Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Ho Chi Minh City

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore, East Sider
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    friend recommends to NOT visit cholon around noon time as transport there should be hellishly sluggish, though on the bright side, VN taxi's meter generally do not jump if they do not move.

    remember to take only the legit ones ( vinasun and mailinh)
    1 Camera Body and a couple lenses.

  2. #22
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Quote Originally Posted by LukaviZ View Post
    Vung tau.. hmm. when i was there I stayed at my friend's place, so im not sure what to recommend you for lodging.
    places you have to go would be the Jesus statue, where the view from his arms ( you can go up. ) is quite magnificent. pray for good weather.
    when i was there, weather was humid as hell. lol..

    to cholon by taxi if i recall was about 70k, though that was from a neighbouring district..
    shouldnt cost more than 100k from d1.


    PS: do enjoy the coffee while you're there (Vietnam). it's worth the price, and should be the best coffee you may have ever tasted.
    Thanks thanks... wahaha! Coffee... ice cream... lotus seed... think I go there thin thin come back fat fat...

    Quote Originally Posted by LukaviZ View Post
    friend recommends to NOT visit cholon around noon time as transport there should be hellishly sluggish, though on the bright side, VN taxi's meter generally do not jump if they do not move.

    remember to take only the legit ones ( vinasun and mailinh)
    Noted... if I go around late afternoon will that be ok? around 3-4 pm...

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore, East Sider
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    yup. thats fine. also do avoid 4.45pm onwards. it's rush hour like in singapore, just that the roads are pro-motorcyclists. bikes can weave in traffic. taxis cannot. last time it took me 20minutes to move 200metres. would have covered more ground walking.

    the coffee is really good. i had an average of 2 per day. one in morning and one in afternoon. and im not a coffee fanatic. it's just good.

    also try, saigon beer ( export variant - also known as saigon red ). it's cheap and light to drink ( probably lighter than heineken. ) costed me 70cents sing. lol...
    1 Camera Body and a couple lenses.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Dalat this season is very wet since it rains almost everyday. An you should bring along with you sweaters too - it's getting cold there now.

    (I'm from HCMC)

  5. #25
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Quote Originally Posted by LukaviZ View Post
    yup. thats fine. also do avoid 4.45pm onwards. it's rush hour like in singapore, just that the roads are pro-motorcyclists. bikes can weave in traffic. taxis cannot. last time it took me 20minutes to move 200metres. would have covered more ground walking.

    the coffee is really good. i had an average of 2 per day. one in morning and one in afternoon. and im not a coffee fanatic. it's just good.

    also try, saigon beer ( export variant - also known as saigon red ). it's cheap and light to drink ( probably lighter than heineken. ) costed me 70cents sing. lol...
    Thanks for the info! I am quite a beer addict! Wahaha! Will try their own country's beer...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nngtran View Post
    Dalat this season is very wet since it rains almost everyday. An you should bring along with you sweaters too - it's getting cold there now.

    (I'm from HCMC)
    Noted noted... btw, is it raining for the past few days? I thought the raining season is about to end...

  6. #26
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Need some advise from u guys... May I know what is the rate at Vung Tau to bring me around those nice places? I assume I can get maps from the ferry station bah... :-D

  7. #27

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Quote Originally Posted by postal View Post
    Need some advise from u guys... May I know what is the rate at Vung Tau to bring me around those nice places? I assume I can get maps from the ferry station bah... :-D

    Be very careful with Vung Tau. Conspiracy!

    Always secure return trip at HCM first. Last year in Dec 2009 during my 2nd trip to HCM, I went to Vung Tau on a Sunday. Was told to buy return trip tickets at Vung Tau. When I reached Vung tau (1.5hrs ride) , every ferry company outlet told me all tickets were sold out and I was to wait 30min before the 5pm ferry to buy last minute cancellations. Mind you...they were selling 2 times the price of a ticket.

    If one does not take the ferry, one can choose the taxi that costs like US$180 and journey takes 6-7 hrs. They will 'encourage' you to pool together with stranded tourists and save. Another rip off tactic.

