Thread: What's the max print size for ISO 400 Neg. Film?

Default What's the max print size for ISO 400 Neg. Film?

Hi, guys

Normally, I use FujiFilm Superia 400(Neg.) so that I can get 'safe' shutter speed when I use slow-speed lens.

I am satisfied with the quality of the pictures in the size of 4R. But I want to know what's the max print size for nice quality without grains on the pictures?

Can anybody help me to figure it out?

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by exorcist
    Hi, guys

Normally, I use FujiFilm Superia 400(Neg.) so that I can get 'safe' shutter speed when I use slow-speed lens.

I am satisfied with the quality of the pictures in the size of 4R. But I want to know what's the max print size for nice quality without grains on the pictures?

Can anybody help me to figure it out?

Many thanks!
    I had blown up to 8 X 12 with no problems at all! It depends on lotsa factors too. The lens play a very important role when come to large enlargement with little loss of qualities.

Default :)

Quote Originally Posted by XXX Boy
    I had blown up to 8 X 12 with no problems at all! It depends on lotsa factors too. The lens play a very important role when come to large enlargement with little loss of qualities.
    Thank you man!

Now I guess I have to warry about that my Tamron 28-200xr could be good enough for taking a picture which is supposed to be enlarged as 8X12.

I've even seen Fuji Press 800 at 10x15, so 400 should not be a problem.

Regards
    CK

Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    I've even seen Fuji Press 800 at 10x15, so 400 should not be a problem.

Regards
    CK
    Thanks dude!

Now I am wondering whether my Tamron 28-200XR is qualified for the photo enlargement.

Depends on two factors: (1) lens quality (2) proper exposure, or, rating the film at the correct ISO.

I've rated Superia 400 at 320 and shot with my 50mm and 100mm lenses and have had some blown up to 10x15". They are excellent and detail is very good for a film of this speed. In fact, on one occasion when I was out of film, I used a friend's Kodak Max 400, re-rated it at 250 and have a wonderful 8x12 enlargement from that.

Last week, I got a 20x24" enlargement from Superia 200, sent in via Colour Lab to a CSI LightJet machine. I was really taken aback by the quality. Don't worry, films these days are capable of capturing excellent detail.

Does rating films below their ISO improve the quality (eg grain)? I have heard of pushing (but have not tried it) and pulling is still relatively uncommon....

Default :)

Quote Originally Posted by leadwe
    Does rating films below their ISO improve the quality (eg grain)? I have heard of pushing (but have not tried it) and pulling is still relatively uncommon....

Yes. Rating the ISO down to use the film can improve the grain, that is, a little bit overexposure essentially. Just like what Sriram did. But I think it only works for negtive films.

I am newbie and learned the tip yesterday from my friends, some senior photographers.

depends on the light condition when u take......for 400 fil... under bright light when blow up not so much grain.....but for those indoor without flash....i got some pretty grainy photos....juz use 200 la...hah..