Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338434647484950 LastLast

Thread: D90 User Group (Thread IV)

Default Re: D90 User Group (Thread IV)

Quote Originally Posted by macaroni View Post
    Iphone will do if u got one. No need for extra purchases.
    it was just a joke

heck, don't even need iPhone... even the $30 no-contract phones have stopwatch built-in
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra
    no... m4/3 sensor is smaller, hence the crop factor compared with FX sensor.

Eg if you had 3 cameras (m4/3, DX, FX) side-by-side, and a 50mm lens on the FX camera, to get the same field of view you'd need a 33.33mm lens on the DX camera (1.5x crop factor) and a 25mm lens on the m4/3 camera (2x crop factor).

hope that helps
    Thank you ZCA.
    Now I get what u mean.

Hi, not sure if this the right place to ask. Been quite a while since i last touch my d90 due to work schedule.

Lately trying to take pictures of my wife n daughter together (side by side), a half body picture. End up is either one of the is clear n the other a bit blur. Of cos i want to have the background to be slightly blur too.

Which part should i focus to get both of them to be clear and sharp in the picture n the background blur? what auto focusing should i set to?

Just bought my D90 yesterday at SLR revolution . Very good camera indeed . With the strap on , the d90 is really a pain in the neck though ..

Are u using a prime lens and set aperture too low(1.8,2.2...)?
    What is the current f value?
    Bump it up and both should be in focus.
    Try focusing on the eye of the one nearest to you.
    Note that the further the background is from your subject, the better the background out-of-focus(bokeh) will be.
    Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Astroben
    Are u using a prime lens and set aperture too low(1.8,2.2...)?
    What is the current f value?
    Bump it up and both should be in focus.
    Try focusing on the eye of the one nearest to you.
    Note that the further the background is from your subject, the better the background out-of-focus(bokeh) will be.
    Hope it helps
    Hi, I believe u are answering to my query. Yes am using prime lens 50/f1.8. Looking back at my pictures yes the f value is quite low (no more than 2.8 ) Thanks for reminding.

So can I say that if is only one person I am taking the f value can be low?

Quote Originally Posted by dimm88 View Post
    Hi, I believe u are answering to my query. Yes am using prime lens 50/f1.8. Looking back at my pictures yes the f value is quite low (no more than 2.8 ) Thanks for reminding.

So can I say that if is only one person I am taking the f value can be low?
    Still u cant go too low IMHO.
    Eg if set at f/1.8 and u go too close to the face, u might notice that only the eyes are in focus and nose are blur(DOF too shallow). Unless that is the effect u want.
    I cant tell u what exact settings but i personally feel f/4 will be good for overall facial focus. Experiment by incremental settings and find what suits your expectations.

And one more thing from my own experience.
    If you set at f1.8 and u focus using spot metering at the eyes.
    Then you recompose the subject to one side offset to the frame(towards left or right). Chances are the movement will cause the focus on the eyes to be out due to shallow DOF.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroben

Still u cant go too low IMHO.
    Eg if set at f/1.8 and u go too close to the face, u might notice that only the eyes are in focus and nose are blur(DOF too shallow). Unless that is the effect u want.
    I cant tell u what exact settings but i personally feel f/4 will be good for overall facial focus. Experiment by incremental settings and find what suits your expectations.

And one more thing from my own experience.
    If you set at f1.8 and u focus using spot metering at the eyes.
    Then you recompose the subject to one side offset to the frame(towards left or right). Chances are the movement will cause the focus on the eyes to be out due to shallow DOF.
    Understand now. Thanks for your advise. Will try out.

Hi guys,

I hope my question doesn't sound too stupid:

Does a battery grip on D90 give better pictures?

For some reason, I thought the pictures look better ie. sharper, colours more punchy when I look at pictures with battery grip (different lens).

But I haven't been able to find my answer via google. It's not one of the advantages on the internet for a battery grip.

I'd hate the extra bulk and weight on my D90, but if it promises better pictures, I'll take it anytime.

hmmm..maybe minimized only the handshaking portion...

Quote Originally Posted by rains View Post
    Hi guys,

I hope my question doesn't sound too stupid:

Does a battery grip on D90 give better pictures?

For some reason, I thought the pictures look better ie. sharper, colours more punchy when I look at pictures with battery grip (different lens).

But I haven't been able to find my answer via google. It's not one of the advantages on the internet for a battery grip.

I'd hate the extra bulk and weight on my D90, but if it promises better pictures, I'll take it anytime.
    Nikon D90*Nikor18-105mmVRII * Nikor 35mm F1.8G * Nikkor 55-300mm * SB600 * T17-50mm F2.8 VC*

It could be you are more comfortable using grip thus minimising handshake and producing sharper pics

any D90 users using SB700?

for some of the heavier lenses, the battery grip gives your setup better balance (i.e if using say a 70-200, it will be front heavy so the grip adds weight to the cam body, thus distributing the balance better) thus making it more steady and reducing camera shake. as for colors being more punchy, no, the grip doesnt add to the IQ.
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Quote Originally Posted by Astroben View Post
    It could be you are more comfortable using grip thus minimising handshake and producing sharper pics
    i agree. we all have different tolerance for weight. so if you get the balance you need in your hand with the grip, then good for you.
    is using a digital camera that works ...

Quote Originally Posted by makolit View Post
    i agree. we all have different tolerance for weight. so if you get the balance you need in your hand with the grip, then good for you.
    to me.. its more for vertical shoot.. its much easier than you have to turn your hand the other way around.. quite tiring..
    Nikkon D90 | AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1:35-5.6G | DI866 External Flashlight | AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I don't have my camera with me now, but if I'm not mistaken, the shooting mode dial has a macro (flower) symbol. Doesn't seem to do anything
    i finally got the chance to try the "macro" mode on the D90!
    bl00dy hell - it doesn't work!

there's absolutely no difference in macro mode and when i manually focus the kit lens. and i still can't get that close enough shot that i want. in fact, i can get closer using the macro mode on my SE C902! granted, it's about 1/10 the size of the D90 ... but still, why put a macro mode when it doesn't help the magnification at all ...

now considering the Raynox DCR-250 ... is this sill available in SG?
    is using a digital camera that works ...

Quote Originally Posted by makolit View Post
    i finally got the chance to try the "macro" mode on the D90!
    bl00dy hell - it doesn't work!

there's absolutely no difference in macro mode and when i manually focus the kit lens. and i still can't get that close enough shot that i want. in fact, i can get closer using the macro mode on my SE C902! granted, it's about 1/10 the size of the D90 ... but still, why put a macro mode when it doesn't help the magnification at all ...

now considering the Raynox DCR-250 ... is this sill available in SG?
    probably it's to limit the camera settings to a smaller range that will be beneficial when shooting macro.
    Hehehe you'll need a macro lens for close-focusing on a DSLR

Raynox should still be available. What are you trying to photograph?
    Extension tubes are another option.
    Exploring! :)

Macro mode is only there as a pre-set settings on the CAM that would be optimum when you want to do macro. It will not override your LENS' minimum focusing distance. Think of it as the Night mode, camera will auto select your aperture and shutter speed plus set flash to rear slow to capture all the ambient light. But it will not override your kit lens' max aperture to become f1.8.
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    any D90 users using SB700?
    hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    hmm..
    if you have a question to ask, just ask it.

Nobody answer means nobody has. No need to 'hmmm' 'hmmmm'.... It doesn't achieve anything.