Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Vs Hobby how to cope?

Default Work Vs Hobby how to cope?

Hi guys, may I know how you guys atuallya cope with your work scedule and mange your time so well as to enjoy your hobby without neglecting your work. Ever since I started photograhy I've been struggling hard to balance my work and hobby(workout). I've been thinking of knocking early, taking MC and apply for leave just to shoot. I used to wokout 3-4 days a week, but now I been spending more time shooting. I lost 8kg in a month. Is it worth sacrificing my health(lack of exercising) over my newly found hobby(photography very poisonous)? Confused.
    EOS 7D-Canon 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS/ Sigma 18-200mm F3.5 OS/ EF50mm f1.8/ Speedlite 580EX2

Default Re: Work Vs Hobby how to cope?

lost 8kg a month from shooting alot? man i have to start clocking up that shuttercount!

Quote Originally Posted by bylim View Post
    lost 8kg a month from shooting alot? man i have to start clocking up that shuttercount!
    Yup very sad..current shutter count ermmm .......1000 =x
    EOS 7D-Canon 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS/ Sigma 18-200mm F3.5 OS/ EF50mm f1.8/ Speedlite 580EX2

Then turn your hobby into your work

If you have to do what you mentioned, in order to satisfy your shooting urge, then you better hope and pray that your boss or colleagues are not reading this.

I guess you already have your answer. Bread and butter issue vs things to do during your free time...

Workout and shoot together? Get one of those bazooka lenses and go on a hiking + birding trip and hand-hold yr camera setup all the way

quit your job. Let your wife work.
    All settled and you can live like a real man.

Life is all about personal choices.

TS, you mentioned photography is your hobby (an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation).
    However, it seems that you are over-passionate about this hobby and even think of knocking off early, taking MC and apply leave to shoot?
    Losing 8KG for photography, it is better than workout.
    I guess you are old enough to differentiate and weigh between a career and hobby. Unless you choose to make your hobby your career. Hope your manager/boss is not a CSer to read about 'knocking off early, taking MC and apply leave to shoot'.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Blog Entries

make the sacrifices...........

I used to get to bed by 10pm latest and get up at 5am a few times a week to just go out and shoot and still be at work alert and on time ....... it really 'freshened' me up in the mornings ... and never realized until then that the world was SUCH a different place compared to other times of the day
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Between work and hobby, you are able to strike a balance.

However, when you have family and kids, then you probably have no choice but to shelf your hobbies like me...final choice is only family and work.

i only have the luxury to shoot on fri evenings (weekday evenings too tired so went home), and weekends (sun is nua day...)

i hope someday i will be hardworking enough to wake up early during a saturday to do some shoots...

work first, hobby later.
    unless you have lots of leave to clear then take one day a week for shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronlim81 View Post
    Hi guys, may I know how you guys atuallya cope with your work scedule and mange your time so well as to enjoy your hobby without neglecting your work. Ever since I started photograhy I've been struggling hard to balance my work and hobby(workout). I've been thinking of knocking early, taking MC and apply for leave just to shoot. I used to wokout 3-4 days a week, but now I been spending more time shooting. I lost 8kg in a month. Is it worth sacrificing my health(lack of exercising) over my newly found hobby(photography very poisonous)? Confused.
    Firstly you must be very clear with the definitions of "work" and "hobby".

A hobby is an activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, typically done during one's leisure time..... from wiki

You work for a living and supporting your family but at the same time one must enjoy our work and to make sure that the work will not and should not affect your physical, mental and spiritual mind.

Exercise and hobby is also different. But if you take your photography hobby as your exercise regime, then your cam and gears will also be with you.

But remember, photography as a hobby will never fill your stomach or take care of your family. You will need to choose yourself.

To be practical and realistic, I chose work.
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Workout and shoot together? Get one of those bazooka lenses and go on a hiking + birding trip and hand-hold yr camera setup all the way
    TS, this is lead#1. I do this whenever I go birding. You know how much your body can take the punishment. So, you set the limit. I know some would say we are crazy to shoot in such manner

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    make the sacrifices...........

I used to get to bed by 10pm latest and get up at 5am a few times a week to just go out and shoot and still be at work alert and on time ....... it really 'freshened' me up in the mornings ... and never realized until then that the world was SUCH a different place compared to other times of the day
    this is psychologically refreshens me everytime i see the world at such times. coupled with fresh air, serenity of the atmosphere, you'll feel healthier in no time. so, go for all these as suggested by them
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

Wow! A very dramatic story. Looks like you are very passionate about your hobby. Do think about the definition of hobby as highlighted by few bros. Sorry, I keep noticing the gramma errors in your message, did you purposely spell the words wrongly?

It sound more like an obsession

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
    Wow! A very dramatic story. Looks like you are very passionate about your hobby. Do think about the definition of hobby as highlighted by few bros. Sorry, I keep noticing the gramma errors in your message, did you purposely spell the words wrongly?
    Arghhh my fat finger too big iPhone keypad too small. Furthermore I'm not very well educated,please try to catch the ball and bear with it. Trying to improve already.. Been busying packing up my stuff for my holiday to Taiwan tomorrow morning that why didn't response. I did read through once in awhile about the advices you guys gave me. Pardon me for not replying. Appreciated the effort you guys put in for answering my doubts. Anyway like some bros mentioned, hobby just part time and it's doesn't help me support my family, in fact it's a liability to me. Always tends to buy buy buy, when wife found out nag nag nag. Irritating but I can't quit the bad habit of buy buy buy. Unless I stop mixing with photographer and ban myself for entering forum.

Papajango-Bro I used to carry my 150-500 going up an downhill too. Camera 1kg,flash 0.5kg, 150-500 2kg tripod 2kg approximately 5kg for few hours. Its do make me sweat like hell...I thought we should be enjoying our hobby?

[QUOTE=Aaronlim81;6551962.

Papajango-Bro I used to carry my 150-500 going up an downhill too. Camera 1kg,flash 0.5kg, 150-500 2kg tripod 2kg approximately 5kg for few hours. Its do make me sweat like hell...I thought we should be enjoying our hobby?[/QUOTE]

what you did was purely physical my friend. when you are into birding,how much 'catch' would you want for that day? you want to shoot all the birds in that area? have you really look into all the keeper shots that you've got so far?

equipment wise, i've not venture into what you have so far. my gears do limit how much i can go,but i set myself a target whenever i walk into the park or wooded areas. don't rush into getting that 'shot' in the fastest timeframe. framing,breathing techniques,understand nature and its behaviour coupled with your gears works hand in hand.
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

To manage your daily work flow, u can set a daily time-table for each week and work at it so that u can have time for shooting 3 times a week, duration set at 2 hrs. exercise set at 1 hr for 3 days a week, etc.....This is how people manage time with work and play.

time is there when you find it.

i don't take lunch, i work out then.

weekends, whenever the weather is good and i'm up for it, i will go to shoot. it is easy to think that wa, so mar fun, so ley chey, weekday work, weekend still go and shoot... but the feeling when you see a beautiful sunset... beats any resting at home, everytime.

and it is that promise that i have a chance to catch something beautiful, that gets me travelling to those far away places every single time. getting myself wet, standing amidst the waves... that is true rest.

whatever it is, work still comes first. if you can't even handle your basic responsibility to your job, what talk is there about hobby?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast