Thread: quest in photojournalism

Default quest in photojournalism

hi guys, am very interested in photojournalism. i don't really know where & how to start. how do i prepare for the shoot, and what should i shoot? can someone pls enlighten me? many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by denis
    hi guys, am very interested in photojournalism. i don't really know where & how to start. how do i prepare for the shoot, and what should i shoot? can someone pls enlighten me? many thanks
    hi denis,
    as a start, why not select a theme/story that you feel passionate about, then go shoot pictures to support the story that you wish to convey? don't worry too much about technicalities for now, just try to capture the essence of the story in your photos. suggestion: since tomorrow is vesak day, why not shoot a "vesak day in singapore" story?
    say, try to convey your story in just 12 photos.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

start shooting people??

While not out shooting read the book by Kenneth Kobre. It's basically a college-level photojournalism textbook.

The library also has the AP guide to photojournalism, which is also a good read.

can also check out the www.photojournalism.org website.

thanks alot!!

zaren, select a theme/story..

i don't really know what to shoot. maybe you can give some example? beside the vesak day. what i like is go isreal, afgan, places like this to shoot so i need some advise what can i shoot in here..many thanks.

and thanks for those guys who reply me!

thanks alot!!

zaren, select a theme/story..

i don't really know what to shoot. maybe you can give some example? beside the vesak day. what i like is go isreal, afgan, places like this to shoot so i need some advise what can i shoot in here..many thanks.

and thanks for those guys who reply me!
    as a starting point in photojournalism, no need to go so far away. you can shoot in singapore... perhaps you can do a photo-essay on "migrant workers in singapore"? their daily lives, perils of working, abuse, struggles, culture shock etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    as a starting point in photojournalism, no need to go so far away. you can shoot in singapore... perhaps you can do a photo-essay on "migrant workers in singapore"? their daily lives, perils of working, abuse, struggles, culture shock etc.
    yeah idea! ok, if i find e worker, like , construction side worker. how do i apporach them? taking their pics, of daily lives etc etc ... ?
    thanks

Denis, for a start, to be a photojournalist, you need to be more resourceful. Certain questions are essential to getting you started. For example, your question on what to shoot had Zaren providing you with the idea of shooting migrants in Singapore.

The next step for you is to go out there and depend on yourself how to approach them and by examining what kind of information will you want to convey in your photos. There are many ways to approaching people, and you can't possibly expect anyone to provide all that to you, right? What's the point of learning and experiencing when you expect to be spoonfeed.

So now, go grab your camera and shoot some pictures!

yeah idea! ok, if i find e worker, like , construction side worker. how do i apporach them? taking their pics, of daily lives etc etc ... ?
    thanks
    try getting to know some of them over a period of time. hang out at little india, mackenzie road carpark on sunday night etc. some can speak english, and can tell you about their lives and struggles. it's really up to you how to go about it... after all it's the learning/experimental process. once you gain their trust, the photos will come.