Green Discus
    Looks to me like Motion Blur, a higher shutter speed will solve this problem.

Yep. Thanks everyone... I think that is motion blur, now that I come to think about it. I will try using a higher shutter speed next time, but sometime the lighting don't allow me to do it as it will cause underexposure... I think I will invest in a flash extender next time so I can reach the desire shutter speed and still maintain my f/value plus could shoot in lower light environment.

Yep... I know TC will degrade my pic quality, but no choice, I need to have a further reach and I cannot afford a real 400mm at the moment.
    Last edited by rhino123; 22nd October 2010 at 03:36 PM.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    we've allowed for enough characters in the Thread Title box for you guys to put up a meaningful title for your threads ha ha ha

"What happen?" is a very vague thread topic ......... hope u dont mind.... I've inserted a little more info with a cut and paste of a part of your original question in your first post.
    Nope. I don't mind at all. Thanks a million. I am someone that always have problem trying to discribe things.
    My lousy shots