Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

  1. #1

    Smile Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Hi bros out there,

    I am getting a new walk about lens to replace my kit lens.
    I have identified my requirement and decided on these 2 commonly used lens below:

    Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS
    Tamron AF18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro Lens

    Can anyone advise me which is a better lens in terms of sharpness and faster AF
    I was told the lens for Tamron is made in China, can anyone owner verify this?
    Most importantly is the lens reliability, not too sure for lens from China thou.

    Please advice, thank you!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Ooh ya, by the way I am using 500D.
    not too sure if my camera will determine the correct lens selection.
    Please advice, Thank you!

  3. #3
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,520

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by naeshot View Post
    Ooh ya, by the way I am using 500D.
    not too sure if my camera will determine the correct lens selection.
    Please advice, Thank you!
    Your camera will accommodate both lens... Sigma and Tamron.

    From this point, I can only speak for the Tamron lens as I have owned this remarkable lens for about 18 months. I know from doing my initial research that both lens are very good but I settled on the Tamron because of its greater focal length.

    I bought the lens while in Hong Kong. I don't know if it was made in China but for me that is not a concern because the quality is obvious. I've taken the lens to Tokyo, Toronto, Ottawa, Washington, New York, Switzerland, Frankfurt and many other places around the world and never once had a problem. I use this lens specifically as a travel lens because of its convenience (I don't have to take any other lens). When I'm home, I put it away and I use my Canon lens.

    Here is are the pros and cons of the Tamron 18-270 lens from my perspective:
    Pros:
    1. Amazing (15x) zoom ratio
    2. Good colours
    3. Nice contrast
    4. VC (Vibration control) is a good as any modern Canon lens (about 4 stops)
    5. Sharp lens over-all but sharper in the middle focal lengths and particularly at f/8
    6. When traveling, this is often the only lens I'll bring with me. Very convenient.

    Cons:
    1. The zoom ring tends to be a little sticky in the middle zoom range (I think at around 100mm) but not a serious issue
    2. The VC will sometimes jerk when initiated. When I first saw this, I was concerned that it was a problem with my lens but I've been told that this (feature) is perfectly normal.
    3. A bit of lens creep when the zoom is not locked (it can only be locked at 18mm).
    4. The lens is sharp over-all, but if you are a pixel peeper, sharpness tends to degrade at the extreme ends of the zoom range. Canon lens are generally better but not significantly better.

    There is a huge thread on this lens on the front page of ClubSnap along with several sample photos. You'll see a link to it on the left side.

    Good luck with your choice.
    Last edited by raydio; 2nd October 2010 at 06:05 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Thanks raydio for the detail comments.
    Do you have any photos which you had proudly attributed from Tamron lens ?

    Is there any Sigma user who can help to comment on the Sigma's edges?
    Thank you.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    If you do a search you can find this:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465404

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    It's just a hunch, but I doubt there are many Sigma 18-250mm users in this forum. You're probably better off reading reviews.

  7. #7
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,520

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by naeshot View Post
    Thanks raydio for the detail comments.
    Do you have any photos which you had proudly attributed from Tamron lens ?

    Is there any Sigma user who can help to comment on the Sigma's edges?
    Thank you.
    Here's one I took in Hong Kong shortly after I bought the lens. I was testing it by taking a series of street trams in Wanchai. Nothing special, but it gives you an idea of sharpness, contrast and colour saturation.


  8. #8

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Alrite, thanks guys...
    especially raydio for the sharing effort.
    Think I am directed in a certain decision now.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    It's just a hunch, but I doubt there are many Sigma 18-250mm users in this forum. You're probably better off reading reviews.

    Hey am a Sigma User basically this is my primary lens on my canon really love the range it gives and I pretty much love the sharpnes (except for fast action shots of course) Just a thread I started today which sunset was taken on the bum boat, not really THAT sharp as it was shaking like mad and I was lazy to set up my tripod and all on the bum boat but hope it does justice http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773055
    Last edited by JVlarcus; 4th October 2010 at 12:40 AM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Eastern Part of Singapore
    Posts
    513

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by JVlarcus View Post
    Hey am a Sigma User basically this is my primary lens on my canon really love the range it gives and I pretty much love the sharpnes (except for fast action shots of course) Just a thread I started today which sunset was taken on the bum boat, not really THAT sharp as it was shaking like mad and I was lazy to set up my tripod and all on the bum boat but hope it does justice http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773055
    Hey Marcus, can you share with us how much you bought the sigma 18 - 250mm and whether you are happy with the IQ and sharpness and weight etc. Overall view of it as a walkabout general-do-it-all lens.
    Current: 550D + EFS 18-135mm IS + EF 50mm f1.8 II

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by galmen View Post
    Hey Marcus, can you share with us how much you bought the sigma 18 - 250mm and whether you are happy with the IQ and sharpness and weight etc. Overall view of it as a walkabout general-do-it-all lens.
    Hey I got mine while I was in thailand, around 600+ at pantip plaza, bargained like mad haha. Overall am very happy with the IQ and sharpness, it's my all-in-one lens which I carry around, and the primary lens on my body hope this helps

  12. #12

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    IQ ? herad this term, what does it mean in photgraphy language?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by naeshot View Post
    IQ ? herad this term, what does it mean in photgraphy language?
    Image quality

  14. #14
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,520

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by naeshot View Post
    IQ ? herad this term, what does it mean in photgraphy language?
    IQ stands for Image Quality and includes attributes like; sharpness, colour rendition, contrast and colour saturation. There are many other qualities that also contribute to IQ... white balance, brokeh (background blur), colour temperature, etc.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm


  16. #16
    Senior Member raydio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,520

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by CamInit View Post
    Really nice comparison in a very practical way! Even though the author declared a slight over-all preference to the Canon 18-200, all of the lens tested had their own strengths and weaknesses.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    OMG ! The link is so cool.
    The comparison data are simply awesome!

    Thanks!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

    The above lens should come with HSM for Sigma 18mm-250mm & is around $960.

    I bought Sigma after reading many reviews

  19. #19
    Member Radiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    239

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    like to suggest Canon 18-200mm if you are canon user. there is a fantastic thread by Anson on this lens. One key consideration is the canon is f5.6 at the tele end. It makes a big difference as this means u can use faster shutter speed at tele end. Generally shutter speed is 1/focal length. So at 200mm, u need at least 1/200 shutter speed. if u max out on aperture, u will then need to increase your ISO. It will be more challenging using a f6.3 lens in cloudy or bad lighting conditions. my 2 cents worth.
    Canon User

  20. #20

    Default Re: Lens comparison between Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron AF 18-270mm

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiant View Post
    like to suggest Canon 18-200mm if you are canon user. there is a fantastic thread by Anson on this lens. One key consideration is the canon is f5.6 at the tele end. It makes a big difference as this means u can use faster shutter speed at tele end. Generally shutter speed is 1/focal length. So at 200mm, u need at least 1/200 shutter speed. if u max out on aperture, u will then need to increase your ISO. It will be more challenging using a f6.3 lens in cloudy or bad lighting conditions. my 2 cents worth.
    It's true that you usually shoot at 1/focal or faster to prevent camera shake but this is for normal lenses without IS. For lenses with IS, VR, VC or other variations, they can actually shoot slower than that and still achieve sharpness, that's why you pay more for IS lenses anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •