Thread: Need advise for filters and equipments

Default Need advise for filters and equipments

Hi guys, I will like to hear from your advise:

I am a happy owner of Canon 550D + Tamron 17-50mm f2.8VC.
    Below are my current equipments:
    1) Canon 550D
    2) Tamron 17-50mm f2.8VC
    3) canon 18-135mm
    4) canon 50mm f1.8
    5) Sirui Tripod T2204x
    6) Cokin P-series filter holder
    7) TianYa GND

I am quite new to photography as i had only purchase my camera somewhere in July.
    Till date, most of the photos taken were scenic and landscape during holiday(building and beaches). Occasional outing shot of spouse during family outing. Kindly be patient with me,

Landscape & Scenic:
    Filter Qns:
    1) Is there really a need for CPL? If so which is prefer, Circular or square slot in type?
    2) Is TianYa ND filter of ND 4 and ND 8 good enough as a start out?

Lens Qns:
    Wide angle Lens
    1) Is Wide angle len a prefer choice over current 17-50mm + stitching in photoshop?
    2) Does stitching has any shortcoming? (no problem till date)

Telephoto Lens
    1) How often does anyone uses telephone lens, during the above mention events or travel? Cropping had been greatly utilised due to the short reach of kit lens 18-135mm.

2) looking at 70-200mm f4IS and sigma 70-300mm macro = quality vs value for money. Does anyone has any experience on the above mention lens?

To summarize, I am considering between which items mention has the highest priority for mainly outdoor usage.

Wide angle len, telephoto lens, filter(ND / CPL) and Flash.

Will appreciate if some kind soul will be able to advise, as I will be traveling to Hong kong again soon. Hence, will like to take this opportunity to purchase the require items.
    Canon

Default Re: Need advise for filters and equipments

Landscape & Scenic:
    Filter Qns:
    1) Is there really a need for CPL? If so which is prefer, Circular or square slot in type?
    Most people use the screw in type polariser instead of the less commonly found sproket mounted slot in type ( if that is what u r referring to ) The later can potentially vignette bad since it is on ur Cokin holder. For screw in variant, u can use step down rings to fit your other lenses with varying threads short of buying different size CPl.

Is there a real need ? No. I love shooting lanscapes as well, but i hardly use polarisers to deepen the blue skies. Occassionally i use them for reducing reflections. Again there will be folks who finds CPl indispensable in their own ways, no wrong no right. But sometimes experiencing it yourself is often the best lesson

2) Is TianYa ND filter of ND 4 and ND 8 good enough as a start out?

Good economical filters to try

Lens Qns:
    Wide angle Lens
    1) Is Wide angle len a prefer choice over current 17-50mm + stitching in photoshop?

A single shot can capture and create less issues with stitching multiple shots especially if the scene has dynamic elements. Having said that, i love stitching panoramas Much wider lenses also produces other distortions that can be utilised to ur shooing advantage (or you may hate it)

2) Does stitching has any shortcoming? (no problem till date)

U must make sure each frame is taken in same exact setting, and the scene preferrably is static. If alot of people running around or moving trees / waves etc, the stitching will have lots of wierd halflings etc - stitching softwares such as photoshop for instance have their own smart workarounds that avoids incongruities but it is by far not perfect. For even stricter stitching, some folks try to rotate about a nodal point, i used to try that with nodal pano setups then i gave up because too tedious. For the stitching with usual variety lenses, no polarisers should be fixed to each lens else the skies may be too uneven. ( unless u r using a shift lens, then polariser is ok in a sense since same image circle)

Telephoto Lens
    1) How often does anyone uses telephone lens, during the above mention events or travel? Cropping had been greatly utilised due to the short reach of kit lens 18-135mm.

Different people shoot differently. I tend to not use anything more than 85mm for usual walk around shooting, ur mileage might differ. Of course also heavily dependent on what you are shooting

2) looking at 70-200mm f4IS and sigma 70-300mm macro = quality vs value for money. Does anyone has any experience on the above mention lens?

Cannot help on this
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 2nd October 2010 at 10:15 AM.

Default Re: Need advise for filters and equipments

Thks alot giantcanopy!!
    For screw on cpl, which will u recommend to begin with?
    As for stitching, I am using cs5. I love the pano pics effect
    Looking for a telephoto to compliment the short reach of 17-50 but can't find a valid reason to purchase.
    Canon