Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

  1. #21
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Thumbs down Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    My Tamron 18-270mm is giving me all kinds of headaches on my D90. It will on and off cause a camera-lockup - "F--" (which to me is abbrev for "F--KED!") It is an issue with the electrical contacts. It appeared soon after I bought it. I brought it to servicing. And without much explanation or demo'ing the problem, the guy who took over my lens for servicing already know what is the problem - i.e., a problem that occurs often.

    After servicing, it worked well for a while... and now sliding back to square one I don't have time to bring it to Upper Changi Road North for repair yet... hope to do so before my one-year warranty runs out.

    Beware!

  2. #22
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,522

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    My Tamron 18-270mm is giving me all kinds of headaches on my D90. It will on and off cause a camera-lockup - "F--" (which to me is abbrev for "F--KED!") It is an issue with the electrical contacts. It appeared soon after I bought it. I brought it to servicing. And without much explanation or demo'ing the problem, the guy who took over my lens for servicing already know what is the problem - i.e., a problem that occurs often.

    After servicing, it worked well for a while... and now sliding back to square one I don't have time to bring it to Upper Changi Road North for repair yet... hope to do so before my one-year warranty runs out.

    Beware!
    Will they not replace a defective lens? After the 1 year warranty, your lens becomes worthless. Did they explain what the problem was?

  3. #23
    Member Radiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    239

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    It's true that you usually shoot at 1/focal or faster to prevent camera shake but this is for normal lenses without IS. For lenses with IS, VR, VC or other variations, they can actually shoot slower than that and still achieve sharpness, that's why you pay more for IS lenses anyway
    All things being equal (IS,VR,OS,VC), at f5.6 vs f6.3, you still get better shutter speed which is important at the tele end. Not that I want to start a discussion of IS vs VC, but my opinion that VC jerks too much for my liking when it compensate for movement.
    Canon User

  4. #24
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by raydio View Post
    Will they not replace a defective lens? After the 1 year warranty, your lens becomes worthless. Did they explain what the problem was?
    Just checked... local warranty is 3 years... whew!

    Yes, the guy says "contact issue"... apparently, pretty common for at least this Tamron on Nikon. Reported elsewhere on the web also.

    Absolutely no such issue with all my other lenses including Nikon and a Tokina.

    I'm going to push my luck to ask for a full replacement.

  5. #25
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Just checked... local warranty is 3 years... whew!

    Yes, the guy says "contact issue"... apparently, pretty common for at least this Tamron on Nikon. Reported elsewhere on the web also.

    Absolutely no such issue with all my other lenses including Nikon and a Tokina.

    I'm going to push my luck to ask for a full replacement.
    But I also want to say that other than this very frustrating mechanical issue, I love the lens for it portability and optics. VC (when it works - again, sometimes it doesn't fire, probably due to the same contact issue) seems to me better than even Nikon's VR. And the photographs are optically very nice - as good as (at least the cheaper) Nikon originals. (Can't say much about the pro range of coz - not that league.)

  6. #26
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by raydio View Post
    Will they not replace a defective lens?
    I brought it in today. I ask if they can replace it... And got the "are you retarded or wat?" stare... Anyway, let's see how it goes this time with the repairs.

  7. #27
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,522

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I brought it in today. I ask if they can replace it... And got the "are you retarded or wat?" stare... Anyway, let's see how it goes this time with the repairs.
    Its unfortunate that they would not replace it. If your lens is habitually in the shop due to their lack of quality you may want to write or call someone at the head office to see what can be done. You shouldn't have to go through all this pain.

    Good luck with your current repairs... hopefully this will be the last time you have to deal with this issue.

  8. #28
    Senior Member UncleFai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,429

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Had lunch with a friend and we chatted about cameras... it turns out he too had the same issue with the Tammy on his wife's Nikon D90. He also sent it in for repairs but in his case, it seems after the repairs all was well (so far).

    Potential buyers do take note.

  9. #29
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,522

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Had lunch with a friend and we chatted about cameras... it turns out he too had the same issue with the Tammy on his wife's Nikon D90. He also sent it in for repairs but in his case, it seems after the repairs all was well (so far).

    Potential buyers do take note.
    I wonder if this is an issue with Nikon cameras? Both cases mentioned so far have been with Nikon cameras.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Eastern Part of Singapore
    Posts
    513

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by SamTac View Post
    Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

    The above lens should come with HSM for Sigma 18mm-250mm & is around $960.

    I bought Sigma after reading many reviews
    Hey Samtac, can you share some experience with us on your usage of the sigma 18-250mm? Hows the IQ, the zoom, the focusing sound etc etc...thanks.
    Current: 550D + EFS 18-135mm IS + EF 50mm f1.8 II

  11. #31
    Member mysimba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jln Kayu
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    The Tamron tends to sometimes unable to focus on my D300s,thus have to remove and reattached to get it focus....

    The zoom ring tends to be a little stiff in the middle zoom range....

    Lens creep when the zoom is not locked.....

