View Poll Results: What magazine would you like to shoot for?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • National Geographic

109 57.67%
  • Vogue

44 23.28%
  • Sports Illustrated

31 16.40%
  • Playboy

45 23.81%
  • Others

33 17.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which magazine would you like to shoot for?

The only asian photog shooting for NG is a japanese. You get the idea.

Nat Geo. Hands down. If it wasn't an issue of making a living, i will shoot for free! (but probably not good enough....but hey! dreams are free!)

Sports illustrated =)

Quote Originally Posted by CaeSiuM
    You forgot Chien Chi-Chiang (or something like it) - the Taiwanese dude who did the Chinatown story for NG

Still can't make up my mind if its National Geographic or the Victoria's Secret Catalogue.

Blog Entries

well, either asian photogs can't make the mark, or nat geo has yet to discover asian talent?

still, it would be my dream to even shoot one pic for them... and get published! haha... even if i have to do it pro bono!
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Off the shoulder of Orion, near the Tannhauser gate

Rodale's Scuba Diving, Asian Diver etc etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    You forgot Chien Chi-Chiang (or something like it) - the Taiwanese dude who did the Chinatown story for NG
    is that the magnum photog who shot a pic of the chinese immigrant eating noodles on the apartment stair platform high above the city streets?
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by CaeSiuM
    he had no professional training, did his best and had no regrets...

How about shooting for local mags and newspapers?
    sometimes i think the newspaper guys are too slow..
    for an example, we usually see the burnt buildings instead of some fire. its either the newpaper guys are too slow or our firemen are doing a really good job! = )
    haha...

how about coverage of war events?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by CupNoodle
    How about shooting for local mags and newspapers?
    sometimes i think the newspaper guys are too slow..
    for an example, we usually see the burnt buildings instead of some fire. its either the newpaper guys are too slow or our firemen are doing a really good job! = )
    haha...

how about coverage of war events?
    the reason they are slow is that there are not enough competition in the newspapers industry. besides, they are not willing to pay for story leads or picture leads. they offered a Samsung handphone as a prize and subject it to a draw. it is pathetic.

nat geog, sports illustrated, i-d, flaunt, fjords.

my dream is to work for newsweek....not so much on the photog part but more on the writing part ahha

Nah... I think we Asians just see photography differently from the Ang-mohs. Its just unfortunate that we have to follow their standards in order to get into publications like NG.

Its probably like comparing a Renaissance painting to a Chinese painting. The Westerners like their paintings better, of course, while we Easterners like ours better.

Maybe when we Asians finally have our own definition of what makes good photography, they'll then be the ones to *wish* they were shooting for Asian publications

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    well, either asian photogs can't make the mark, or nat geo has yet to discover asian talent?

Hmmm... but then again, photography is a western art form. It started with them so we really have some catching up to do...

Nah... I think we Asians just see photography differently from the Ang-mohs. Its just unfortunate that we have to follow their standards in order to get into publications like NG.

Its probably like comparing a Renaissance painting to a Chinese painting. The Westerners like their paintings better, of course, while we Easterners like ours better.

Maybe when we Asians finally have our own definition of what makes good photography, they'll then be the ones to *wish* they were shooting for Asian publications
    so is mike yamashita's photography western or asian?

Well he himself might be Asian, but he got into a western publication, didn't he?

For all we know, probably the only definition of "what makes good photography" is the western one. What is the eastern definition? Maybe there isn't any yet...

Well he himself might be Asian, but he got into a western publication, didn't he?

For all we know, probably the only definition of "what makes good photography" is the western one. What is the eastern definition? Maybe there isn't any yet...

i personally don't think there is an "asian" or "western" photography. as long as the photographer captures the essence of the culture, then the photograph is successful. e.g. jodi cobb (ang moh woman nat geo photog) has shot a fantastic series about the hidden life of the geisha in japan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast