One question.

How heavy can you carry?

Wah! The lens looks like a camouflage bazooka
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Default Re: I want to buy new zoom lens

Thanks ed9119 brother .... i have a kit 18-55mm will use dis lens

don't spend money without knowing why...

my take is to use the 18-55 until you know more..
    enzeru21 Canon 500D |Tamron17-50mm f/2.8| Sigma30mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
    mylightedreams

Deregistered

TS,first you said you sold off your 18-55

Quote Originally Posted by jejem View Post
    I have sold my kit lens and i do no which zoom lens to buy..pls give me suggestion which one will be best my budget is S$350

pls advice me
    Now you say you have a 18-55

Thanks ed9119 brother .... i have a kit 18-55mm will use dis lens
    So do you really have a 18-55?

Quote Originally Posted by cleonbus View Post
    TS,first you said you sold off your 18-55

Now you say you have a 18-55

So do you really have a 18-55?
    maybe his kit lens wasn't a 18-55???
    mylightedreams

I am having canon 550D and wan to buy a lens .. i want to shoot for indoor party marraige photo ets
    You should buy a flash instead.

If you don't know what you are doing, you will only get ripped off by the shops.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You should buy a flash instead.

If you don't know what you are doing, you will only get ripped off by the shops.
    Buy the flash, and then DIY your lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sispecho View Post
    Buy the flash, and then DIY your lens.
    DIY lens??? meaning put a black cloth with a small hole in the front?
    mylightedreams

i don't know if the op was trying to be sarcastic or not but it was a failed attempt.
    Objection !!!

As i have little bit knowledge on lens so thought of taking help from CS ..
    With dSLR photography, the biggest investment is not on the camera itself, but on the lenses. Yes, you have bought a very decent camera which can be used in all genres.

However, what you have done is forgotten to research the lens part. There are many different types of lenses. From Ultra Wide Angle to long reach Telephoto zoom.

Sadly, they might not have told you that such lenses are usually in the 3- to 4-figure pricing. And the cheapest for a Canon is < $150, but the rest of the lenses are in the higher end range of the 3-figure category.

As such, with $350, you are only able to buy another Kit lens. I am not sure if you have learned to use your kit lens properly first before even considering selling it.

Some members here may have come across as criticizing you but what we want you to do is to learn photography skills first before considering upgrading lenses. So don't take it to heart. Learning photography is not about learning how to use your camera, but rather how to interpret and read the lighting conditions of the scene you want to shoot. It is not about lens, about what speed, about what aperture, what ISO. You have to get the principles correct first.

I can't say for all, but it took me sometime to relearn photography principles before I even bought and started shooting with a dSLR. As such, hope you do heed our advices ... try to excel with your existing gear first, before even considering getting professional quality pictures. Remember, even Lewis Hamilton didn't become the 2008 F1 Champion by just jumping to the cockpit of an F1 car. He had to sweat it on the karting machine first.

As such, have patience, and be open to critiques.

Cheers!
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Quote Originally Posted by dingaroo View Post
    With dSLR photography, the biggest investment is not on the camera itself, but on the lenses. Yes, you have bought a very decent camera which can be used in all genres.

However, what you have done is forgotten to research the lens part. There are many different types of lenses. From Ultra Wide Angle to long reach Telephoto zoom.

Sadly, they might not have told you that such lenses are usually in the 3- to 4-figure pricing. And the cheapest for a Canon is < $150, but the rest of the lenses are in the higher end range of the 3-figure category.

As such, with $350, you are only able to buy another Kit lens. I am not sure if you have learned to use your kit lens properly first before even considering selling it.

Some members here may have come across as criticizing you but what we want you to do is to learn photography skills first before considering upgrading lenses. So don't take it to heart. Learning photography is not about learning how to use your camera, but rather how to interpret and read the lighting conditions of the scene you want to shoot. It is not about lens, about what speed, about what aperture, what ISO. You have to get the principles correct first.

I can't say for all, but it took me sometime to relearn photography principles before I even bought and started shooting with a dSLR. As such, hope you do heed our advices ... try to excel with your existing gear first, before even considering getting professional quality pictures. Remember, even Lewis Hamilton didn't become the 2008 F1 Champion by just jumping to the cockpit of an F1 car. He had to sweat it on the karting machine first.

As such, have patience, and be open to critiques.

Cheers!
    Good advice, having a good lens doesn't make you a good photographer. Just hope that you don't lose money from buying a new kit lens (not sure if you really have a kit lens or not, confused)
    Last edited by spree86; 1st October 2010 at 07:42 PM.

Have 2 questions:

1. What is wrong the kit lens?

2. Why do you think you need a telephoto zoom?

Another advice, better don't use the telephoto zoom to be peeping into your lady neighbor in the next block ... HEHEHEHEHE. Just kidding.

But if you can answer the above the 2 questions, then go ahead with the purchase.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12