Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: is D5000 + SB-600 suitable for Wedding shoot?

Default Re: is D5000 + SB-600 suitable for Wedding shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by cdxing View Post
    OMG... When asked y is D5k not enough for wedding, so many posts just can't give details as in It's slow in focusing, low light problem, etc... Only the previous few post just mentioned after so many "D5k not gd enough" posts.

I mean if u can't say the pros n cons in details, den dun simply reply this thread for the sake. In the end, u didn't ans this thread question so I've to re-ask same question again. I didn't ask ppl here to spoon feed me, moreover those who said so didn't even ans my question, how to say they are spoon feeding me? Lol
    there have been answers right from the start only if you read hard enough.

ADvice:
    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    no matter what camera you use, backup gears is important....

I remember long long time ago a photographer posted a thread here, said he charge very cheap for shooting wedding is becos he just started, and he don't have backup gears, so if wedding couple don't mind pay a little extra, he will find and bring backup gears.

so if what really suay suay something happen to his camera in the midst of the wedding shoot, can he tell the wedding couple "sorry camera spoiled liao, I didn't bring backup since you didn't top up, not nice for me to go home now, can I double up as your brother or jia mei?"
    Advice/must-dos:
    Quote Originally Posted by weegk View Post
    My suggestion to you is . . .
    1. Go thru the wedding shots posted in CS and research on the net and see how you can 'reproduce' the shots with your current equipment set up.

2. 'Backup' body is a MUST to me. Wedding is a 'Once in a Lifetime' and we cannot repeat the whole procedure again . . . the feeling, the mood, the people etc will be different. Not like portraiture which we can reshoot. There is no reshoot here.

Another body is not a backup only for you to tag in your bag but rather to fix with another lens for you to shoot faster . . . zoom to wide etc etc

you don't have time to waste in changing lens. Of course if anything goes wrong with any body, then you will have to work with one only . . . anything happen with electronics stuff. Agreed ?

3. Get another friend/photographer to help out. (now $$ again)
    By now you should also note that charging 'cheap' will have its constraint, our gears are not cheap (it depreciate thru time), our time are not cheap, etc etc. I just want you to know that we need to charge reasonable which are acceptable on both sides to deliver the end product. (i have milk and diapers to buy even if i don't feed myself so 'I MUST DELIVER' ). Any printings ? post processing time ? Transport ?

4. know the custom and the 'must' have shots; eg family shots at each sides, the gown hanging on the wall etc etc

5. Most importantly, know which mode and setting you will be using . . . no time for you to test on the spot and ask the couple and people to wait for you.

Everyone here is very concern that at this moment of time you are asking whether your gear is good enough cos shooting wedding is not 'play play' and 'try try'. The couple only have ONE chance and no replay. Hope you understand where we are coming from too. It is for both you to learn and the couple who will be receiving your end product.

6. When i first started, i imagine a couple in front for me to shoot and i go thru the 'ceremony'. (sorry folks, that was long time ago.) From my home, to the carpark, to the church . . . . bottom line is to DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

7. Everyone has their first time, just need to prepare well and believe in yourself. And for wedding, you have NO CHOICE but to deliver it well. It is 101% mistake free.

Lastly, shoot more cos digital is FREE . . . enjoy your virgin shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by siahweiian View Post
    i have use it for AD wedding shoot as a second shooter. My first try. My set is D5k, 18-55mm and SB 900. For morning shoot is ok. But like candid shoot is not too good as the cam is not fast enought. Dinner shoot is no no. No too good in low light shooting. may of the lens i use.
    As compare to higher grade cam. D5k is not really that fast cam.In AD wedding shoot,you must be quick. Can't miss those magic moment. You cannot ask them,can you please do that again as i miss the shoot.

Sometime you like to change setting. D5k dun have those short cut. Not like D300s or D90,not to say even higher end gear.

For Fun shoot, taking your own time to shoot. Ya.. D5k is enough.

Hope this help a bit.

Is it really worth that agony?
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

Quote Originally Posted by kriegsketten View Post
    NOT everything can be listed down in full detail, simple as that. That is why some of the guys here are sharing their experiences - that should make up for what can't be exactly listed down. One thing for sure, at least two or 3 guys here have wedding shoot experiences, and I'll take their advices for what it is worth.
    Ok guys...take one step back. I stand up to give my answer. No more blah blah blah.

Now the answer:
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post
    Ok guys...take one step back. I stand up to give my answer. No more blah blah blah.

Now the answer:
    TS is right, we should just STFU.... let him wait for some kind soul to give him the exact breakdown of details of why D5K can or cannot make it... We simply aren't the helpful type...
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 2nd October 2010 at 11:03 AM.

we are too helpful till we sidetrack . . .
    Shot more cos digital is FREE !!!

