31 18.90%
  • Optical cloth only

66 40.24%
  • Optical cloth with cleaning liquid

20 12.20%
  • Lens pens

29 17.68%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you use to clean your lens/filters?

Default Re: What do you use to clean your lens/filters?

Cannot use soap & water? Last time i use soap & water & dry with lens tissue for a Hoya Super HMC Pro1 tat was on my Pentax lens.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Huff and puff to blow off dirt.

Smudges..usu use spectacle cloth to rub and rub.

Actually I think many of the users are unaware that sometimes dry cleaning is just not sufficient. Why I said so?

Firstly, if you have never laid a finger accidentally on your lens, then a blower and brush is more than enough (unless your lenses are exposed to extreme humidity to make it too sticky)

BUT, accidents do happened and fingerprint smudge may be left on the lens. I did an experiment to see how effective is the various cleaning methods. Using my pretty new glasses (Went for lasik recently so have no use for it anymore), I attempted to "dirty" the lens with the following:

1. Finger prints from clean finger
    2. Oily fingers after touching my oily face and hair
    3. Dirty fingers after digging nose (Dun laugh, many of us dig our nose outside at times)

Using various methods:

1. Blower
    2. Lenspen
    3. Microfibre cloth (Dry)
    4. Microfibre cloth (wet with isopropyl)
    5. Pre-soaked lens tissue with isopropyl (individually packed kind)
    6. Lens tissue (Dry)
    7. Lens tissue wet with isopropyl
    8. Puff with breath and dry microfibre

After each cleaning methods, I will check the glass against the light to see how much it has been cleansed.

My observations:
    Often, dry cleaning is just NOT enough to clean your lens. Unfortunately, products like Lenspen will not effectively remove your slimy residue on the lens. I find lens tissue to be quite rough (especially when dry) and they do not clean that well.

If you have oily prints and slimy stuff like nose **** residue etc, dry cleaning with dry microfibre cloth only spread them around, remove some but not all. Wet cleaning with microfibre still the only way to remove all slimy sticky residue (just like you need water and soap in order to effectively clean your hand after holding chocolate).

My cleaning strategy now:
    1. Minimise cleaning effort - careful when holding lenses.
    2. Blower and brush more than enough if my fingers never touch the glass at all.
    3. Avoid cleaning efforts when out field becos you tend to panic and do a rough and quick job which may make things worse.
    4. Use filters instead to make cleaning less of a worry (However, I believe cheap filters degrade performance so good filters are recommended).
    5. Dun lend your lens to your friends (haha)

My next experiment:
    I have an old microscope that I am hoping to clean up, modify and then examine if glasses can be scratched using the above cleaning methods. Since I have only used 1 lens in my previous experiment, still have 1 perfectly pretty new lens to try. Firstly will see if the multi coating on my glasses can be scratched (not too sure if I can check for scratches on the glass itself though).

Anyone who is interested in the results of my next experiment can PM me so that I will send my feedbacks after my "Scratch" experiment.
    Last edited by burmesterhifi; 2nd March 2006 at 06:46 PM.

Where to get this 'isopropyl'? It's in a bottle?
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

Some lens cleaning kit come with it. Cathay Photo has one lens cleaning kit by Kinetronics (cloth and small bottle of isopropyl)

hardcore! anything that is soft, can clean and dun leave scratches.

For Hoya filters, if its stained with finger marks, then I use a little very diluted soap and wash away with tons of running tap water. I'll try to get rid of the water by waving the filter and leave to dry on a flat surface. For B+W filters, cleaning is easy with a microfibre cloth. Also for lenses (if ever I need to do it)! Of course firstly you should try to get rid of surface dirt by blowing it away - I tend to use compressed air (sold in cans) as it is more efficient than a blower (also I'm very lazy!).

I use several things to clean my filter. I use kodak cleaning fluid with my micro fiber cloth and finnish it off with a cotton cloth.

The best liquid lens cleaner is ROR. Many camera and lens manufacturers, including Hasselblad, use it.

You can bulk order it from the US. About US$8 per 60ml bottle.

at a recent beach shoot, was quite a lot of sea spray on the filter.

lens tissue definitely CMI in situations like this as its really non-absorbent. neither did th eblower work.

best way i found is a soft cloth and breath..

This is what I usually do.
    Blower -> Antistatic Brush -> Microfiber cloth (with breath vapor)
    If the first step is not enough, I do the second step. If the second step is not enough, 99% of the time the third step will take care of it. I do not use cleaning liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by rchia23
    Microfiber cloth Can buy 3M ones from most supermarket. Around $6 if i recall correctly. Cloth can be used for wiping spectacles and CDs too. Go get this amazing piece of cloth
    Is there a brand name for this 3M microfibre cloth? Or at which section can it be found? I have heard about it some time ago but still fail to find one in supermart.

Quote Originally Posted by cheersjy
    Is there a brand name for this 3M microfibre cloth? Or at which section can it be found? I have heard about it some time ago but still fail to find one in supermart.
    i think its quite common, i remember seeing it all the time. brand is 3m, cant remember if they have a sub brand or line for it, but ull know when u see it. the 3M logo always quite big hehe

for me i use microfibe cloth and lenspen to clean my lenses, usually when ive just got it from someone... seldom do my lenses get dirty so usually i just blow on it to get rid o d dust. but i still do period cleaning using cloth/lenspen every few mos or so just to be sure they're clean

Quote Originally Posted by tangoinquestion
    i think its quite common, i remember seeing it all the time. brand is 3m, cant remember if they have a sub brand or line for it, but ull know when u see it. the 3M logo always quite big hehe
    Is this the one? Just to confirm. Thanks

http://www.shoplet.com/office/limages/CMMM9866.JPG

Optical cloth with cleaning liquid.

If really bo bian last resort, die die must clean, I just use any cloth available. Which can be tissue paper or t shirt.

not sure is it will spoil or protect my lense

but i use 100% pure ethanol to clean my lenses

[we drink ethanol which makes us high... methanol is the poisonous one... and my 100% is lab grade]

there are two grades
    industrial grade for cleaning bench top or equipment for sterility
    lab grade used for experiments

hehehe

Can use those spectacles lens cleaning spray and cloth?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123