    Fortunately, when we reached Vung Tau via ferry at 10.30am, we stubbornly looked around
    and some touts noticed. One lady dressed like a farmer approached me and a man negotiated on her behalf. We bargained for 1.5 times the original ticket price and the man disagreed and waved on. The lady walked off but came back and sold us a pair of tickets at 1.5x price.

    In the evening, on the way back, we talked with a German family and was told they paid 2.5 times 5 min before ferry started.

    It's a combined effort to rip off tourists. I understand Vietnamese locals buy the ticket at 1/2 price what we pay for. Hence by selling the tickets at 2 times, they collect 4x what they pay for their ticket price and net profit profit is 3.5x.

    On Cu Chi tunnel trip, the Cao Dai is interesting. See my web page for the pictures I had shot with my M8 in 2009 June.

    On Cu Chi, better bring a cover for your camera bag if your bag is costly. The tunnel is very small as you waddle through and is muddy. If you don't cover your cam, good luck.

  8. #28
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
    Be very careful with Vung Tau. Conspiracy!

    Always secure return trip at HCM first. Last year in Dec 2009 during my 2nd trip to HCM, I went to Vung Tau on a Sunday. Was told to buy return trip tickets at Vung Tau. When I reached Vung tau (1.5hrs ride) , every ferry company outlet told me all tickets were sold out and I was to wait 30min before the 5pm ferry to buy last minute cancellations. Mind you...they were selling 2 times the price of a ticket.

    If one does not take the ferry, one can choose the taxi that costs like US$180 and journey takes 6-7 hrs. They will 'encourage' you to pool together with stranded tourists and save. Another rip off tactic.

    Fortunately, when we reached Vung Tau via ferry at 10.30am, we stubbornly looked around
    and some touts noticed. One lady dressed like a farmer approached me and a man negotiated on her behalf. We bargained for 1.5 times the original ticket price and the man disagreed and waved on. The lady walked off but came back and sold us a pair of tickets at 1.5x price.

    In the evening, on the way back, we talked with a German family and was told they paid 2.5 times 5 min before ferry started.

    It's a combined effort to rip off tourists. I understand Vietnamese locals buy the ticket at 1/2 price what we pay for. Hence by selling the tickets at 2 times, they collect 4x what they pay for their ticket price and net profit profit is 3.5x.

    On Cu Chi tunnel trip, the Cao Dai is interesting. See my web page for the pictures I had shot with my M8 in 2009 June.

    On Cu Chi, better bring a cover for your camera bag if your bag is costly. The tunnel is very small as you waddle through and is muddy. If you don't cover your cam, good luck.
    Noted noted... thanks a lot for the information! I will secure the return ferry tickets at HCMC then... BTW, if I wanna travel around Vung Tau... is the taxi safe? Anything I should take note of?

    Regarding Cu Chi... I will be using Think Tank Speed Demon... It got its own rain cover. Guess it will be my first time using the rain cover... Wahaha! Never used it before since I bought it... Thanks for the tip btw!

  9. #29

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Quote Originally Posted by postal View Post
    Noted noted... thanks a lot for the information! I will secure the return ferry tickets at HCMC then... BTW, if I wanna travel around Vung Tau... is the taxi safe? Anything I should take note of?

    Regarding Cu Chi... I will be using Think Tank Speed Demon... It got its own rain cover. Guess it will be my first time using the rain cover... Wahaha! Never used it before since I bought it... Thanks for the tip btw!
    Vung Tau cabs are another issue.

    The one I took from the ferry station to the foot of the statue had the meter tweaked. Moved super super fast. VD 130,000 for a short ride.

    The cabs you take from the road travelling back to the ferry station do not run on meter. have to bargain.

    Vung Tau is tough on tourists and both my friend and I are already dressed like T-short and bermudas and look like a typical Viet - except fatter lah.

  10. #30
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
    Vung Tau cabs are another issue.

    The one I took from the ferry station to the foot of the statue had the meter tweaked. Moved super super fast. VD 130,000 for a short ride.