Hi TS, your setup is enuff. Since u be shooting a wedding, there will be many many more other unofficial photographer shooting the same wedding. In that case, after the wedding, pls confiscate all the unofficial pg sdcard and cf card. U will have more shots than u would imagine. Simple rite???

Just kidding. Anyway, your setup is suitable but it is not enuff. If you are going to be the main pg, gd luck to you. Not every shot that we take is gonna be a hit.

TS is right, we should just STFU.... let him wait for some kind soul to give him the exact breakdown of details of why D5K can or cannot make it... We simply aren't the helpful type...
    hahahha, you guys are bad bad boy.... TS, bros here have give loads of answers to ya question

just say yes and let him shoot the wedding, overall the end result he has to bear whether its good or bad it is in his hand....

TS, if u think ya D5k plus ya skills is good enough, just replace the kit lens with the 17-55 2.8...
    some prime... off u go, shoot the wedding...

than come here tell us what ya client say....
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

In my opinion, most of the recent cameras all can deliver results.
    D5000 is a very capable camera. It has the same specs as D90, just lacking a few handling features found in D90.
    If you are able to master the camera in your hand and use it well, using D5000 is more than enough.

Some mentioned that it can't perform in poor light. I think it is becos the skill of the photographer is not up to mark, or you are not using a good lens. The kit lens is certainly not enough for wedding due to its aperture, but the D5000 is certainly enough.

My ans to TS is the camera is worthy enough for a wedding shoot. What TS lacks is a back up plan, a few fast lens, a preparation plan of what to shoot, and most importantly, the skills to handle your D5000 well enough.

If you give a pro an amateur camera, I am sure they are capable of shooting much better than an amateur with a pro camera.

Quote Originally Posted by clydez View Post
    If you give a pro an amateur camera, I am sure they are capable of shooting much better than an amateur with a pro camera.
    The thing you need to ask is, if you give the pro a choice either a D3S or a D5K for a REALLLY important shoot, something that will make or break his/her reputation for life. Which do you think would the photog stake his/her life on?
    Last edited by kriegsketten; 2nd October 2010 at 11:18 AM.

Is it really worth that agony?
    haha . . . i believe my posts will help many OTHER Newbies in Wedding Photos . . . too bad under this thread.

To me, PnS is sufficient enough too. It is the MAN behind the camera.
    Last edited by weegk; 2nd October 2010 at 11:18 AM.

haha . . . i believe my posts will help many OTHER Newbies in Wedding Photos . . . too bad under this thread.

To me, PnS is sufficient enough too. It is the MAN behind the camera.
    That's too excessive already... let me lend you my 2mp camera phone...

u crack me up.... hahahahahahahah... 2mp.....
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

The thing you need to ask is, if you give the pro a choice either a D3S or a D5K for a REALLLY important shoot, something that will make or break his/her reputation for life. Which do you think would the photog stake his/her life on?
    My point is Skills Over Equipment.
    If given a REALLY important shoot, a D3s will give him/her the assurance that less things will go wrong. A D5000 only means he/her will have to rely less on camera's capabilities but more on his/her own skills.

Quote Originally Posted by akerue View Post
    u crack me up.... hahahahahahahah... 2mp.....
    Bro, take the phone lahh...he giving u leh.. not asking u to take pic!! free phone, can trade get a new one!!

Quote Originally Posted by clydez View Post
    My point is Skills Over Equipment.
    If given a REALLY important shoot, a D3s will give him/her the assurance that less things will go wrong. A D5000 only means he/her will have to rely less on camera's capabilities but more on his/her own skills.
    Equipment would be useful if there is not sufficient light.

Just use the iphone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy7xY

im personally using the d5000. i find that its the equivalent of a d90 in terms of Image quality.
    ive compared my shots with my friend's d90. d90 = semi pro camera.

so you do know that the d5000 is somewhat of a beginner to semi pro camera.

But for a wedding, i'd rather you build up your skills first, and then to shoot with whatever dslr you're using...bearing in mind the angle + lighting(indoors/outdoors) + shutter speed you need to use...
    Last edited by Raptor2k7; 2nd October 2010 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZamZam View Post
    Bro, take the phone lahh...he giving u leh.. not asking u to take pic!! free phone, can trade get a new one!!
    Hmmm...i can consider taking his phone...

D5000 is capable of taking wedding photos. No issue. But get another for backup camera... as what TS is thinking and bros here have suggested too . . .

A D300 and 17-55mm to go along will be great.

Thank you guys, I luv u all... LOL

haiya u all ar, enough of skills over equipment, equipment over skills,

have u guys ever wondered what TS approach to the wedding shoot like...??

theme concept end result, couple ideas of how the album would be,
    LORD of THe NoObs
    FLICKR

Actually it doesn't matter what camera you use or what you bring as long as your clients are happy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast