Thread: Hope/Despair

Smile Hope/Despair

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    composition in terms of cropping
    pp techniques

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    i want the viewer to feel the contrast between hope and despair, just like the contrast between light and dark. we wont know what is light without the presence of darkness and vice versa. so if we are going through tough times, we should embrace them in order to appreciate the good times in life better.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    i took this picture in a brightly lit room with normal exposure, then increased the contrast and saturation, decreased the brightness and exposure in pp to give the idea that it was taken in a dark environment.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    i think the composition is quite balanced. however i also think that different ways of cropping can bring out different perspectives which i am unsure of.

thanks in advance for c&c, please do not hold back or hesitate in your constructive criticisms!

Default Re: Hope/Despair

Looking at the photo alone, i could not understand the meaning. It also looked underexposed.
    But good attempt.

Default Re: Hope/Despair

This piece could be treated as an abstract piece of art. However, that said, if that is the direction you would like to take, that would be fine.

Photography is a lot about shapes, and its good you catch details like this. In less abstract of your works, when there's too many images, try squinting and visualizing the objects as shapes like these.... it helps and works wonders on composition.

That said, if you want suggestions on cropping techniques, I didn't like the fact there were 5 shapes in the picture and i prefer the 3 oval flames. Maybe you can crop so that the 3 flames are centred, nevermind the lamp on the right side is cropped in half. Another reason is that the current composition is a bit right-side-heavy. Cropping would balance it better.