    The cabs you take from the road travelling back to the ferry station do not run on meter. have to bargain.

    Vung Tau is tough on tourists and both my friend and I are already dressed like T-short and bermudas and look like a typical Viet - except fatter lah.
    Wah seh... guess I bringing my kopi boy image clothing... wahaha! Dude... u are stressing me sia... guess I will have to budget more $$$ for the vung tau trip... BTW, how much is ur taxi ride? My hotel is Ocean Star Hotel... which is near to the back sea... :-D

  11. #31

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    hi... i some infor here on Vung Tau which might prove useful for your trip and to look out for photo opps.
    http://vietnam720.com/travel-tips/36-hours-in-vung-tau/

    I am also planning to go to Vung Tau in Dec (my 1st trip too) and so far, from reviews, it is best to go by hydrofoil, book return tickets, and avoid weekends.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serangoon
    Posts
    3,042

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    first time to HCM ....?
    just shoot lo !

    U go HCM for .....?
    just shoot lo !


    i am on my way to HCM now ! ! !

    & I HCM

    tungtong
    singapore
    I TRY to...Keep the lines of communication open, can U?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tungtong

  13. #33
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Quote Originally Posted by artese View Post
    hi... i some infor here on Vung Tau which might prove useful for your trip and to look out for photo opps.
    http://vietnam720.com/travel-tips/36-hours-in-vung-tau/

    I am also planning to go to Vung Tau in Dec (my 1st trip too) and so far, from reviews, it is best to go by hydrofoil, book return tickets, and avoid weekends.
    Hey man... the webby is very useful! Think I am going to print it out and bring with me to HCMC... :-D Thanks dude!

    Quote Originally Posted by tungtong View Post
    first time to HCM ....?
    just shoot lo !

    U go HCM for .....?
    just shoot lo !


    i am on my way to HCM now ! ! !

    & I HCM

    tungtong
    singapore
    Noted noted.... do upload more photos from there! Like your style of shooting... :-D

  14. #34

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Hello, sorry if this an old thread but I didn't want to double post and the info here are quite useful.

    Is it safe to carry a DSLR around? Coz I don't know any friends who went with a DSLR so I'm not too sure.

  15. #35
    Member postal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok, Singapore
    Posts
    482

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Quote Originally Posted by galovesongs View Post
    Hello, sorry if this an old thread but I didn't want to double post and the info here are quite useful.

    Is it safe to carry a DSLR around? Coz I don't know any friends who went with a DSLR so I'm not too sure.
    In HCMC... reasonably yes... other places I cannot guarantee... my sister got pickpocket at Hanoi... her bag was slash open and her phone was taken...

    As a precaution... buy a travel insurance before u go to Vietnam... if really something happen report to the police at Vietnam... my sister didn't make a report at Vietnam and hence cannot make any claims...

  16. #36

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    i travel to hcmc about once a month, so far ok.....i actually find this is a nice place and a very save place so far....

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Quote Originally Posted by galovesongs View Post
    Hello, sorry if this an old thread but I didn't want to double post and the info here are quite useful.

    Is it safe to carry a DSLR around? Coz I don't know any friends who went with a DSLR so I'm not too sure.
    I too travel about once a month to Saigon and other parts, I never venture around without a camera over my shoulder, never have had a problem, nor do I think I ever should, very safe city. Its more the cheaper hotels that you may be worried about. Just make sure if you leave your camera in your room, to have it locked away in your luggage securely.

    Hope this helps

  18. #38

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Ahh thanks for the reply. Coz I'm bringing my D90 with kit lens along with my group of friends and will be going to HCMC end of this month. Some of my friends told me not to carry a DSLR bag as it'll be really obvious that I have a dslr with me. Not sure but seems like it's quite alright.

    Will check out the travel insurance too! Thanks for all the suggestions!

  19. #39

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Carried a D90 around HCMC for a few days back in july. Didnt get any weird looks frm ppl there, and it felt safer than malaysia.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Ho Chi Minh City

    Awesome! Thank you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •