Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

  1. #21

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Or you can try hyperfocal distance focusing. Once you are well versed in it. You can focus even without looking through the viewfinder.
    Oh, not only with focus but I also messed up many shots like including unwanted object because "too dark"

  2. #22

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by unknowger View Post
    Hi!

    I am thinking of buying the ND110 filter for my canon eos 7D. Just wonder is it compatible for my kit lens 18-135mm? Are there any other thing that I need to get, such as filter holder?? Or do I even need a ring adaptor?

    Any suggestion who could I buy it from? Planning to use it for landscape shooting.
    Im exploring the nd110 too. Also a newbie with these filters. I think its better to get the 77mm and buy step down ring 77mm to 67mm to fit your current lens. If in the future you acquire a 77mm, its still useable.

    Came across these 2 links which is among the easiest to understand so far on the use of nd filters.

    http://www.bwvision.com/photography-...osures-part-3/

    http://www.***********.com.sg/forums...r-Usage?p=1733

    Hope this helps.

  3. #23
    Member Clarenze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by azurebluee View Post
    Im exploring the nd110 too. Also a newbie with these filters. I think its better to get the 77mm and buy step down ring 77mm to 67mm to fit your current lens. If in the future you acquire a 77mm, its still useable.

    Came across these 2 links which is among the easiest to understand so far on the use of nd filters.

    http://www.bwvision.com/photography-...osures-part-3/

    http://www.***********.com.sg/forums...r-Usage?p=1733

    Hope this helps.
    Just to correct a little, so TS doesn't get confused. TS must get a step-up ring to step up from his 67mm kit lens to a 77mm ND filter. 77mm to 67mm step-down ring is if you have a 77mm diameter lens and you want to screw on a 67mm filter.
    Nikon D800 | N14-24mm | N50mm | GoPro HERO 3 | Clarenze Photography

  4. #24

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by Clarenze View Post
    Just to correct a little, so TS doesn't get confused. TS must get a step-up ring to step up from his 67mm kit lens to a 77mm ND filter. 77mm to 67mm step-down ring is if you have a 77mm diameter lens and you want to screw on a 67mm filter.
    Sorry, my bad. Should be step up from 67 to 77 ring instead.

  5. #25

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Thanks Azurebluee & Clarenze for clearin my doubts.. = )

  6. #26

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    hello TS

    u wan to try long exposure so that u get those dramtic cloud or water movement right? silky water right? then 10 stops is what most use...

    it is easy... before putting on the filter.. check the exposure reading.. and then set to manual mode and add 10 stops to the shutter speed.. use a remote cable if shutter speed > 30s else use your camera own timer... done!

    let's take one simple example...

    always use iso 100.

    so..

    iso 100, AV mode, and u meter the scene using whatever metering mode is needed. let's assume the most easily metering mode, the Evaluative.

    so, iso 100, AV, evaluate metering, and u set aperture to f8, and camera says 1s is needed. so u switch lens to manual focus and put on 10 stop filter.

    set to manual mode from AV and now u only change the shutter speed..

    shutter speed is 10 stops more , which is 1s x 2 x 2 x 2 (times 10 2 lah)...
    = 1024 seconds = 1024/60 = about 17 min



    remember, there is only one change, that is the shutter speed... u need 10 stops more shutter speed bcos ur 10 stop nd is reducing 10 stops of light... -10 + 10 =0..

    it's that easy..

  7. #27

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Hi All
    Talking about vignetting. If I have a 67mm lens and I step it up to 82mm ND filter. Will there be vignetting? I guess it will occur if I step down; say from a 77mm lens to a 67mm ND filter.

  8. #28

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hello TS

    u wan to try long exposure so that u get those dramtic cloud or water movement right? silky water right? then 10 stops is what most use...

    it is easy... before putting on the filter.. check the exposure reading.. and then set to manual mode and add 10 stops to the shutter speed.. use a remote cable if shutter speed > 30s else use your camera own timer... done!

    let's take one simple example...

    always use iso 100.

    so..

    iso 100, AV mode, and u meter the scene using whatever metering mode is needed. let's assume the most easily metering mode, the Evaluative.

    so, iso 100, AV, evaluate metering, and u set aperture to f8, and camera says 1s is needed. so u switch lens to manual focus and put on 10 stop filter.

    set to manual mode from AV and now u only change the shutter speed..

    shutter speed is 10 stops more , which is 1s x 2 x 2 x 2 (times 10 2 lah)...
    = 1024 seconds = 1024/60 = about 17 min



    remember, there is only one change, that is the shutter speed... u need 10 stops more shutter speed bcos ur 10 stop nd is reducing 10 stops of light... -10 + 10 =0..

    it's that easy..
    imho, theoretically it's correct but i had to add a few more stops when i use my ND filter for the pic to look similar in terms of exposure. might be cause i'm using low cost ones

  9. #29

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    imho, theoretically it's correct but i had to add a few more stops when i use my ND filter for the pic to look similar in terms of exposure. might be cause i'm using low cost ones
    haha no idea...

    i am using b+w nd110 10 stops...

    what low cost filter u using? 10 stop got low cost one meh? or u not using 10 stop ?

  10. #30

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Wah, 17min is very long man. What will you do during the 17min?

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    hello TS

    u wan to try long exposure so that u get those dramtic cloud or water movement right? silky water right? then 10 stops is what most use...

    it is easy... before putting on the filter.. check the exposure reading.. and then set to manual mode and add 10 stops to the shutter speed.. use a remote cable if shutter speed > 30s else use your camera own timer... done!

    let's take one simple example...

    always use iso 100.

    so..

    iso 100, AV mode, and u meter the scene using whatever metering mode is needed. let's assume the most easily metering mode, the Evaluative.

    so, iso 100, AV, evaluate metering, and u set aperture to f8, and camera says 1s is needed. so u switch lens to manual focus and put on 10 stop filter.

    set to manual mode from AV and now u only change the shutter speed..

    shutter speed is 10 stops more , which is 1s x 2 x 2 x 2 (times 10 2 lah)...
    = 1024 seconds = 1024/60 = about 17 min



    remember, there is only one change, that is the shutter speed... u need 10 stops more shutter speed bcos ur 10 stop nd is reducing 10 stops of light... -10 + 10 =0..

    it's that easy..
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  11. #31
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Wah, 17min is very long man. What will you do during the 17min?
    17 min is nothing when u start doing time lapse

  12. #32

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Wah, 17min is very long man. What will you do during the 17min?
    this is just an example brother...

    in example, we make things easy... 1 second is easier to calculate...

  13. #33

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    haha no idea...

    i am using b+w nd110 10 stops...

    what low cost filter u using? 10 stop got low cost one meh? or u not using 10 stop ?
    kekeke, i nvr say mine's 10 stops, no money for that. i'm just saying in general the theroy is correct but for my ND filter it's not the case

  14. #34

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    kekeke, i nvr say mine's 10 stops, no money for that. i'm just saying in general the theroy is correct but for my ND filter it's not the case
    actually not very ex leh... 130 plus can get liao.... but since i bought the clouds never move fast enough... sian!!!

    very depressing ... i prefer cloud drama more than water..

  15. #35
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post

    set to manual mode from AV and now u only change the shutter speed..

    shutter speed is 10 stops more , which is 1s x 2 x 2 x 2 (times 10 2 lah)...
    = 1024 seconds = 1024/60 = about 17 min
    Please note that ND110 is not exactly 10 stops. But just multiply your shutter speed by 1000 will do. Don't have to do 1024.

  16. #36
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by SnagIt View Post
    Hey. I'm using Nd400 and my impression is it's too dark to view through viewfinder. Screw out to compose and screw in the press shutter release is too troublesome (for me). Maybe you better off with less strong filter
    Yep... it is too dark thru the view finder... but when I use LiveView on my D300, it is ok
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  17. #37

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by sfoto100 View Post
    actually not very ex leh... 130 plus can get liao.... but since i bought the clouds never move fast enough... sian!!!

    very depressing ... i prefer cloud drama more than water..
    my ND filter $25 only

  18. #38
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by ahming111 View Post
    my ND filter $25 only
    what brand/make/model is your ND filter?

    for me, i'm not so much concerned whether it is a cheap or expensive ND filter. what i am concerned is the kind of color cast it gives on my pics. some ND filters give color cast that is difficult to correct.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  19. #39

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Please note that ND110 is not exactly 10 stops. But just multiply your shutter speed by 1000 will do. Don't have to do 1024.
    will try that!

    but where do u get this info?

  20. #40

    Default Re: ND Filter (landscape shooting)

    Quote Originally Posted by unknowger View Post
    Thanks folks!! Will research more on the filters and usage before I do my purchase... : )

    Lastly, can someone help me with this? When I'm usin ND4 in AV mode, image looks ok. But why would the image turns fully white when I switch it to Manual mode?
    You need to learn how to use your camera metering system. It's in your manual.
    Alpha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •