Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does "reserved" mean?

Default Re: What does "reserved" mean?

To me, if u allow someone to reserve an item without a deposit, then u are just asking for it.

Look at it from a buyers perspective, it makes sense for me to register my interest by reserving an item, but there is no impetus for me to go through with the purchase cause i have not paid a deposit for it. From a sellers perspective, if u allow someone to reserve, then u are restricting yourself to not being able to sell it to someone else.

Its not a question of terminology and whether other members abide by it - even if CS were to come up with a code of conduct for members, there is still no way for the code to be policed and punishment meted out to people who break the code.

Bottom line, potential buyers can agree to anything, but they have no obligation to carry it out should they decide not to buy. If u wanna B&S, then learn to be a smart seller fast.

Nice one Uncle catchlights! LOLz!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    suggestion to be include in B&S thread:

lens for sale, buy now price @ $500.00, ($50 or 10% cheaper than average 2nd hand price which ever is higher)

first sms/call/email reply for arranging for meeting is free, subsequent sms/call/email at $1.00 per reply.

meeting outside resident/workplace area no more than 100m away is free, further than that is $1 per 100m

meeting duration first 10min is free, subsequent time at $1 per min.
    late for appointment is $5 per min.

reserve for viewing, $50.00 or 20% of the selling price whichever is lower
    after viewing without making a deal, $35.00

borrowing item from selling to check item for sale, charges are follow,
    camera body $20.00
    camera lens (kit lens or 50mm lens only) $10.00
    flash $15.00
    memory card $5.00
    battery $5.00
    Sir, if I put up this kind of thread, I'm quite sure nobody would respond leh

I wish (probably foolishly) that all transactions could be carried out with decency and integrity.
    Exploring! :)

ask for $5 to $10 deposit to reserve?
    to be offset against purchase price or refunded if sale doesn't go through?
    it's not a big amount so people really interested probably won't mind paying. People playing the fool won't pay anyway so then they are filtered out of the transactions.

So then the question is how to prevent sellers out to cheat by asking for deposits, collecting from many potential buyers then disappear? Post a thread in Consumer's Corner and tell people not to deal with this scammer lor.
    Insults so far:
    "Sad, got hypocrite like u.", greenieadi(2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Muckafutha View Post
    ask for $5 to $10 deposit to reserve?
    to be offset against purchase price or refunded if sale doesn't go through?
    it's not a big amount so people really interested probably won't mind paying. People playing the fool won't pay anyway so then they are filtered out of the transactions.

So then the question is how to prevent sellers out to cheat by asking for deposits, collecting from many potential buyers then disappear? Post a thread in Consumer's Corner and tell people not to deal with this scammer lor.
    You got a point. I think there are as many sellers as buyers who are lacking in integrity.

The situation is difficult to police, that's why most people are resigned to it.
    I have been extremely fortunate to have encountered many decent CSers in all my transactions.
    Maybe instead of naming bad ones, we should praise good ones? Like ebay's rating system
    Exploring! :)

Arrow Re: What does "reserved" mean?

What you've experienced are buyers who buys from CS members at cheaper prices then sells the items at a higher price to other CS members.

Quote Originally Posted by hydroburn249 View Post
    Hi guys what exactly is the understanding of reserved in the buy and sell forum? Reason i ask is because i received this PM about a lens i was selling.

"if so, then consider it reserved for me? meet and deal fast in the coming days."

from what i understood, buyer is interested in the lens and is serious about buying it, even going to the extent of saying that will deal in the coming days.

following further correspondence, buyer replied: "can i view tmrw? i'll be at the east till 2 then the north from 2 onwards."

feeling excited i'm finally making a sale, i actually went to the trouble of getting a small box plus bubble wrap to protect the lens on transit. that night, i sent an SMS to the buyer, asking confirmation of location. no reply.

i brought the lens along for my errand in the morning, and sent another text message asking for a confirmation again.

to which i received a reply "hi sorry i didnt reply earlier on the lens but i got myself another lens already. so yeah. thanks."

i got really pissed off at this, because i understand if a buyer backs out of a deal because they arent happy with the lens on inspection, but to back out of a "reserved" deal and not tell the person? furthermore, he could have replied the PM i sent that he already got a lens the night before or something. instead of on the morning of the meet?

i guess live and let live. which was the advice the buyer gave to me. "maybe you're new to cs and all, so just relax. things like this will happen. sorry again."

so i'd like to ask, does reserve mean "i'm interested, please tell others its not for sale anymore" or what?

thanks for reading my long rant.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Sir, if I put up this kind of thread, I'm quite sure nobody would respond leh

I wish (probably foolishly) that all transactions could be carried out with decency and integrity.
    the point is to tell everyone don't take other people time and efforts for granted,
    some people has too much free time to spare, but others people don't.

the only way to make such people realize the problem is to put a price tag to everything does not belong to them.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12