    VC vise abit jerky....
    *Simba* loves D700 + 24-70

  12. #32
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,522

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by mysimba View Post
    The Tamron tends to sometimes unable to focus on my D300s,thus have to remove and reattached to get it focus....

    The zoom ring tends to be a little stiff in the middle zoom range....

    Lens creep when the zoom is not locked.....

    VC vise abit jerky....
    I have the same experience with my Tamron on a Canon camera except for the first issue of not being able to focus. I've never had problems with focusing.

    The stiffness of the zoom ring in the middle is a known characteristic of this lens and is normal. Some people suggest that this stiffness may lessen over time.

    Lens creep is a big issue, so I try to keep it locked at all times when not taking photos.

    The jerkiness of the VC, I was told is very normal. Fortunately it does not happen often. But IMO, the VC is as good if not better than IS on Canon cameras.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Eastern Part of Singapore
    Posts
    513

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by mysimba View Post
    The Tamron tends to sometimes unable to focus on my D300s,thus have to remove and reattached to get it focus....

    The zoom ring tends to be a little stiff in the middle zoom range....

    Lens creep when the zoom is not locked.....

    VC vise abit jerky....
    Bro mysimba, it seems that you have found quite a few problem or should i say points to take note for this Tamron 18-270mm lens, but what i want to know is that amidst all this points, are you happy with this lens that you have? Happy with the zoom, the IQ and the VC etc?
    Current: 550D + EFS 18-135mm IS + EF 50mm f1.8 II

  14. #34

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Hi all bros,
    am not trying to gloat over Tamron lens owners here for the many unhappy usages.

    I am very thankful for the many comments shared and had helped made my choice on Canon 18mm-200mm IS.
    So far I am very happy using it and well its probably I do not have the chance to compare with other brands and might not realise i could be happier with them.

    Well, i am just back from a cold country, i realise some condensation on the exterior of the lens when i left my camera next to the cold window over night on one occasion.

    I do not own a dry box yet and i do know that this is essential to keep my camera and lens intact for longer period.

    But before i do, is there a need for my camera to do a 'suntan' to expel any trapped moisture?


  15. #35
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,522

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by naeshot View Post
    Hi all bros,
    am not trying to gloat over Tamron lens owners here for the many unhappy usages.

    I am very thankful for the many comments shared and had helped made my choice on Canon 18mm-200mm IS.
    So far I am very happy using it and well its probably I do not have the chance to compare with other brands and might not realise i could be happier with them.

    Well, i am just back from a cold country, i realise some condensation on the exterior of the lens when i left my camera next to the cold window over night on one occasion.

    I do not own a dry box yet and i do know that this is essential to keep my camera and lens intact for longer period.

    But before i do, is there a need for my camera to do a 'suntan' to expel any trapped moisture?

    I am running into this problem too. I just did a shoot last night in 4 degree weather!

    Anyway, there is no need to do anything special to your lens. When you notice moisture on your lens, be aware that the moisture is likely present in your camera also. All you have to do when you go from a warm environment to a cold one (or vica versa) is be patient until all the moisture is gone. Do not use or turn on your camera until this happens or you may short something inside of your camera. In other words, wait until your camera/lens is "acclimatised" to its new environment. When the moisture is visibly gone, then it is safe to turn on your camera.

    The same thing to me when I bought a Canon 5D from an air conditioned shop in Singapore in August. When I brought it out, I began to use it right away, but the lens (and mirror) inside the camera was foggy from moisture (cold to hot/humid environment). It took about 5 minutes for the moisture to dissipate completely. This is normal.

    Some people in cold countries will place their cameras in a sealed plastic bag (like a zip-lock) so that moisture build up is prevented. When the camera "acclimatises" to its new environment (hot or cold), then the camera can be taken out from its bag and used normally.

    BTW: a dry cabinet is a necessity in Singapore. My advice is to get one as soon as possible. Better safe than sorry.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Thanks bro for the kind advice.
    Any idea where to get one of reasonable price in Singapore?
    Or maybe you think i can try my luck in the selling forum.
    Is the dry cabinet easily spoilt? worth the try?


  17. #37
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,522

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by naeshot View Post
    Thanks bro for the kind advice.
    Any idea where to get one of reasonable price in Singapore?
    Or maybe you think i can try my luck in the selling forum.
    Is the dry cabinet easily spoilt? worth the try?

    I got my dry cabinet from John 3:16 at a decent price. They will appear from time to time in the BnS but the ones for sale are usually quite small (dry box vs. dry cabinet). But its worth a try.

    I was warned that a dry cabinet can be easily spoilt if it is not carefully moved after it is initially started. So if you move from flat to flat be sure to handle your dry cabinet very, very carefully. They are as fragile as refrigerators. Also, keep them away from direct sunlight.

    Good luck with finding one!

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Eastern Part of Singapore
    Posts
    513

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Anyone else have more things to share on either lens?
    Current: 550D + EFS 18-135mm IS + EF 50mm f1.8 II

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •